One Synth Challenge #105 - Thorn by Dmitry Sches (J. Ruegg Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DS Audio Thorn

Feels a little like a slippery slope, if the OSC does the Trial thing too frequently. I'd give it a few more months of rest. It's great, if it becomes this kind of commercial outlet, too, but it might be scary to think it could lose the free spirit the OSC always had, you know.
Twice or three times a year might be fine or something of that kind? :shrug:

] Peter:H [ wrote: My journey into OSC is one of technology and sound experience and a big deal of this is getting to know tools and the universe of sound they open to you...I want to erase the borders.
Haha...that's perfect :hug:

] Peter:H [ wrote:As I wrote earlier - check out the Track of user seismic1 / whatisname where I got to know paulstretch recently. The track can give you an impression what you can do with PaulStretch in an ambient track: <a href="https://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/the-entropy-clause" class="skimlinks-unlinked" data-skimwords-word="https%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Fwhatsisname%2Fthe-entropy-clause" data-skim-creative="500005" title="" style="">https://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/the- ... -clause</a>
BTW: Would this track be able to win an OSC? Just wondering...
And some trivia - the Paul of PaulStrech is (was?) masterind behind ZynAddSubFX as well. Remarkable talent! <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://www.microscopics.co.uk/blog/2010 ... asca</span>/
Very impressive soundscape. I really have to experiment some more with Paulstretch! :hyper:
Failure is success in progress.

Taron wrote:Feels a little like a slippery slope, if the OSC does the Trial thing too frequently. I'd give it a few more months of rest. It's great, if it becomes this kind of commercial outlet, too, but it might be scary to think it could lose the free spirit the OSC always had, you know.
Twice or three times a year might be fine or something of that kind? :shrug:
Meow

Final Results: J.Ruegg is the Champion!!!! :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:

1st J.Ruegg - Inthornity - 168pts

2nd mmGhost - Metis - 163pts

3rd Taron - VioLovac - 163pts

4th TheNeverScene - Thornithopia - 158pts

5th jasinski - Shadow Cat - 158pts

6 Guenon - We Note No Movement on the Moon (1995 Chemical Beats Edit) 151 pts
7 sqigls - Ramble Thru The Brambles 150 pts
8 Bblunt Productions - Torn 147 pts
9 DoctorBob - The Thornbird 146 pts
10 Mhouse - Kepler's View 145 pts
11 Generaldiomedes - Nobody's Watching? 142 pts
12 (dq) bh9090 - pith 142 pts
13 Richard Semper - Thorney Isle 140 pts
14 Toggleaudio - Oslo 136 pts
15 Liqih - Thorn Africa 135 pts
16 l-ectrobit - DistoNight 134 pts
17 cb8rwh - Division 132 pts
18 Zarf - No Time 127 pts
19 Aluto - THORN 123 pts
20 eraze the borders - Puppetmaster 119 pts
21 medniex - Frozen Fortress 119 pts
22 OnTrackP - Industrial Evolution 118 pts
23 teilo - Meanwhile Matters 118 pts
24 Darksynth FX - Unwind 117 pts
25 3lu5iv3 - OSC105 117 pts
26 Peter H - Ephemeral Thorn V2 117 pts
27 functionform - Collapse 116 pts
28 Ethan Duys - Living Circuitry 115 pts
29 toonertik - TheThornInMySide OSC105 113 pts
30 574x - Simulation Sanctuary 113 pts
31 ckoe - 105 bits to ride 111 pts
32 Mister Natural - Skon Tagg Mr Natural 111 pts
33 Organistchrisrendall - Intake 109 pts
34 Local Man - Upon The Way I Noticed Something Strange 108 pts
35 Tj Shredder - Waves Of Thornes 103 pts
36 Aluode - Cruise 103 pts
37 zippy731 - Thin Disguise 96 pts
38 harry_mccloud - Disturbed Fugu 84 pts

Prizes:
First place winner, please announce your chosen prize and specify whether or not you give permission to upload your track to our spotify/itunes/etc page run by rghvdberg (Sales would go to osc/prize pool), and pass it on to the next winner down. To receive the prize, it may take some time (even a week-month+), but be patient. :hug: NOTE: prizes are not passed down below top 5

One of my fav months. Great songs :tu:

Scoresheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... _7XT_akTY/

J.Ruegg, the Peruvian protagonist! Nice stuff! I mighta thought the master, Jasinski should have won this round. But it's a toss up at the top! My top 5 were all in the top 6 (Guenon, wtf? Most amazing sound design!! Can you add a battery to my drone? I ran out of funds stalking you with the militia people...).

Long live the OSC! Maybe one day I'll participate again. NOT!!! :)

Congrats J.Ruegg. Well deserved. :clap:

:wheee: I can't belive it!, thank you so much for letting me win this one, competiton was though.
Also congratulations mmGhost, Taron, TheNeverScene and Jasinski! :clap:
Guenon, your sound design is always top notch, hopefully you will make it top5 with FB-3X00 :D

Huge thanks to Dmitry Sches for giving us this beast of a synth :clap: :clap: :clap: , and to Brian for running the OSC :hug:
z.prime wrote:Long live the OSC! Maybe one day I'll participate again. NOT!!! :)
:hug: You should come back one day!

