Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
The NAMM Show

The KVR Audio Instruments forum is sponsored by the Winter NAMM Show. More than a trade show, NAMM brings together the music, sound and event technology communities for exhibits, workshops, performances, events and much more. This year's show takes place January 25-28. See you there!

Read more at www.namm.org

u-he Repro (Repro-1 & Repro-5) released

Ingonator
KVRAF

11808 posts since 21 Mar, 2008, from Hannover, Germany

Postby Ingonator; Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:57 am Re: u-he Repro (Repro-1.1 & Repro-5) released

dune_rave wrote:Like Repro-5. I've found 1-2 piano sounds that are super cool :)

Not exactly a piano but if you are interested then at my free Repro-5 patches thread in the U-He sub-forum i had posted a Clavinet patch and today also an organ patch:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 0&start=30

I am currently doing a few piano patches too. In the past I had done some piano patches in several analog style synths (and also with other synthesis methods).
Ingo Weidner
HW: Blofeld, Pulse 2, UltraNova, Bass Station 2, Wavestation EX
SW: PPG 3.V, Largo, Nave, Icarus, Avenger, Serum, Legend, Saurus 2, Diva, Repro-5, VC 6, Komplete 10, many more
i5-3350P / Win 10 x64 / Live 9 / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Bitwig 2
EvilDragon
KVRAF

15495 posts since 6 Jan, 2009, from Croatia

Postby EvilDragon; Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:00 pm Re: u-he Repro (Repro-1.1 & Repro-5) released

fluffy_little_something wrote:Compared to Mulab, Reaper seems a total failure in terms of user friendliness.

Takes a bit of getting used to. To me, Mulab is too slow to work with.
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

10471 posts since 5 Jun, 2012, from Portugal

Postby fluffy_little_something; Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:03 pm Re: u-he Repro (Repro-1.1 & Repro-5) released

himalaya wrote:Click on the green 'FX' button.

This got me too when I first tried reaper...not use friendly at all. I know.

Ah, thanks :) It is blue here by the way.

But it seems that Reaper causes a much lower CPU load than Mulab. Just tried half a dozen pad sounds, 4-note chords use around 10%.
Multicore support doesn't seem to make a difference.

I have set Repro to 8 threads (as I have a 4-core processor).
wagtunes
KVRAF

10179 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:06 pm Re: u-he Repro (Repro-1.1 & Repro-5) released

fluffy_little_something wrote:

But it seems that Reaper causes a much lower CPU load than Mulab. Just tried half a dozen pad sounds, 4-note chords use around 10%.

Wait, how do you set Repro to a specific number of threads? Is this something you have to do in control panel?
Cinebient
KVRAF

3041 posts since 16 Nov, 2014

Postby Cinebient; Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:07 pm Re: u-he Repro (Repro-1.1 & Repro-5) released

wagtunes wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:

Wait, how do you set Repro to a specific number of threads? Is this something you have to do in control panel?

Preferences
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

Postby fluffy_little_something; Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:09 pm Re: u-he Repro (Repro-1.1 & Repro-5) released

Yes, Preferences, the last option on that list...
dune_rave
KVRian

1044 posts since 22 Jun, 2006, from Hungary

Postby dune_rave; Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:14 pm Re: u-he Repro (Repro-1.1 & Repro-5) released

Yeah, not a piano, but thanx :) I usually save all patches I can find for my u-he synths.

Ingonator wrote:
dune_rave wrote:Like Repro-5. I've found 1-2 piano sounds that are super cool :)

Not exactly a piano but if you are interested then at my free Repro-5 patches thread in the U-He sub-forum i had posted a Clavinet patch and today also an organ patch:

I am currently doing a few piano patches too. In the past I had done some piano patches in several analog style synths (and also with other synthesis methods).
Yorrrrrr
KVRian

635 posts since 25 Sep, 2011, from Cartagena - Colombia

Postby Yorrrrrr; Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:14 pm Re: u-he Repro (Repro-1.1 & Repro-5) released

Regarding the Multicore Threads setting, Urs told me the following:

Urs wrote:
Yorrrrrr wrote:Hello. I have built a new system with an Intel Core i7 8700K, 6-core 12-threads CPU. Does it make sense to switch the 'Multicore threads' setting from 4 (default) to 6 then?

Don't change it unless you need to. If you still experience performance problems, say, if you have 5 or more instances open, try reducing the number or expanding it.

The tradeoff for fewer cores is more work on those cores but overall less CPU. The tradeoff for more cores is overall more CPU consumption due to the house keeping, even though each core gets to work less.

