Arturia V Collection 6

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Buchla Easel V Clavinet V CMI V DX7 V

Sounds pretty good. Now I can remove Dexed from my computer. Never liked the GUI.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

starflakeprj wrote:Sounds pretty good. Now I can remove Dexed from my computer. Never liked the GUI.
Just find the dll file and delete it.

lnikj wrote:
hellomrbike wrote:Since it's not documented in the Easel manual, could I trouble you to explain a bit how you route audio into the VST through sidechain in Live?
In Live:
screenshot_22.png
The drums (Tremor) are muted (useful for the enveloper follower), and the synth is active (useful for the ring mod). You can switch between them.
Thanks for posting this! I was able to use the preamp in with a drum break to make some percussive effects, it's a pretty neat effect.

Browsed the new patches in the Analog Lab demo, was not overly impressed with the CMI and Easel patches, could not see myself ever using them. If I am going to go modular much better options. DX7 patches sounded good, but not definitively better than FM8. If I was to put my $$ into a new retro synth, thinking Repro is the better option.

Hmm...I'm wondering if Dexed users were just the beta testers for the DX7 V
:P :P

I'm looking for a decent process to selectively import patches from sysex banks into DX7 V.

I was rather expecting an "open" menuitem that allows me to ...euh .. open patches.
The ones that I like, I could then import.

Yet, it seems that you have to import an entire bank before you can listen to them. I don't want to pump my DB full with rubbish.

Current process that I'm thinking of is to have a listen first in Dexed and if a bank is pretty good, import it in DX7 V. But I'm rather puzzled there is no better process to selectively deal with patches in sysex banks.

I think that's just how it is with sysex banks - they are banks not individual patches and you have to translate it as a bank first, then users can selectively delete any they don't want. Same in any synth with sysex import.

generaldiomedes wrote: DX7 patches sounded good, but not definitively better than FM8. If I was to put my $$ into a new retro synth, thinking Repro is the better option.
They are rather different beasts.
What I like of DX7 V is a very good interface and tons of modulations options. With the appropriate algorithms, you could even use it as an 6 osc subtractive synth with a separate filter on each osc!, or as a hybrid FM-subtractive synth. Sequencer and the works included.
DX7 V has that typical harsh, bright tone.

What I like of Repro is a very smooth sound engine (currently one of the best I guess). The final patches have a broad spectrum (I was not very content with the beta presets). Sounds can be very silky ( # harshness of the DX7). Modulation possibilities are quite limited though. It's 99 dollar until the end of december, so don't wait too long. :wink:

generaldiomedes wrote:Browsed the new patches in the Analog Lab demo, was not overly impressed with the CMI and Easel patches, could not see myself ever using them. If I am going to go modular much better options.
I don't think the presets in Analog Lab really do the Easel justice. The Easel demo gives you a much better feel for it.

The philosophy of presets with a modular synth is kind of questionable to me anyway. I feel like it's not a good way to learn or understand what's going on. And even saving your own patches, while sometimes handy, doesn't always work well because there are volatile feedback states not captured by saving all the control settings and patch connections.

Okay, it's official. I love the DX7 V.

That is all.

wagtunes wrote:Okay, it's official. I love the DX7 V.
Surprising, as you mentioned more than once that you totally hated the hardware. :P

chk071 wrote:
Surprising, as you mentioned more than once that you totally hated the hardware. :P
Yes, I did and still do. But this thing does so much more than the hardware it isn't funny. If I had THIS DX7 30 years ago, would have been a whole different story.

Aight. Fair enough. :)

chk071 wrote:
The DX7 V plugin and a real DX7 are differnt beasts especially in terms of usability and features.
While i have almost no interest buying a real DX7 (while a D7 IID would be better than the first version...) i love using Arturia DX7 V.

Sound wise DX7 V, especially with the the "Modern" DAC mode and velocity mode set to "Full", could not just sound damn close to the real thing but it actually sounds better than the real thing IMO. You could say that "better" means not accurate compard to the real thing but i this specific case i di not really care about that.
wagtunes wrote:But this thing does so much more than the hardware it isn't funny.
This is exactly why i like DX7 V. If it would be just a 1:1 clone of the original DX7 without any additional features i would not be really excited about it (which mostly is true about the free Dexed plugin ...).
Last edited by Ingonator on Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

I said way earlier in the thread, but I don't think people had a chance to digest these plugins yet...
These 3 are all very difficult or very different to program. It was an odd coincidence for a release to contain 3 synths with such errr... shall we say unique programing architectures.

In my opinion, in each case it is NOT what the synth was that makes these plugins good. It is what you can do with them based on the internal additions. I'm personally digging the CMI. But, I use it in "modern" mode. I couldn't care less about what it sounded like in the 80s. But, it has an easier flavor for doing simple sample based patch building that I really like.

FWIW: I hated the DX7 then too ... and not because of how hard it was to program. 80s pop piano was a wart on humanity.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Return to “Instruments”