VK-1 Viking Synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Nice for pay what you want.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVmlgT ... subscriber

Advocator of free and open source software.

Not sure why others are slagging this off, this is a nice little pay-what-you-like synth.

Russell Grand wrote:Not sure why others are slagging this off, this is a nice little pay-what-you-like synth.
I don't think pointing out that it sounds dated or asking why the company would put this forward as their debut VST is quite 'slagging it off.' And they suggest a $60 price tag, which invites comparisons to synths in that same range, say Tal UNO LX.

I think if they hoped to make a splash, their VK-2 would have been a better test subject. If it is Diva quality like some say, it would go over rather well.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

And honestly, pay what you want isn't screaming 'this is quality.' Somehow I doubt many have given them the asking price.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

We can agree to disagree. :wink:

Russell Grand wrote:Not sure why others are slagging this off, this is a nice little pay-what-you-like synth.
I don't like the way it sounds, simple as that. This might have been relevant in 2003 but now ? No. :wink:

Pay-what-you-like doesn't count if you don't-like-it...... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:
Pay-what-you-like doesn't count if you don't like it...... :shrug:
:lol:

Made some presets but never use 64bit application to make soundbank,probably have to use default library or something like mulab,will focus on it next year...any ideas for such application in 64bit environment ...

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

That some people don't like this synth doesn't surprise me. Some people don't like Omnisphere. Some people like only ONE synth and hate everything else. So why is this such a surprise or shock?

To me, it's a perfectly usable synth. It may not be anything earth shattering but compared to most of the SynthEdit synths that I downloaded early on, this thing makes sushi out of them. So everything's relative.

Teksonik wrote:
I don't like the way it sounds, simple as that. This might have been relevant in 2003 but now ? No. :wink:
I remember recently reinstalling some old synths I have that came with an older version of Sonar, and they sounded pretty bad compared to modern synths. I was a little surprised, as at first I was thinking "Maybe this will sound ok, let me install it again..." then I was like...ugghh... :dog: uninstall time...

wagtunes wrote:That some people don't like this synth doesn't surprise me. Some people don't like Omnisphere. Some people like only ONE synth and hate everything else. So why is this such a surprise or shock?
I own and love dozens of synths. Which is why VK-1 doesn't impress me at all.

A mono only synth two weeks before 2018 ? Mono option yes but mono only ? When you think of the quality of freeware synths that are available now VK-1 simple doesn't make the cut at any price. It sounds bland (in my opinion), has a limited feature set and has a pretty awful GUI which I'm surprised the usual suspects haven't complained about being too small.
wagtunes wrote:To me, it's a perfectly usable synth.
So how much did you pay for it ?
wagtunes wrote:It may not be anything earth shattering but compared to most of the SynthEdit synths that I downloaded early on, this thing makes sushi out of them. So everything's relative.
How many of those SynthEdit synths did you "pay what you want" to get .vs how many did you get for free ? Like I said maybe in 2003 this might have been relevant but only newbies or those with only a few bottom tier synths in their arsenal would be impressed with it now. (in my opinion)

Any commercial synth released now has to do one or both of two things to make a splash:

1. It has to do something new.

2. It has to do something better.

VK-1 does neither. :wink:

Anyway out of fairness I'll try VK-2 when there is a demo. I realize VK-1 is just a test conversion of an older synth, a move that might not have been the best for Blamsoft. Perhaps VK-2 will do something new or do something better....... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

How much did you pay for it?

I paid a few dollars. It was worth it.
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Nielzie wrote:I paid a few dollars. It was worth it.
I wouldn't use VK-1 if it was free......see my points above. :shrug:

Return to “Instruments”