any experience with midi controller 'you rock guitar'?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hey guys,
I used to play guitar, so my playing is much better than my keyboard playing..so I was thinking of getting a guitar midi controller.
Any experience?
I was worried about the stability, updating firmware as I have seen people complaining ..

thanks!

Plenty all bad. Throw it in a dumpster and chock it up to experience.
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

tapper mike wrote:Plenty all bad. Throw it in a dumpster and chock it up to experience.
ops language barrier..I have no idea what you meant :)

Google Translate wrote:Been there, done that. Lesson learned: it wasn't for me. Took the loss as a man and gave it away to my gaming nephew.
Mandatory reading: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/in ... ock-guitar
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

thanks BertKoor
well, the review seems good and it should be more than enough for me..but it was 2011, 6 years ago so what about stability, update and all this stuff?

You could try a demo of this one:https://www.jamorigin.com
Sound C loud
Band C amp
Clicks and pops is all I get

I've got one and I like it. You have however got to bear a few things in mind..

1. They've gone bust.
2. You need to bear in mind the limitations - no string bends, hammer-ons are fitful to say the least.
3. It takes a fair amount of tweaking to get it adjusted to your playing - in particular the string tension has a lot of bearing, as does the velocity sensitivity
4. Be prepared to do a lot of editing; like all these things it will generate a bit of spurious data no matter how well you have it set up
5. The internal sounds are..shite.
6. The neck and 'strings' initially seem weird. I soon got used to it though.

All that said, for a strummer/songwriter type (i.e. not a fancy-arsed lead widdly player) like me, its been much, much better than using a keyboard, and if you put in the effort you can get good results.

I also bought one of these second hand for £50 - does a lot of the same stuff, but not as customizable, and has buttons rather than the membrane sensors on the neck. If you just want something cheap and basic to get the notes into the computer with then it might do the trick for you;

http://cdm.link/2010/10/rock-band-3-fen ... -pro-midi/

See also Alternative Midi Controller Roundup - viewtopic.php?f=102&t=496360
Last edited by Pytchblend on Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

It´s probably out of range for your consideration.

I have the YRG and don´t use it anymore. I bought a Linnstrument and can play piano while using my knowledge of how to play guitar.

I had mild troubles with the YRG in installing and configuration but this is easy to overcome. But I really didn´t like the feel of it. I tested also Midiorigins solution and it does work better than the YRG but it also didn´t feel as organic as it does now with the LS.

Also the biggest benefit is the really cool layout of the keyboard. I even tune my guitar in this style and it can produce a different mood and mindset. Also if you like piano sounds, triads and such are pretty easy to grasp.

I´d advice to test out MidiGuitar 2 and leave the toylike controller YRG at rest. If you can live with the tracking then there´s no need for the LS, but I certainly can be way more productive in a studio environment. Guitar up, guitar down, no hand free for some other tasks, etc. Doesn´t have to be like this. Yes, the price tag. But I use the Linnstrument with joy and therefore often.

Maybe it helps in your decision making process.

If my Linnstrument had survived I would use it with joy as well.

I actually like the Novation Launchpad more because of the surface.. It's bouncy. No Joystick or slide controls but you can assign buttons for that.
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

If there is anyone sitting on the firmware updates for the YRG guitar I'd be very glad if you could help me out - it seems like the file area on the YRG website has gone AWOL!

Cheers!

Hi there,

I also have a YRG (just bought one with old firmware). If I am to use it I will also need the firmware updater etc. - Mr Donkey Tugger - any chance of sharing it via email or 'wetransfer.com' - to clayton.werner@gmail.com....regards

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”