Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
THE INTRANCER
KVRist

460 posts since 30 Dec, 2014

Postby THE INTRANCER; Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:02 pm Thoughts, Predictions & Reaction On The Official Release Of [Presonus Studio One 4.0] 22-05-2018

Thoughts, Predictions & Reaction On The Official Release Of [Presonus Studio One 4.0] 22-05-2018 Comments on the official release begins from page 15...

In this extended video, Russ Hughes ( from the website Studio One Expert) gives an overview of the new features found in Studio One 4.0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... WKE9NkPLEk

Presonus Studio One 4.0

(Actual image size linked to is 1920x1680)

Given that this is quite a metropolitan forum with a wide range of users from different daws, I thought it would be interesting to see how the general views from an outside perspective with actual users would compare. What would make you switch to Studio One 4.0 if it had it ? And if you are a current Studio One user, what wouldn't you like to see...and I don't mean big white elephants. :lol:

Studio One 4.0 could very well be a year and a half away before it arrives from the time I've posted this, but it would be interesting to look back at this thread to see if your wishes and expectations have come true or if you're disappointed / or as disappointed as much as you thought you would be when it's finally released.

There is currently a huge thread on the Presonus forums about the expectations of Studio One 4.0, with over 26K views and over 100 user posts about what they wanted to see with their own request lists...Would a thread such as this one mirror that one ? Or simply fall into the abyss of the forum interweb graveyard of interest in comparison...I've no idea..
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Wed May 23, 2018 5:52 am, edited 19 times in total.
THE INTRANCER-Digital 2D & 3D GUI / Music Artist - Orchestral Trance - Ambient - Film Scores | Soundcloud 27 | Soundclick 16 | Producing Music For 25+Years & Sound Monitoring FOH at UK Stadium/Festivals for Carl Cox, FatBoy Slim ect
Riansky
KVRist

43 posts since 26 Oct, 2014

Postby Riansky; Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:50 pm Re: Thoughts & Predictions [ Presonus Studio One 4.0 ]

As a S1 user I would like to see a bit more done on the midi part of studio one. Also a new GUI would not hurt, I'm not a big fan of that flat design tbh, and the waveforms just looks awful.
I would also like to see the clip loop function from logic/ableton, as a trance producer or general edm that would really help with arrangements instead of duplicating everything. Another thing I would like to see is either a new sampler plugin or "send to presence xt" feature, and for god's sake include the Presence XT editor in a plugins itself not a freaking $80 addon.
beatmangler443
KVRist

349 posts since 10 Jun, 2013

Postby beatmangler443; Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:27 pm Re: Thoughts & Predictions [ Presonus Studio One 4.0 ]

Hmm... Probably a little bit of everything. Just give a little bit of features to the film and sonar converts so they can stop whining lol. Just kidding. Studio One 4 will be awesome.
jonljacobi
KVRian

694 posts since 16 Jan, 2013, from USA

Postby jonljacobi; Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:31 pm Re: Thoughts & Predictions [ Presonus Studio One 4.0 ]

A new, simpler look would definitely be in order. More focused context menus. No tiny icons.
ATS
KVRAF

5585 posts since 20 Dec, 2002, from MD USA

Postby ATS; Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:43 pm Re: Thoughts & Predictions [ Presonus Studio One 4.0 ]

jonljacobi wrote:A new, simpler look would definitely be in order. More focused context menus. No tiny icons.

We don't need a whole 4.0 update for just that!
THE INTRANCER
KVRist

460 posts since 30 Dec, 2014

Postby THE INTRANCER; Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:08 pm Re: Thoughts & Predictions [ Presonus Studio One 4.0 ]

A Vector / Point Tempo lane, the current tempo lane is terrible. (Adapting the same/similar sort of system that Cubase has, is really the best way forward)

Vector point cleanup and optimisation functionality. ( When points are currently clumped together, the overlapped points make selecting points properly a nightmare. )
Vector Point Automation Quantisation to time and measure needs implemented.

