Tears in the Dark (new mix pg 2)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

the guitar work is great as ever, but we need to talk about all this synth business :lol: youre getting quite out there these days with some of your sound choices, i like where were headed :D
well have you making random noise in no time!!!! :hihi:

I bought Hive :tu:

The guitar tone is laid back, just the frenzel champ with a el34 and my warmoth with my stratoblaster clone...I tried to slow down. The mics were the 906 and an sm 57 on a 50 watt celestion :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Everything starts out sounding like this is going to be pretty good, then this loud out of place drunk electric guitar comes in and doesn't leave.
Just my little take on it.
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

fair enough, maybe I should have been drunk as I dont drink and play...I appreciate your listening to it and your honest opinion :)

Hink wrote:fair enough, maybe I should have been drunk as I dont drink and play...I appreciate your listening to it and your honest opinion :)
I always try to be honest without just bashing something. I did really like where it started out going...but what I can't wrap my head around is why you just tore the whole thing up with the guitar? I just don't understand that, but it one man's opinion of course.

because I play guitar, guitar is my passion and joy, I write tunes to play guitar too and I dont mind coloring outside the lines :shrug:

I liked it instrumentally. The vocal delivery wasn’t my cup of tea as I thought you could play nicer but what do I know.

Hink wrote:because I play guitar, guitar is my passion and joy, I write tunes to play guitar too and I dont mind coloring outside the lines :shrug:
That's cool, don't get upset...I'm nobody.

fastlanephil wrote:I liked it instrumentally. The vocal delivery wasn’t my cup of tea as I thought you could play nicer but what do I know.
thanx and you make a good point, I tend to play with more overdrive and faster not to mention also I have been on a kick in the last year to not overthink my songs. In the past finishing songs has been an issue and this year I have finished 6, perhaps not always my best but I haven't played them to the point where I hate them. Hopefully in time the two will come together, so your input is indeed helpful :)

annode wrote:
Hink wrote:because I play guitar, guitar is my passion and joy, I write tunes to play guitar too and I dont mind coloring outside the lines :shrug:
That's cool, don't get upset...I'm nobody.
not upset at all my friend, we've known each other a long time and I dont think you are nobody :tu:

...we've known each other a long time and I dont think you are nobody :tu:
Very true Hink. :tu:
I forget, is it just here at KvR or also from this old Stillstream forum on mIRC ?
Tell me if you don't see the image.

Great guitar tones and synth sounds. The drum programming is also well done.
In some places, it sounds you are a little behind the beat but the tempo and overall vibe lend well to that. It would be less noticeable in a busier mix. But it sounds human, a quality which is too often lost in modern music.

I enjoyed it. :tu:

thanx Justin and guilty as charged, first and foremost my attempt to slow down or playing very other note as Gary Moore put it in his last interview. (mind you I dont have a physical need to slow down, just wish to sometimes). I did indeed start out with a click track because the drums are not really keeping the beat at all and by design, I left out any hats keeping a beat and you'll notice no snare. I wanted to keep the song dark and somber which is kind of set by the the synth bass line. So I figured the click would keep me on track but instead it was just taking away from the mood of my playing or more important for me anyhow the enjoyment of playing (this was fun to play). I liked Annodes comment about "drunken guitar" because that was kind of the direction I was going in, "tears in the dark", not really drunken tears but that feel about it. Also I backed way off of overdrive for me, using just the frenzel superchamp instead of it with the frenzel hi-gain pre (frenzel made and modded to work with the super champ adding a tone control by-pass) which I use together often. The super champ is quite laid back (the hi-gain pre has 3 12ax7's and the superchamp has two but I went further and swapped one with a 12au7). I also didnt use any tubescreamer clone or any pedal before the amp, just my Warmoth strat with an EMG 81 and the Alembic stratoblaster clone I built that's in my Warmoth, both that and the guitar volume was low. That changed how my release was and I paid a lot of attention to the notes fading out avoiding fret noise and string noise (especially around the three bends), probably should have stuck with the click track.

Several people didn't like the drums at all and said ditch them, the bass synth gives enough to the timing. Maybe I'll mix a version without them sometime. You better than many know the grief I give myself over not finishing my stuff, well things have changed. I was Denise's world and vice versa, when we were home there wasn't many things she did besides things with me so I would feel guilty going into the studio (not that she ever made me feel that way). Now I find myself going into the studio sometimes 4 times a day and I've decided not to dwell on getting one song perfect, I'm going back to having fun and getting a bunch done and finished. Hopefully it will be a growing experience and surely I'll improve in many areas (mixing I hope) and at worst I can make some backing cds of my own stuff minus the guitar so when I want I can just crank up and jam out on my own stuff because finally I have the place to do that.

Thanx for the honest opinion, that's the best thing...I'm gonna get this every other note thing down one day :hihi:

Hink wrote: I'm going back to having fun
that's what counts imo, do what thou wilt...
if it sounds good at the end of the fun, that's a bonus :hihi:

Return to “Music Cafe”