Best software (DAW, fx plugins, instrument plugins) for unrestricted install

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ghettosynth wrote:So why I do like Macs is OS X. I don't find it easier to use, per se, the entire Mac is easy thing never washed with me, I hated OS9 and predecessors. What I like about OS X is that it is very much a unix underneath and I like how that manifests in the user space. I much prefer scripting on a Mac and so if I have a bunch of batch processing of files to do, e.g., converting samples, I will always choose to do that on the Mac.
Thanks, that's interesting. I've used *nix a lot more recently than I used a Mac, and every now and then I miss the power of scripting there.

surreal wrote:Synth1 and Tyrell highly recommended.. no restrictions or install counts!!
Thanks, Uhe we've got covered. I'm going to leave Synth1 off of the main list. It's well known and is really pure freeware so it kind of goes without saying that there's no hassle installing it. I probably should have been more clear. Free software that will be included is the free software from those vendors who use freebies as a promo but that still meets the other requirements. If I were to list everyone's freeware choices, the list would explode and that's not useful.

For example, Steinberg's Halion Sonic SE is free, but it requires you to jump through hoops to install it on a new machine and needs eLicenser so it's a no-go. Similarly, Slate has some cool freebies, but they are still iLok IIRC. Uhe's free software clearly meets the requirements, but so does all of their software, so there's no need to list the free stuff separately.

The listed Orban Loudness Meter is a good example of the type of freebie that I want to include. It's developed by a company that doesn't just produce freeware and is well known and respected in the industry and so you wouldn't necessarily expect to find a freeware plugin from them.

ghettosynth wrote:Soundspot also doesn't meet my personal quality criteria.
Yeah, I demoed them and promptly uninstalled them all.
That seems odd, do you just mean a normal zip file password? Is it unique to each customer? What's the point? I don't get it.
Yes, it is a regular zip file using the standard password option. It's because the update files are a freely available download and I suppose it is easier at this stage to do that versus creating website accounts or some other download/authentication gate. The initial download link is unique and sent via email, and expires. That zip file wasn't password-protected.

There wasn't a license supplied with it so it, at least in the United States, reverts to normal copyright rules, where you can make as many personal copies as you want since it was sold to you.

The Mac version is in beta and Linux is planned.

yellowmix wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:Soundspot also doesn't meet my personal quality criteria.
Yeah, I demoed them and promptly uninstalled them all.
Indeed, the reverb is laughably bad.

That seems odd, do you just mean a normal zip file password? Is it unique to each customer? What's the point? I don't get it.
Yes, it is a regular zip file using the standard password option. It's because the update files are a freely available download and I suppose it is easier at this stage to do that versus creating website accounts or some other download/authentication gate. The initial download link is unique and sent via email, and expires. That zip file wasn't password-protected.

There wasn't a license supplied with it so it, at least in the United States, reverts to normal copyright rules, where you can make as many personal copies as you want since it was sold to you.

The Mac version is in beta and Linux is planned.
[/quote]

I see, thanks.

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wavesfactory Trackspacer - Serial #
2CAudio - Serial # - "We do not employ authoritarian copy-protection schemes or hardware dongles."
Tritik - license file
Plogue - binary license file, contains name, address, phone, email. explicit unlimited installs.
Blue Cat Audio - license files - "You can install the software on several machines if you wish, as long as you are the owner and only user of the software on these machine."
Fathom - no explicit license, password protected download
Audiority - license file

Edit: Necro'd thread, please forgive any repeats.
Last edited by yellowmix on Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hi

CableGuys use a keyfile
Sugar bytes use a serial
SynthMaster use a keyfile
Auditory plugins use a licence file
HY plugins use a keyfile
Toneboosters plugins use a serial
Ohm Force plugins use a serial

FYI: (A) Keep a word document and copy and paste your serials onto it, update as you buy new ones and keep a copy in 2/3 places - preferable on your DAW computer and OFF your DAW computer on a thumb drive/external drive or even a printed copy.
(B) Keep a copy of all your keyfiles on your DAW and also OFF your DAW computer on a memory stick/thumb drive.
(C) Keep the original E Mail receipt that contained your purchase as it will also have the serial/keyfile attached (probably).

original flipper wrote: A bit of advice: (A) Keep a word document and copy and paste your serials onto it, update as you buy new ones and keep a copy in 2/3 places - preferable on your DAW computer and OFF your DAW computer on a thumb drive/external drive or even a printed copy.
(B) Keep a copy of all your keyfiles on your DAW and also OFF your DAW computer on a memory stick/thumb drive.
(C) Keep the original E Mail receipt that contained your purchase as it will also have the serial/keyfile attached (probably).
Why a Word file? Do you need Microsoft Word to store some simple text?
I keep each serial in a txt file in a folder with the installer. The whole drive is back-upped every day on an external hdd. And archived on 2 different 2.5" drives every year. I'm also planning to add all serials and account logins to my password manager (KeePass 2).
None of the above is on my DAW - I use that to make music, not for storing files / backup / archiving.

yellowmix wrote:Wavesfactory Trackspacer - Serial #
2CAudio - Serial # - "We do not employ authoritarian copy-protection schemes or hardware dongles."
Tritik - license file
Plogue - binary license file, contains name, address, phone, email. explicit unlimited installs.
Blue Cat Audio - license files - "You can install the software on several machines if you wish, as long as you are the owner and only user of the software on these machine."
Fathom - no explicit license, password protected download
Audiority - license file

Edit: Necro'd thread, please forgive any repeats.

FYI: this is not a "necro'd" thread in the usual sense. Just one that I've ignored for a few weeks. I will rebump it whenever there is new information. I will add any non-repeats to the list. Thanks for the input.

BTW: I just let it sleep during the sale season. I'm now focused on consolidating things now that the sales are largely over for the season.

yellowmix wrote: Fathom - no explicit license, password protected download
Do you mean Fathom Synth, or something else?

Hi
Why a Word file? Do you need Microsoft Word to store some simple text?
No you don't, it was the first thing that came to my mind for storing some text on a Windows computer - a text file is fine.
I keep each serial in a txt file in a folder with the installer. The whole drive is back-upped every day on an external hdd. And archived on 2 different 2.5" drives every year. I'm also planning to add all serials and account logins to my password manager (KeePass 2).
None of the above is on my DAW - I use that to make music, not for storing files / backup / archiving.
Yes, that should keep your files safe, bar perhaps the SUN giving off an unprecedented high level of flare activity...

Wusik plugins use a serial

Blamsoft - new to VST, but developers of iOS AU and REs

First offering VK-1 Synth is Pay What You Want. No dongle, online account, or license key.

http://blamsoft.com/vst/vk-1-viking-synthesizer/

I noticed that Plug and Mix was mentioned...

I did a complete re-install of everything recently - I actually deleted the old partition and created a new one. I know that doesn't delete the data, but I think the old mbr or whatever Win10 uses, does get deleted.
Anyway, when I install the P&M stuff and open any of the plugins in Cubase, they work straight off - no demo-hiss, no request for a serial number, etc.
Same goes for the Kuasa stuff.
Can't remember where I downloaded the P&M installer from - user area or whatever, but the Kuasa ones I got straight from the Kuasa public download link.
And yes, my copies are paid for and legal!

ghettosynth wrote:
yellowmix wrote: Fathom - no explicit license, password protected download
Do you mean Fathom Synth, or something else?
Yes, that was intended to refer to Fathom Synth from Seaweed Audio.

Admiral Quality uses keyfiles.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”