Vector line shaping from dropdown menu's (preset shapes) needs to be implemented. (Currently everything needs to be shaped manually by drawing and moving points)
THE INTRANCER-Digital 2D & 3D GUI / Music Artist - Orchestral Trance - Ambient - Film Scores | Soundcloud 27 | Soundclick 16 | Producing Music For 25+Years & Sound Monitoring FOH at UK Stadium/Festivals for Carl Cox, FatBoy Slim ect
tonedef71
KVRian

853 posts since 20 Sep, 2007, from USA

Postby tonedef71; Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:17 pm Re: Thoughts & Predictions [ Presonus Studio One 4.0 ]

Riansky wrote:I would also like to see the clip loop function from logic/ableton, as a trance producer or general edm that would really help with arrangements instead of duplicating everything.
I agree. I like the way Tracktion Waveform implements it: in addition to clip looping, you can also create linked copies of a clip.
[Intel Core i7 820QM | 32GB DDR3 | Waveform 8; Studio One 4 Pro; FL Studio 20; RapidComposer; Sundog Song Studio; Pizzicato | FL Studio ASIO (WASAPI) | Win10 x64]
Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF

5461 posts since 15 Aug, 2006

Postby Funkybot's Evil Twin; Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:47 pm Re: Thoughts & Predictions [ Presonus Studio One 4.0 ]

For me, I hope 4.0 is just as much about catching up to Cubase on the MIDI side of the house as 3.0-3.5 was about catching up to Pro Tools on the audio side.

So specifically, MIDI features like:

1. Sending receiving multiple MIDI channels on 1 instrument track (Omni or All channel mode, basic MPE compatibility)
2. Drum Editor
3. Smart tool for MIDI
4. Coloring notes in the PRV by velocity
5. A basic Staff editor (even if it's a paid add-on or requires a Notion license, but no Rewire)
6. MIDI Input Transformer/Logical Editor
7. MIDI Event List
8. An Articulation Editor
9. Polyphonic aftertouch

Then there are a few things I'd like to see outside of MIDI features. Such as:

1. Improved Tempo drawing (automation-like)
2. Separate Loop and Auto-Punch ranges (you can't currently loop record multiple takes while also having a lead-in)
3. Mix snapshots
4. Track Templates (for audio/MIDI with the ability to include busses, sends, etc.)
5. Import Session Data from another project
6. Ripple editing
7. A lock for tracks and clips to prevent editing
8. Track Notes
9. Independent Left/Right pans on the console, polarity invert button
10. Control Room like functionality and metering in the browser (the Cubase right-hand pane)

Cosmetic nice to haves:

1. Improved waveform drawing
2. Plugin GUI scaling on UHD monitors
3. More color customization options
4. Full-screen mode in Windows

Note: I don't expect version 4 to have all of this stuff. Heck, that's probably a few major releases right there, but it'd be nice to see a chunk of this list get taken care in the releases between current and a 5.0 (so basically, the 4.0 lifecycle).
billcarroll
KVRAF

1841 posts since 9 Dec, 2011, from falling

Postby billcarroll; Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:57 pm Re: Thoughts & Predictions [ Presonus Studio One 4.0 ]

Take Sample One to the next level.
antic604
KVRian

1025 posts since 4 Jan, 2017, from Warsaw, Poland

Postby antic604; Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:59 pm Re: Thoughts & Predictions [ Presonus Studio One 4.0 ]

Riansky wrote:I would also like to see the clip loop function from logic/ableton, as a trance producer or general edm that would really help with arrangements instead of duplicating everything.

tonedef71 wrote:I like the way Tracktion Waveform implements it: in addition to clip looping, you can also create linked copies of a clip.

Why don't you use "Duplicate Shared" (Shift+D) function, it does exactly that: duplicates a clip linking it to the original so that any changes made to it are refected in duplicate(s).
Live 10 // Bitwig 2 // Reason 10 // Studio One 4
Music: https://soundcloud.com/antic604
kev2525
KVRist

340 posts since 7 Apr, 2010

Postby kev2525; Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:37 am Re: Thoughts & Predictions [ Presonus Studio One 4.0 ]

+1 on This suggestion: Track Templates (for audio/MIDI with the ability to include busses, sends, etc.)

