Best headphones for music production with a good budget

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I know there are many threads here about the same topic, but almost everyone is suggesting headphones in the 200 euros price range or less, like Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro and akg k271.
There are instead many alternatives with a higher price range, and I know that usually you get more if you pay more.
I'm looking at Sennheiser HD650 and HD800 and many reviews say good things about them, but they don't seem to be popular here. Is it only because they are too much expensive? Or simply they are not enough different from the cheaper ones to justify the price?

I'm an hobbyist in music production, but nevertheless I prefer to have good equipment if I can. Now I'm using a pair of Sennheiser HD595 twenty years old, so I think it's time for an upgrade.

So, what do you suggest to buy with a potential budget of 1000 euros? The higher the price the better, or not?

Do you want them to be open, or maybe you need them closed? Beyerdynamic recently released upgrades for two of three of their legendary studio headphones. What you get for the price isn't probably worth it (unless you have an excellent trained ear), but the quality is stunning and the design is fantastic so if you are willing to pay for it - check them out. I was in your shoes and wanted a closed ones and picked DT 1770 PRO. I don't think there's a way to spend $1000 on closed studio-worthy headphones, so for me it was thee only choice :)

Best pair of headphones I've ever had the chance to try were the Senn HD700. Absolutely incredible.
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

The HD700s are very good. I tried them too....or was it the HD800...can't remember now. In any case, if the budget allows, I'd choose these over the HD650. I have these and do not rate them for critical, pro music production use. But the higher end HD's compensate for the HD650 shortcomings.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

himalaya wrote:The HD700s are very good. I tried them too....or was it the HD800...can't remember now. In any case, if the budget allows, I'd choose these over the HD650. I have these and do not rate them for critical, pro music production use. But the higher end HD's compensate for the HD650 shortcomings.
Hmm, now you've got me uncertain too. :hihi:

Beyerdynamic dt 770.

+1 on the Beyerdynamic DT770. I have used mine for several years and don’t regret the purchase. I wouldn’t necessarily say the higher the price, the better. These things can be very subjective, based on individual hearing. It may be helpful to gather a few suggestions from the web and then try them out at your local music store to see how they work for you. It doesn’t matter if 100% of the people on here and elsewhere say something sounds great, if it sounds like cr@p to you.

I had HD800, AKG K701 and DT880 Pro and for mixing/mastering I preferred 880s so kept them. 880s + Sonarworks Reference is a fantastic combo imo.

:-) we are quite the same i have a hd650 a k701 and dt 990 pro , and sonarworks reference, my favorite is also the dt990 + sonarworks reference. Without sonarworks reference the hd650 is flatter for mixing but when i start producing a song i prefer the dt990, ...i don t really like the k701...don t know why maybe not enough sub bass but was useful when i didn t have the sonarworks reference...to reference...

Regards

Hello,

reference here. I would like my word back.

AKG K712 pros are definitely worth checking, they are an improved version of K701/2's with more bass. Fantastic clarity and soundstage.

As I wrote in the other recent headphones thread, I actually prefer using DT880 Pro and ATH-M50 as a combo when doing things on headphones, A/B:ing between those two. Instead of using only a single model more expensive than those.

For recording outdoors, I have these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LteXaP-_bA4

2:43 is quite hardcore for headphones :D

( * I don't have some extra branded / signature / logo print / blabla version as on the video, though, but the normal German Maestro model, functionally identical to those)

Guenon wrote:As I wrote in the other recent headphones thread, I actually prefer using DT880 Pro and ATH-M50 as a combo when doing things on headphones, A/B:ing between those two. Instead of using only a single model more expensive than those.

For recording outdoors, I have these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LteXaP-_bA4

2:43 is quite hardcore for headphones :D

( * I don't have some extra branded / signature / logo print / blabla version as on the video, though, but the normal German Maestro model, functionally identical to those)

I have the AKG K712 pros and the AKG 240 MK IIs . The 240s were not giving me enough detail in the bass to really hone in any issues. The 712s were much more revealing. The 240s told me something was wrong... the 712s pointed me in the right direction toward a fix. I have also spend time with the 702s and I think they are excellent as well.

.jon wrote:AKG K712 pros are definitely worth checking, they are an improved version of K701/2's with more bass. Fantastic clarity and soundstage.

Thanks everyone for your input. :)
I don't need them to be closed because I will work in a separate and quiet room.
Sadly I can't test any of the headphones cited here since the nearest store big enough to have them is 50km away from me, and also I'm not sure I have enough experience to judge them right.
To be honest I was hoping that the winner would have been the HD800, so it would have been easier to choose.
Instead it seems like the winner is Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro with Sonarworks Reference.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”