BX_Console N, E, G - new convert

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been around KVR many many years and rarely start a new thread, but I had to write with my experiences with the various BX_Console versions. First off, the price is pretty high but not outrageous considering what I spent over the years on Softube and Izotope plugins. I have a lot of very nice plugins and I've done many albums with various tools. Lately, I've wanted a channel strip that I could use as an insert on most channels. I picked up the Waves SSL E channel and felt it was really great on drums. Looking for something a bit warmer for other instruments, I tried the BX_Console N. The EQ on it is really sweet. You can crank it all the way up and it never become harsh. Very smooth. The gate and compressor are very usable too.
I recently started on a rock mix and needed something on drums. I worked with the N channel and by pusshingbit hard I could almost get what I wanted but I still couldn't get that snappy punch I was looking for. So I tried out the bx_console E. Instantly hooked. It has similarities to the Waves E channel but it has a slightly warmer sound. It was so quick to dial in just the perfect sound on the drum tracks.
I had a similar experience with the bx_console G on electric guitars.
Anyway, not to drag this on too long, I found each of the N, E and G channels to have something they do better than anything else. I was never a fan of channel strips but I wanted some versatile EQs with hi and low pass filters. A channel strip seemed like a good choice. I never bought anything from PluginAlliance before. I have a lot of Waves, Softube, PSP and DMG plugins. I have to say that at least for my current projects, I'm going to keep working with the bx_consoles. Great EQ and workflow in these. They have sped up my mixing greatly.
Man... I sounded like a commercial. But these are very good.

I love the bx_console E, G and N channel strip plugins. At this time, I mostly use the N version, as I am a big Neve fan, followed by the G version, which is my favorite SSL model.

The E version is also good and is used occasionally, but the other two plugins are more suited towards my preference.

IMO, Brainworx did a great job developing the said plugins.

Agree they’re great (maybe a little heavy handed), though in my comparisons the UAD ones are a bit better. Waves was a distant third for me.

There's something about the E version that is great on drums. Instant punchy drums. I did like the Waves SSL E but this has surpassed it in sound. I could see mixing an entire album with these three channel strips and a couple reverbs and delays.

While testing N,E,G, I would set them up identically and switch between them to hear the differences. After a while, I came to realize that they are just too different to do it that way. A very small boost on the G will a huge boost on the N to get a similar tonal change. The EQ Qs are just so different. At first, I though the G would be useless because I was using the same settings as the E. They are not comparable on the same settings. I find the best way compare is to make each sound as good as I can and then switch between them to hear the tonal differences. All three are really great. I don't think I need to keep searching for more channel strips or EQs. This has me covered and I'm very very happy with the sound and layout. In my perfect world, I'd probably change the graphics a little (less fuzzy and muted) and make the knob movement a little slower, but I can't fault the sound. On the other hand, that toothpick on a few channels really bugs me. I can't use those channels because the toothpick annoys me. It's like taking a shower in a hotel and a hair is on the wall, and it's not your own.... I know they were laughing when they put it in, but I would have passed it up and kept the joke to myself. Anyway, I have 71 other channels to choose. :-)

Anyone have a favourite as a 'general purpose' channel strip? I only have the E model and happily plonk it at the end of every *channel* but is that the wrong way to be using it ? Should 'E' (as is mentioned above) really only be used for drum-bus purposes, and I should be using G or N for general channel strip duties (or shouldn't I really be using it like that at all ?)

Not got E but I use G and N all the time, most excellent for Eq tasks.
"People are stupid" Gegard Mousasi.

mcbpete wrote:Anyone have a favourite as a 'general purpose' channel strip? I only have the E model and happily plonk it at the end of every *channel* but is that the wrong way to be using it ? Should 'E' (as is mentioned above) really only be used for drum-bus purposes, and I should be using G or N for general channel strip duties (or shouldn't I really be using it like that at all ?)
I didn't mean to imply that any of these were only for a specific task. Sorry if it came off that way. Any of them can be used well on every channel. I did a couple mixes with just the N and was very happy with it. On the latest project, I tried the E on the drums. It was just quicker for me to get a punchy drum sound from the E console as opposed to the N. I could still get something good from the N but they have different sounds.

N = very smooth, can make major boosts without ever becoming harsh. Great on instruments and vocals - good all around channel
E = punchy, this is my favorite on individual drum tracks. Nothing beats it on kick and toms. Could be used on edgier vocals and instruments in a dense mix
G = aggressive midrange, found it to be great at bringing clarity to guitars and bass. Due to the EQ Q style, smaller boosts or cuts are noticeable. have not spent enough time with this to see how it works on vocals.

trmupstage wrote:N = very smooth, can make major boosts without ever becoming harsh. Great on instruments and vocals - good all around channel
E = punchy, this is my favorite on individual drum tracks. Nothing beats it on kick and toms. Could be used on edgier vocals and instruments in a dense mix
G = aggressive midrange, found it to be great at bringing clarity to guitars and bass. Due to the EQ Q style, smaller boosts or cuts are noticeable. have not spent enough time with this to see how it works on vocals.
Good roundup of the various models, much appreciated :) (of course now I want PA/Brainworx to make a BX_Console X that has N/E/G versions of each module, selectable within one super console box :D )

Return to “Effects”