My requests:

- More flexibility in the mixer. The ability to only see one row of faders on the second monitor is dismal. Logic for PC had a better mixer in 2005.
- Midi functionality for sequencing beats.
My milkshake brings all the girls to the yard

http://soundcloud.com/the-boogee-man
Riansky
KVRist

43 posts since 26 Oct, 2014

Postby Riansky; Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:21 am Re: Thoughts & Predictions [ Presonus Studio One 4.0 ]

Why don't you use "Duplicate Shared" (Shift+D) function, it does exactly that: duplicates a clip linking it to the original so that any changes made to it are refected in duplicate(s).

Because you are still duplicating. Its way easier to just grab a clip and drag it.
chk071
KVRAF

15986 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:29 am Re: Thoughts & Predictions [ Presonus Studio One 4.0 ]

I predict... that it'll be a while until we actually see Studio One 4. :P

What i mostly wish is that they rework the user interface. It's surely usable, but, taking a look at Cubase e.g., it's a bit simple, and gets confusing quickly, when you have a lot of stuff opened, or look at the mixer. What i'd also like to see is that they overwork the way control surfaces are added, and, instead of 3 different types of controllers, summarize it to one type of controller, which could be anything. Because, the way it is now, if you want to add a controller keyboard, for example, and it has an onboard arpeggiator, or similar, which can receive MIDI clock, you have to add a keyboard controller, and a device, because Presonus didn't feel it is necessary to add an option to send and receive MIDI clock for a keyboard controller. Apart from that, i'm pretty happy over all, but, i'm not too familiar with what others DAW offer in comparison. One thing which would be nice would be fully drag-able curves for the automation. Like Steinberg just introduced in Cubase.
antic604
KVRian

1025 posts since 4 Jan, 2017, from Warsaw, Poland

Postby antic604; Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:28 am Re: Thoughts & Predictions [ Presonus Studio One 4.0 ]

Riansky wrote:

Because you are still duplicating. Its way easier to just grab a clip and drag it.

Sure, but I'm talking about Shift+D and not Ctrl+D. The latter duplicated, but the former also links the clips, so changing the source updates all the duplicates. That's something that Ableton doesn't have - you can loop clips there, but if you need to have empty spaces or other clips the loop won't help.
Live 10 // Bitwig 2 // Reason 10 // Studio One 4
Music: https://soundcloud.com/antic604
tedannemann
KVRist

241 posts since 25 Jan, 2016, from in my DAW

Postby tedannemann; Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:32 am Re: Thoughts & Predictions [ Presonus Studio One 4.0 ]

- Time-Stretching / Pitch-Shifting
Turntable mode (cp. Logic, Cubase, Bitwig, Live, Pro Tools, FL-Studio, …)
Slicing mode (cp. Logic, Live, Pro Tools, FL Studio)
(S1 has the worst Elastique integration cause there are no options or settings to choose from. Would use Melodyne for stretching but since Studio One 3 nobody cares that bouncing off melodyne stretched material is resulting in missing transients or the usual time shift at the first beat -> completely useless! Or bring on the Serato stretching algorithm as option like there is for Pro Tools and Logic.)

- Browser
Multiple search options for the „Files“ tab
e.g. a simple search after „hip hop snare“ should find a file in the following location:
c:/samples/loopmasters/hip hop super sample pack/drums/snare_023.wav
In other words: searching for files incl. folders and subfolders ("and" search)
(And no, please don’t bring on some complicated tagging system. I won’t tag my 10 terabytes of samples with some stupid tags someone created with another mindset. Just searching for multiple names would do the trick. See Cubase 9.5, no one is using the highly overcomplicated MediaBay, that’s why there is the new „file browser“ tab, now you can just type in what you want and find it on your hard drive, done!)

- Metering
Pre/post peak level metering for every channel / fader (cp. main channel)
(actually this one is hilarious for a self proclaimed pro DAW aka Pro Tools competitor)

- GUI
More colorful interface
(it’s depressing to work in this dark world)
Smoother retina ready waveform drawing
(my eyes are hurting when searching for a zero-crossing… hello? zero-crossing anybody???)

- Pan-Law Settings
(no, I don't want to put a plugin on every channel I insert... hello? default track / channel settings anybody???)
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)