why are live and bigwig the only DAWS to have clip launchers ?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
ShawnG wrote:as a "real musician" I would use my license of Live more if I could set up a situation where I could jam out and have the program record succeeding 8 bar loops continuously so I would end up with a stack of clips that I could then play with in session mode to come up with an arrangement.
Bitwig does that...
I've never done that with bitwig, what's the setting for that?
In the Play menu. Set the Post Record Action to Record into next free slot.

ShawnG wrote:as a "real musician" I would use my license of Live more if I could set up a situation where I could jam out and have the program record succeeding 8 bar loops continuously so I would end up with a stack of clips that I could then play with in session mode to come up with an arrangement. this would really kick start my inspiration in the writing process.
This video was a revelation for me using Live. Hope it helps...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh-oGl00bnU

pdxindy wrote:
ShawnG wrote:as a "real musician" I would use my license of Live more if I could set up a situation where I could jam out and have the program record succeeding 8 bar loops continuously so I would end up with a stack of clips that I could then play with in session mode to come up with an arrangement.
Bitwig does that...

hmmm... was looking to avoid purchasing DAW number 8, but... maybe someday. that's cool, thanks!

telecharge wrote:
ShawnG wrote:as a "real musician" I would use my license of Live more if I could set up a situation where I could jam out and have the program record succeeding 8 bar loops continuously so I would end up with a stack of clips that I could then play with in session mode to come up with an arrangement. this would really kick start my inspiration in the writing process.
This video was a revelation for me using Live. Hope it helps...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh-oGl00bnU

good video, not really what I'm looking for, but thanks!

Okay, I'm not saying Live will do what you want it to do, but it records and keeps everything when loop recording, it just places it in one long linear recording. How to get it out onto other tracks is the subject of much discussion. There are no "take lanes". But it is the number one most requested feature on Ableton's suggestion site. Maybe soon.

I guess there's something I'm not getting about what people are wanting. The video shows how you can record takes, clips, loops, riffs...whatever you want to call them. From there you can drag/drop or copy/paste to Arrangement View.

Are people wanting takes automatically recorded and stacked into tracks for something? :shrug:

It's a useful feature. I often record long jams (up to an hour long) and it's useful to have those recordings split up into smaller, equally timed segments automatically, as I record. Particularly when multi-tracking. I'm frequently recording to 16 tracks or more, simultaneously, and it becomes tedious to cut up the recordings in each track, individually. When I was still using Live, I had written a simple Max4Live device which did something similar but it never worked the way I wanted and I could only make it work on a single track.

Of course the arrangement view makes the editing part a bit easier but only if there isn't already stuff in the arranger. In Bitwig, if I need to make the same edits to recordings on a bunch of different tracks, I can do that easily, without moving clips out of the launcher. Audio and MIDI can be edited within a clip and I can edit more than one clip at once using the layered editing view. These features may not sound like a big deal but for the way I work, it allows me to be very efficient with my time, when it comes to editing.

16 tracks simultaneously? LA Phil? Big band?

:lol: Just tracking drums. Or a bunch of synths. Multiple outs from a hardware drum machine. Nothing too fancy.
I've been doing videos of live performances, which I like to multi-track, so that I can mix and edit later. Often when I'm recording something that won't be performed the same way twice, I record though several signal paths at once. I'm probably overdoing it on several fronts but I like having freedom and flexibility down the line, when overdubbing is not a great option.

jonljacobi wrote:16 tracks simultaneously? LA Phil? Big band?
I thought to ask the same thing, then realized how many Muppets there are. :eek:

Thanks for the explainer, justin3am.

Coming from Pro Tools and ADATs and hard disk recorders and consoles, the clip launcher and the concept of scenes was a revelation for me. As someone who doesn't often work with loops, these features are well suited for building arrangements from pieces of individual performances. Being able to group edits within a clip has also been a great time saver.

telecharge wrote:I guess there's something I'm not getting about what people are wanting. The video shows how you can record takes, clips, loops, riffs...whatever you want to call them. From there you can drag/drop or copy/paste to Arrangement View.

Are people wanting takes automatically recorded and stacked into tracks for something? :shrug:
I'm not doing "takes" in the traditional sense. For this request, I'm not playing the same part many times and looking for the best performance, I'm just jamming on my instrument, and letting new musical phrases/melodies/basslines/progressions happen, which I would like to continually stack as new clips in session view, so I can then easily review them all, delete what doesn't work, keep what does, and then play around with the session clip launcher to make an arrangement, once I have finished jamming. currently in live, it saves as one long clip, which is alright, I can loop and drag different portions of that clip into new clips. that's what I do now, but being able to set this up to happen automatically would be outrageously useful for my songwriting and workflow.

also I am talking mostly of audio recordings of my guitar(s)/Bass/voice/shaker etc... but I do jam on my MIDI keyboard too. Looking hard at bitwig. I already have Live 9 suite, although it seems I can probably pick up bitwig for about the same as it will take to upgrade Live to 10, and since this feature is obviously never going to be added to live 9, it might be that bitwig will be a better expenditure of bucks for me.

If you right-click the Scenes and turn on the Trigger Recording on Launch option, then you can use some of the workarounds to trigger Scenes like "follow action" (ClyphX, M4L, MIDI loopback), to record to different Clips one after another.

pottering wrote:If you right-click the Scenes and turn on the Trigger Recording on Launch option, then you can use some of the workarounds to trigger Scenes like "follow action" (ClyphX, M4L, MIDI loopback), to record to different Clips one after another.

Anyone know if this works for audio clips yet?

Why is Bitwig the only DAW, which offers LFO/Envelope/SoMuchMoreSources based automation of ANY VSTs PARAMETER (if exposed) and crossmodulation (as in "LFO automating another LFO") - I had some automated multiple multi orgasms in a multisecond when I saw this - they call it "modulators". In Studio One such things are simply impossible and some things are possible via midi cc controlling, but rather... ugly hacks, lots of clunkiness inside. Basically, we just have hand drawn automation... So, what I saw in Bitwig, was a revelation...

I always thought, the MIDI system couldn't handle this, or there may be other deep rooted problems preventing excessive auto modulation. But Bitwig, they do it. Their LFO can even move in a kHz realm. I was quite impressed watching that guy creating a synth from modulators.

If only.... - I can see Bitwig as an instrument in another DAW. Only for the modulation bliss.

EDIT: Sorry, I cannot prevent the forum software to auto display the Youtube video.
Last edited by tapiodmitriyevich on Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:06 am, edited 5 times in total.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”