Cubase 9.5 launch today!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Pro 13

Going through ALL Cubase 9.5 new features and a basic review.
If you want to know each and every new feature and where to find them, then it's worth watching.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:I still find myself having to spend more time (and mosue clicks) to do things in Cubase.I'm sure at least some of that is my absolute newb-ness, and some of it is just how certain features were designed to work. For instance, I started by watching a few videos to learn the process and mapping a hardware control surface has been much more time-consuming in Cubase.
Studio One's Control Link is absolutely superior to anything Cubase has to offer in that area. It's almost like the people who designed that, knew it was a major void in Cubase's toolbox. ;)

That being said,Cubase's power isn't starting a project by dragging this and that. Its power is handling the composition side of things. A basic example: Try to edit 3 different Instrument/MIDI parts, residing on 3 different tracks, simultaneously with Studio One. It's a nightmare. Zooming and focus is all over the place (mainly when working with a detached editor), there's no Edit active part, so you always have to fumble with the Track list before you can edit exclusively. Opening another part of the current selection for editing also needs to be done by tinkering with the Track list again, instead of simply clicking the note, like in Cubase.
Those clicks really add up when composing and easily undo all the clicks one has gained by being able to drag instruments to the arrangement.

My advice is to try to finish an entire project/song in Cubase and after that evaluate the process. My experience is that Cubase shines when the job gets difficult.

I got here another question.
I was naming my inputs and outputs in Cubase Studio Setup following my Logic external gear template and i noticed this:

I was assigning inputs and outputs for my gear through the "External FX" and "External Instruments". Is that wrong? Should i assign them in the Inputs and Outputs?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Why is Stereo In named after my 2 physical inputs from my sound card?
Since they are on the Stereo Input, i cannot assign them to my "External Instrument" like you can see in the picture.
Should i just create inputs and outputs and forget about "External Instruments and FX"?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tripleflows wrote:Going through ALL Cubase 9.5 new features and a basic review.
If you want to know each and every new feature and where to find them, then it's worth watching.

Very cool tutorial. Nice having the menu included. Makes it very easy to get around. :tu:
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

NNevez wrote:Why is Stereo In named after my 2 physical inputs from my sound card?
Since they are on the Stereo Input, i cannot assign them to my "External Instrument" like you can see in the picture.
Should i just create inputs and outputs and forget about "External Instruments and FX"?
I don't know your interface, but external hardware busses are fixed. So for example if you only have a 2 channel interface, you can't use the hardware buss feature in this way. The outputs are dedicated. So, if you created two mono send/return configurations, you now have no inputs left for recording and you have no outputs left for the monitoring.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

I have an UFX II so i have inputs and outputs, but they are all in use.
I have synths and FX connected and i have channel strip for recording, i don´t use the sound card directly for recording.

I think i have resolved the issue, i choose the AES inputs (which are not used) as a Stereo In input.
Will i have any problems this way?

NNevez wrote:I have an UFX II so i have inputs and outputs, but they are all in use.
I have synths and FX connected and i have channel strip for recording, i don´t use the sound card directly for recording.

I think i have resolved the issue, i choose the AES inputs (which are not used) as a Stereo In input.
Will i have any problems this way?
Probably won't work, unless you have some ADAT or AES/EBU device hooked up.

Your main problem, if I found the right card, is that you have 4 inputs and 2 outputs. With only 2 outputs you won't be able to use the external hardware feature with that interface (unless you get an ADAT setup that uses the digital I/O). External hardware option makes the I/O ports unavailable to the Input/Output section. So, if you set up two mono send/returns, you've used up both of your outputs.

Ok, makes sense what you say but the problem is not the lack of I/O.

The UFX II is this one:
https://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/fireface_ufx_2.php

Problem is i have all inputs and outputs in use withs synths and FX. No problem in Logic and Pro Tools because they don´t eat input 1 and 2 automatically. This goes back to what i said earlier, maybe i should forget about the external hardware features and just route inputs and outputs in the Audio Connections.

NNevez wrote:Ok, makes sense what you say but the problem is not the lack of I/O.

The UFX II is this one:
https://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/fireface_ufx_2.php

Problem is i have all inputs and outputs in use withs synths and FX. No problem in Logic and Pro Tools because they don´t eat input 1 and 2 automatically. This goes back to what i said earlier, maybe i should forget about the external hardware features and just route inputs and outputs in the Audio Connections.
That's what I was saying ... don't use the external hardware feature. You can set Cubase to allow multiple uses of the same input for things like the Control Room and multiple I/O configuration pairs. You just can't do that with the External Hardware option because of the way it handles Delay Compensation on those signal paths.

Ok, thank you for you´re help!
I am going to try that.

Any news on possibility of any LE/AI to 9.5 AI upgrade?

As I recall, one could upgrade before for about 10 bucks.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

If upgrading to 9.5 AI isn't possible yet, it never will be. Just forget about AI and get Elements, the upgrades are barely more expensive than the ones for AI.

Romantique Tp wrote:If upgrading to 9.5 AI isn't possible yet, it never will be.
Is that official answer or just your opinion?
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Cubase AI uses the same executable as Cubase Elements. There would be no reason for them to delay the ability to upgrade to Cubase AI 9.5 when Elements 9.5 is already out. Simple logic.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”