u-he Repro (Repro-1 & Repro-5) released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Only 2 cores here, so no MC for me.

e@rs wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:What's your CPU?
It's an old one, C2D E6750. But my point is that I can use multiple instances of Diva or Bazille in middle quality, but not Repro-5, because no such option exists for this one.
I really miss Diva's "Offline Acc" option. U-he, add it to Bazille and Repro, please..

e@rs wrote:Only 2 cores here, so no MC for me.
Why not? 2 is multi :hihi:

Like Repro-5. I've found 1-2 piano sounds that are super cool :)

noiseboyuk wrote:
e@rs wrote:Sounds delicious, but the CPU usage is brutal. Can only use maximum 4 voices.
Don't know what your system is but CPU is actually very reasonable for me in Cubase with MC turned on - drops by 75% when I do that.
Is it possible that with some hosts, multi core simply doesn't work right? I haven't tried it in Cubase yet but in MuLab it's a train wreck with volume cutting out constantly.

fluffy_little_something wrote:
e@rs wrote:Only 2 cores here, so no MC for me.
Why not? 2 is multi :hihi:
I think it has to be more than 2 cores for MC to have a beneficial effect. For me it definitely doesn't help enabling it.

Jesus, Reaper is the least intuitive DAW I ever tried. I can't even get a single sound out of it (it says output not connected, but there is nothing to connect in the dropdown menu), so much for trying to find out whether Mulab is the bottleneck...

Sounds like you need to set up your audio device.

wagtunes wrote:
noiseboyuk wrote:
e@rs wrote:Sounds delicious, but the CPU usage is brutal. Can only use maximum 4 voices.
Don't know what your system is but CPU is actually very reasonable for me in Cubase with MC turned on - drops by 75% when I do that.
Is it possible that with some hosts, multi core simply doesn't work right? I haven't tried it in Cubase yet but in MuLab it's a train wreck with volume cutting out constantly.
On my system the multi-core support works fine with Repro (unlike with Diva), so I suppose it is not Mulab's fault.

Let's keep a few things in mind on CPU usage:

1. Different buffer settings will have a huge impact. Someone who enters notes in a PRV and is operating at a 1024 buffer will report a very different experience than someone running 64 samples.

2. Different hosts CPU meters will calculate CPU differently. Reaper I believe shows the average usage between all cores. So one instance of RePro-5 in Reaper will look very differently than in Studio One which shows the maximum core usage even with all other variables being the same.

3. A host with an ASIO guard like functionality or "Dual-Buffer/Lot Latency Monitoring" setup will also be a misleading on CPU usage. For instance, realtime recording at 64 sample buffer might show much higher CPU usage than playback. So what are you measuring? Realtime CPU usage with monitoring enabled or playback CPU usage?

4. Different hosts will balance CPU usage between cores differently. This will become even more important as you add effects, busses, multiple instances, etc.

5. The different Multi-Core performance from host to host and CPU to CPU is why U-he didn't build an option to turn it on by default. They wanted users to proactively decide in what scenarios they wanted to turn MC on because the impact of it varied so much.
Last edited by Funkybot's Evil Twin on Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Just one question... I really like the sound from the repo-5. Well done. The string patches sounds really perfect on this thing. But the CPU load is pretty high. Even my i7 4ghz has about 10% load for complrex chords. It maybe great when you want to have the last 10% sound, but I'm wondering what you think about it as a bread and butter subtractive synth that you use a lot in your projects? Maybe that's not the role from this thing?

CPU usage of Repro5 is a lot better than I expected it to be. With most presets it's about 50% CPU usage (Cubase ASIO performance meter) with 8 notes held. My CPU = i5-2410M (dual core, 4 threads, 2,3 Ghz).
The worst CPU-hungry plugin I have is Kaivo: 4 voices = maximum = 80% CPU

midi_transmission wrote:Just one question... I really like the sound from the repo-5. Well done. The string patches sounds really perfect on this thing. But the CPU load is pretty high. Even my i7 4ghz has about 10% load for complrex chords. It maybe great when you want to have the last 10% sound, but I'm wondering what you think about it as a bread and butter subtractive synth that you use a lot in the project? Maybe that's not the role from this thing?
Unless you've got a space age rig, I doubt you're using too many instances of this unless you do a part and then freeze the track and keep doing this as you go along.

chk071 wrote:Sounds like you need to set up your audio device.
I had done that the first time it launched.
Well, I managed to make it sound by now.
But I don't know how to reopen the Repro GUI (I had closed it), there is no button.
Compared to Mulab, Reaper seems a total failure in terms of user friendliness.

Click on the green 'FX' button.

This got me too when I first tried reaper...not use friendly at all. I know.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Return to “Instruments”