However, with 6 or more cores a machine is usually powerful enough to not expose any perceivable difference between the settings.
Ingonator
KVRAF

11808 posts since 21 Mar, 2008, from Hannover, Germany

Postby Ingonator; Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:21 pm Re: u-he Repro (Repro-1.1 & Repro-5) released

dune_rave wrote:Yeah, not a piano, but thanx :) I usually save all patches I can find for my u-he synths.

Ingonator wrote:

That thread is open to everyone for posting their free patches (that one is not about commercial patches/sets...) so there are also patches from others there not just my own ones.
Ingo Weidner
HW: Blofeld, Pulse 2, UltraNova, Bass Station 2, Wavestation EX
SW: PPG 3.V, Largo, Nave, Icarus, Avenger, Serum, Legend, Saurus 2, Diva, Repro-5, VC 6, Komplete 10, many more
i5-3350P / Win 10 x64 / Live 9 / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Bitwig 2
egbert101
KVRAF

1875 posts since 13 Jun, 2014

Postby egbert101; Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:33 pm Re: u-he Repro (Repro-1.1 & Repro-5) released

fluffy_little_something wrote:Jesus, Reaper is the least intuitive DAW I ever tried. I can't even get a single sound out of it (it says output not connected, but there is nothing to connect in the dropdown menu), so much for trying to find out whether Mulab is the bottleneck...

This is true. Reaper is built for audio engineer types. It is superior in that regard, but for someone who wants an easy intuitive approach, it's a disaster.

I went over to Reaper because I found something odd about the sound of MuLab (older version probably) and have stayed with it ever since. It's extremely powerful, stable and flexible, but an absolute horror in terms of intuitive workflow. I would never recommend it, unless someone was technically minded.

As for Repro and effects: The effects are a big part of the sound in many ways, just like any other synthesizer, but they don't mask away a bad source but enhance and push it to its maximum potential. They don't seem to be ordinary effects, but specifically high quality effects designed for Repro.
Current mental status: comfortably numb.
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

Postby fluffy_little_something; Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:38 pm Re: u-he Repro (Repro-1.1 & Repro-5) released

Well, I suppose I would have to read the manual :P

But yes, it seems very solid, not a single audio hiccup so far, unlike with Mulab yesterday.

Sylenth1 doesn't even register on the Taskmanager's CPU meters :hihi:
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

Postby fluffy_little_something; Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:57 pm Re: u-he Repro (Repro-1.1 & Repro-5) released

I am really impressed now, seems a lot of my problems had to do with Mulab. Now my Ryzen doesn't even switch to full speed and yet Repro only uses 8% with chords of that CK Trill 7th patch I tried yesterday on Mulab. And of those 8% 4% don't have anything to do with Repro as they persist after quitting Reaper. It's probably my browser, mail and chat programs :hihi:
braj
KVRAF

8883 posts since 4 Feb, 2004

Postby braj; Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:20 pm Re: u-he Repro (Repro-1.1 & Repro-5) released

Reaper tip: dragging and dropping from the fx browser window into the track area to create a new track takes care of all the routing and makes your instrument ready to play. For me Reaper is as easy to use as Studio One ever was. Anyhow, the performance improvement alone makes it the best host for working with demanding plugins for my system.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new
Astralp
KVRAF

1554 posts since 25 Feb, 2005, from Ganymede

Postby Astralp; Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:22 pm Re: u-he Repro (Repro-1.1 & Repro-5) released

I haven't read the full thread but those who have CPU issues, one thing to check is that it isn't CPU throttling by windows. You need to make a Power Profile which sets the minimum and maximum Processor State under Processor Power Management to 100%. The CPU throttling causes all sorts of issues when using a DAW etc... Without this the CPU is underclocked whenever possible to save energy and will jump up and down constantly.

I think there is already a High Performance Plan set up for this but I'm not sure as I've edited all of mine. You can use CPUID CPU-Zor similar programs to verify which rate your CPU is currently clocked at.

I'm sure most people on here know this but it's worth a mention just in case.

oh and Repro-5 is a beauty!
egbert101
KVRAF

1875 posts since 13 Jun, 2014

Postby egbert101; Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:44 pm Re: u-he Repro (Repro-1.1 & Repro-5) released

fluffy_little_something wrote:I am really impressed now, seems a lot of my problems had to do with Mulab. Now my Ryzen doesn't even switch to full speed and yet Repro only uses 8% with chords of that CK Trill 7th patch I tried yesterday on Mulab. And of those 8% 4% don't have anything to do with Repro as they persist after quitting Reaper. It's probably my browser, mail and chat programs :hihi:

There are a lot of tutorials for Reaper on youtube. I don't generally read the manual. :hihi:

EDIT: Also professional tutorials on groove3.com , if you need them.

https://www.groove3.com/
Current mental status: comfortably numb.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments