One Synth Challenge #105 - Thorn by Dmitry Sches (J. Ruegg Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DS Audio Thorn

Tj Shredder wrote:This was my first entry, and I was 100% sure to end as last. I was not at all convinced of my rough impro, but thought it still might be interesting where I would end in the end at the end...
Also except for Taron none of my clear favorites made it into the top 5. I wonder also how many voters we had. Must be more than participants. The difference in points between highest and last is not that big at all (I expected 38 points for my entry...;-) Is this because the tastes are so different, or is it because some voters tend to be too friendly? Or maybe a combination of all that.
In the end its not important. Competition in art does not make too much sense anyway, its about the fun of participation. And from an artistic point of view it would be a bad advice to feed expectations just to win such a competition.
I agree with you Tj Shredder and for what is worth I really enjoyed your "impro", I tend to favour those where I feel some "adventure" in the music production.

Overall this month we had a good recipe for an high level: great synth, skilled producers or musicians (or both), few entries. So it was hard to avoid to vote by my own taste basically. Even those I gave only 2 points sounded good to me. Congrats everybody.

Whoo-hoo! Congrats to winners! It was really hard to keep my distribution of votes at the similar proportion as usual since it's impossible to sound bad with such synth. It means that even those who got 2 points from me had actually quite decent tracks. Shame that Guenon didn't made to top5. It was my favorite track this round.
Also Taron is some sort of Michael Schumacher. How many rounds do you have in a row as top5? :D This is incredible cool :clap: :party:
YT | SC | FB | IG | earror :ud: KO :ud:

Well done winners and everyone, I agree that all tracks had good qualities and it was tough to separate so many outstanding entries!

Congratulations to the winners, Awesome work!
And well done everyone, so many outstanding contributions :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Methinks the Thorn is a bit special, nice one Dmitry :tu:

Well done everyone. Top 5 were solid good tracks, as usual! I enjoyed making a very musical track this time round, so hope it was enjoyed by everyone!

Just loaded my track into my new machine ... 64 tracks in total ... 27 Thorns.

Machine should be OK for a bit now ...

dB

Congratulations to the winners. Really great month again! :tu: :party:
Failure is success in progress.

nice! kind of amazed to finish #2 with such a large cohort of awesome tracks this around. congrats to all, really inspiring sounds and tracks this time around. i found Thorn to be incredibly inspiring, my favorite synth sense trying NI Massive all those years ago...

Prize: Thorn is taken? If so I'll go for Synth Master ONE and Ridan's Niteshade Pack for FM8.

Happy Holidays to you lot.

Congrats!

All my 5's made the top 6 and are pretty much interchangeable as the winner. A lot of creativity and production skill on display - my absolute favorites (Taron, mmGhost, TheNeverScene) were when I thought out-of-the-box creativity and production skill came together in the best way possible. But really, its so hard to pick favorites from this month's crop even amongst the top .. I dunno .. 20? There were some great little experimental gems such as Toonertik's that I thought deserved higher.

I intentionally tried an EDM genre song structure for the first time in a while, good times.
Last edited by generaldiomedes on Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

More :hug: ;) Thanks, g!

I take: Sonimus TuCo

Oh, I'm up!! :)

I am going to stick with Dmitry and take Diversion.

I honestly didn't think I'd place with all the awesome sauce that people submitted. My initial voting was nothing but 5s, 4s and some 3s and it took 2 weeks to attempt to spread them out :/

I do need to give a special thanks to Taron for all the torture I put him through listening to various versions and coming back with solid critique and advise. Oh, and a big shout out for Virginia to mmGhost!

Thanks to everyone for making this an incredible experience!
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

Congratulations winners! Absolutely well deserved rankings for the top.

Since anyone can vote in the OSC if they have enough posts, is there no way to find out what your average vote was? I love how humbling the final vote is, always a nice big gut punch to any tiny sense of production ego I might have accrued (haha). I would like to track my progress across the comps though by some sort of normalized value.

Congrats all who entered this wonderful OSC...
and a special congrats to the winners OFC... and a big big ty to Dmitry for providing us this opportunity))))
Like "neverScene" I also tried to spread them out... but seriously, there were some really amazing submissions... even those who's genre I would not normally listen to now, the technics and productions were so good, I put aside my bias ... :lol:
One of my favs that did not win was liqih ... that totally blew me out and reminded me so much of what I listened to in the mid 70's 80's >>> thankx for the memory.
Also thank you to all who commented on my SC>>> I have answered comments.

functionform wrote: Since anyone can vote in the OSC if they have enough posts, is there no way to find out what your average vote was?
The data tab at the bottom of the Google doc which is linked in the post with the final rankings provides the information you would need.

For example this time there were 40 voters. So simply your score divided by number of voters would give you a simple average vote.
I like to remove my personal vote from the total so the extra 1 vote doesn't skew the results even further down. So in say your case this time instead of 116 divided by 40 I would use 115 divided by 39. A nice ego helping bump to the average doing that :wink:

Or you could get more selective with the data and take the scores the top 10 finalists gave your track and then find the average of those scores. This might help eliminate the troll vote influence on your average since the troll voter never seem to do well. :roll:

Or you could take the scores you received from those whose work you admire and just average those.

All sorts of ways to gauge your progress and plenty of data to work with.
Win10 x64, Reaper 6.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700

heh, looking at the scores... some interesting data in there.

Would "Harry HH" (who gave my track a "1"), "organistchrisrendall" (also a "1" for my tune) and "Mister Natural" (who gave my track a "2") mind elaborating on their scoring system a bit and how I might win more favor with them down the road?

To me a "1" implies you view a track as absolute dog shit. Please comment.

Return to “Instruments”