Best Headphones For Music Production

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I know there's some cool gear in the music industry, I need a good Headphones for production, there's a lot of good ones there, but people recommend Sennheiser HD 280 Pro or AKG 240 MKII, what do you guys think?

This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

It depends on your needs and your budget. You generally get the best one in the budget range. What's your budget?

As for your needs, are you producing at home, on-the-go, in a quiet or noisy environment? This determines whether you have closed- or open-back. You'd want open-back if possible since it has a better soundstage.

Do you have a headphone amp? Studio headphone benefit from an amp. If you have an audio interface it most likely has a headphone amp in it.

Do you want a detachable cable? Helps when you're working in a studio where it can be long as you move around a huge mixing desk, but if you're on a laptop, you want a shorter cable. Also helps if you need to replace a cable instead of the entire headphone, especially if you have no soldering skills. This will narrow the selections down considerably.

Aside from Morphit, take a look at Sonarworks Reference, they'll calibrate your monitors too. https://www.sonarworks.com/reference

I watched some youtube vids and got a pair based on the tip of someone I trust (ManchesterMusic). From colleagues I then heard about the plugin Reference 4 that compensates for different pro audio headphones coloration which I found fascinating. This should mean that using any pair that's supported you'd get the same sound. After that I'd base my choice on comfort. Right now I have the Audio Technica ATM M50, but will probably go for a Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro they look comfortable. Next time I'll probably buy a precalibrated pair from sonarworks. (I'll also have two pairs to compare between)

Here's their headphone store page: https://store.sonarworks.com/collection ... ar-new-you

This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

mrj1nx wrote:Right now I have the Audio Technica ATM M50, but will probably go for a Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro they look comfortable.
In my opinion, they are actually a very good combo ;). I got the ATH-M50s and DT880 Pros at the same time something like six years ago, upgrading my headphone situation back then, and I have used them both extensively ever since. They give a different view into the mix, complement each other really well, and are very dependable when alternating between them when creating a headphone mix. After much pondering and test listening, this was my preference over one single pair of higher-end headphones, and it's the sweet spot for me.

I use a AKG702 and love it

I'm in a relationship with my V6s. Brilliantly clear, everything I need for accurate monitoring.
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

Headphones are a very personal thing so if you have a chance to demo before you buy that's really the best way. Not only is the sound important but also the feeling of wearing them for hours and hours. Mechanical quality should be considered as well because broken headbands, etc, can spell trouble.

I use the AKG K701 and I love them. I also have Reference 3 from Sonarworks.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

ATN69 wrote:Headphones are a very personal thing so if you have a chance to demo before you buy that's really the best way. Not only is the sound important but also the feeling of wearing them for hours and hours. Mechanical quality should be considered as well because broken headbands, etc, can spell trouble.

+1 here. Sadly I didn't get the chance to do so, and ended up with less than a years use out of my M40s before they broke. Turned out I should have gone with the Sonys in the first place. :cry:

zenophilix wrote:
ATN69 wrote:Headphones are a very personal thing so if you have a chance to demo before you buy that's really the best way. Not only is the sound important but also the feeling of wearing them for hours and hours. Mechanical quality should be considered as well because broken headbands, etc, can spell trouble.

+1 here. Sadly I didn't get the chance to do so, and ended up with less than a years use out of my M40s before they broke. Turned out I should have gone with the Sonys in the first place. :cry:
Happened to me to. I bought a cheaper model from AKG first. It was a pair of white K520. They lasted less than a year when the headband broke. They sounded good though. After that I bought a pair of K99 which I still have, but not so comfortable to wear. Finally I told myself to spend some real money :D ..and got the K701.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

ATN69 wrote:
zenophilix wrote:

Happened to me to. I bought a cheaper model from AKG first. It was a pair of white K520. They lasted less than a year when the headband broke. They sounded good though. After that I bought a pair of K99 which I still have, but not so comfortable to wear. Finally I told myself to spend some real money :D ..and got the K701.
Oof, that hurts - even more expensive than mine were, if the current price on Amazon is correct. :o Heard good things in the past about the K701s, glad it worked out for you! :tu: Sadly, spending more than $100 or thereabouts on headphones is a bit out of reach for me at the moment. :hihi:

Oof, that hurts - even more expensive than mine were, if the current price on Amazon is correct. :o Heard good things in the past about the K701s, glad it worked out for you! :tu: Sadly, spending more than $100 or thereabouts on headphones is a bit out of reach for me at the moment. :hihi:
I get your point. That is how I was thinking to, but looking back I realise I should have bought something like the K701 right away because in the end I just spent more money by buying less good things :lol: ..why I never learn?!

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”