Can Dune 2 load Serum wavetables?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just wondering. It's on sale ATM, and it seems attractive to be able to load custom wavetables (i don't own a synth yet which does this). So, does it load the Serum wavetable format? I know there's a lot of wavetables floating around the net in that format, so, would be great to be able to load those.

chk071 wrote:Just wondering. It's on sale ATM, and it seems attractive to be able to load custom wavetables (i don't own a synth yet which does this). So, does it load the Serum wavetable format? I know there's a lot of wavetables floating around the net in that format, so, would be great to be able to load those.
What I do is take a Serum WT, load it into Audio Term, convert to Dune 2 format and then load into Dune 2.

Thanks, that seems easy enough. :) Guess i should familiarize myself a bit with the different wavetable formats then...

Note that DUNE2 wavetables have up to a maximum of 64 slots and AudioTerm exports a maximum of 33(?) slots. So, 'pruning' decisions will need to be made for any Serum wavetables that are larger than that.
Wavetables for DUNE2/3, Blofeld, IL Harmor, Hive and Serum etc: http://charlesdickens.neocities.org/
£10 for lifetime updates including wavetable editor for Windows.

Music: https://soundcloud.com/markholt

Hm, that's bad indeed... is there any other software which converts wavetables? Or any other way to convert those? Frankly, i have no idea about the respective formats.

chk071 wrote:Hm, that's bad indeed... is there any other software which converts wavetables? Or any other way to convert those? Frankly, i have no idea about the respective formats.
Yeah, not ideal, but unless somebody has a better solution, that's all I got. Dune 2 is just limited as far as what it can do as far as wavetables. It's really not compatible with a Serum wavetable especially if you're talking about a wavetable that's over Dune 2's limit. Kind of like trying to squeeze 10 pounds of ham into a 5 pound bag. Some of it's gonna end up on the floor.

Why not get Serum in the first place? 8)

fluffy_little_something wrote:Why not get Serum in the first place? 8)
Because the two synths are nothing alike. People who like Dune 2 may not like Serum. The sounds are totally different. And naturally, a Serum wavetable is going to sound different in Dune 2 as well. But if you want to use those wavetables in Dune 2, it would be nice to know that you can.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Why not get Serum in the first place? 8)
It's expensive. Hard to justify an almost 200 € expense, when you normally shell out 100 € max for something like it. You're right though, it seems much more flexible as a wavetable synth, hence would make more sense in my case. I'll pass on Dune 2, and wait for Dune 3, which obviously will have a wavetable editor/creator built in, the way i understood it, and hopefully also comes with the Legend filters, and other enhancements.

I doubt it will have Legend filters, they would hurt their Legend sales because Dune as such is much more capable than Legend in terms of features and flexibility. So the filter is one of the few things why people buy Legend.

Can't you get Serum per rent to buy?

fluffy_little_something wrote:I doubt it will have Legend filters, they would hurt their Legend sales because Dune as such is much more capable than Legend in terms of features and flexibility. So the filter is one of the few things why people buy Legend.
As far as i read, they will implement some things from Legend.
fluffy_little_something wrote:Can't you get Serum per rent to buy?
Yes. It'll still cost 189 € or so then though. :P

What is the time period it takes to pay for Serum that way?

It says $9,99 per month here: https://splice.com/plugins/15493-serum- ... er-records So, 19 months, i guess.

My issue isn't the financing though, i could pay 189 € for it, it's just that i think that's way too expensive. Zebra 2, for example, is much more comprehensive, and costs the same. And, i'm not a fan of a no-sales policy either. Seems like an island system in the ocean of usual commerce, and i'm not sure if it's worth supporting such a policy. I don't see anything unfair about charging the impatient, or "i want it now!" crowd more than the crown which is prone to get the software when it isn't the newest of the new anymore, and the company wants to fuel some extra sales.

I actually like the no-sale policy :hihi:

chk071 wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:I doubt it will have Legend filters, they would hurt their Legend sales because Dune as such is much more capable than Legend in terms of features and flexibility. So the filter is one of the few things why people buy Legend.
As far as i read, they will implement some things from Legend.
fluffy_little_something wrote:Can't you get Serum per rent to buy?
Yes. It'll still cost 189 € or so then though. :P

It is $189,- And the dollar to euro rate is very favorably now, so it would be something just over € 160,-

(Luckily I got Serum in the intro period for just over € 100,- ;) . :P)

Return to “Instruments”