Prize : I want Thorn!, I have some snares that I would like to use again :hyper: (can I also take prettyscope?)

Congratulations to J.Ruegg and all other winners and participant. It was a joy to take part again.

Yeah J.Ruegg!! Inthornity is an AMAZING track!
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

Congrats for the winner and all for the great pieces! :clap:

Nice Move J.Ruegg

mmGhost, Taron, and TheNeverScene. Congrats too.

AH, will you look at that! Congrats to the whole lot of ya, with beautiful tracks all the way through the numbers, really. Guenon, I could've sworn you'd end up above me. Maybe too many people missed out seeing your video, too?! :shrug: ...but, yeah, I'm surprised. J.Ruegg, you did a really seemingly exhausting amount of work on your track, but I'm as surprised as you. It's a bit like some of those apparently copyright free tracks people use for their youtube clips...I can virtually see some random people with their go-pro footage, jumping down a mountain or doing some other jackass stuff, hahaha. :lol: :scared: sorry :oops: ...still, that does make it official, so CONGRATS! :tu:
mmGhost, yeah, man, I think you've hit a spot that is quite something special. Even I actually enjoyed it and felt it was unique and inventive with beautiful quality through it all. :clap: Catchy as HELL, too! :tantrum: :lol: :tu:
Very, very happy I am for TheNeverScene, that's so very cool AND I KNEW IT, too! Great job, mate! :clap: :party: :clap:
Jasinski, great, great to have you back. I really thought you've had it with the OSC and sorta "skipped town" for some reason, haha. Happy to see you back here! :tu:

This was for sure an outstanding months. Much less tracks than usual, but such an overall high quality. Pretty exciting to see what a great synth can make us do, too! :hyper:
THANK YOU for getting me up there again, too, of course! :hug: (almost forgot, sorry, still it's weird for me at times to listen to some of the quality of the songs around mine and still find it appreciated like that by you. I hope, I keep stumbling over the thing I must be doing right for a while longer... :hihi: ...thank you all very much!)

PS: Just had mmGhosts track running, followed by Local Man's track, which for the first half sounded quite sophisticated in a contemporary trashy way, totally cool for any class of movie these days. But then I saw my comments on it and really apologize, if the first one didn't come across as the situational joke it was meant to be, it wasn't meant against the music. Almost the opposite, as the music inspired a scene, even if the scene was a bit..pffhaha...well...not nice. My second comment, though, was what I meant, because that lead random melody nonsense really trashed the otherwise really great atmosphere. Anyhow...just listening to it and can't help it, wanting to say that Local Man did a fantastic job, too, except for that lead weirdness... but in terms of quality and he's on place 34! Thirty Four! So, if you could have a Hollywood grade soundtrack moment and end up at the tail end of OSC charts, you kinda know this was an exceptional month. :clap: :clap: :clap: ...and... :(

Congratulations! Ohhh it's my selection of fivers back to back :D, seriously, with Kepler's View by Mhouse as the only outlier. Shout out to that one as well. A skilled bunch of people you are! There's no doubt about the level of professionalism that goes into these top tracks.

(A little souvenir from last year.)
z.prime wrote:(Guenon, wtf? Most amazing sound design!! Can you add a battery to my drone? I ran out of funds stalking you with the militia people...)
Taron wrote:Guenon, I could've sworn you'd end up above me.
No worries :)
J.Ruegg wrote:Guenon, your sound design is always top notch, hopefully you will make it top5 with FB-3X00 :D
Thanks, and haha, wellll... a piece that marginal, in its concept and execution, let's just say I'm already very happy and fuzzy with the overwhelming response it's been receiving from those who resonate with it ;)

This was my first entry, and I was 100% sure to end as last. I was not at all convinced of my rough impro, but thought it still might be interesting where I would end in the end at the end...
Also except for Taron none of my clear favorites made it into the top 5. I wonder also how many voters we had. Must be more than participants. The difference in points between highest and last is not that big at all (I expected 38 points for my entry...;-) Is this because the tastes are so different, or is it because some voters tend to be too friendly? Or maybe a combination of all that.
In the end its not important. Competition in art does not make too much sense anyway, its about the fun of participation. And from an artistic point of view it would be a bad advice to feed expectations just to win such a competition.

Tj Shredder wrote:... Competition in art does not make too much sense anyway, its about the fun of participation.
That's what I keep thinking from the very start, but especially when I "accidentally" listen to a random track that happens to be from the OSC (Soundclouds auto play sometimes just brings up somehow related tracks, you know). We all create some fantastic stuff and it's almost painful to think that placement in the results might somehow discourage some actually wonderful musicians/artists.
Then again, competition also draws people in and somehow gives them the extra push to go beyond their normal limits. So there's the one beautiful aspect of it, which I personally am very grateful about. Without any obvious reasons such as commercial success as a pro musician, it's not always easy to find the right kind of incentive to push oneself. As cruel as it can be, too, of course.
It's super important NOT to let any of this discourage anyone, but value the chance to analyze and improve their own technical powers without sacrificing their artistic integrity!!! :phones:

...oh, and: :hug: ;)

Return to “Instruments”