Novation Peak 8 vs Roland System-8

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic

Novation Peak 8 vs Roland System-8

Novation Peak 8
60%
Roland System-8
40%

Total votes: 30

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Guys,

I'm in the market for a synth and narrowed it down to either the Novation Peak 8 or the Roland System-8. The Novation Peak 8 is what I'm leaning toward but figured I might as well throw it out there to see if anyone wants to chime in before I pull the trigger.

Cheers

The Peak Synth engine is far better and more interesting: more modulation, more waveforms, better effects.

The System 8 does offer more filter models (the sideband filters sound quite unique, and the Jp8 and Juno models are very different) and so it offers different characters. But the very limited modulation makes it more simple.

The system 8 has a keyboard (but no aftertouch), a sequencer and it is bitimbral.I picked the system 8 because of this, if the peak had it I would have gotten it instead, I really need the keyboard.

But if you don't need the keyboard or sequencer it would be easy to choose the Peak over the S8.
dedication to flying

Definitely the Peak for me. I think it has a better sound. A bit lusher.

Thanks guys, just picked up the peak.

Came late to this thread but I chose the JD-XA over Peak or the System 8 and am extremely satisfied. Does analog and all the System 8 stuff.

rod_zero wrote:The System 8 does offer more filter models (the sideband filters sound quite unique, and the Jp8 and Juno models are very different) and so it offers different characters.
Not that the Peak has an actual Analog Filter, no Digital Mimics. It also has better Oscillators running at 24 MGHZ so basically is an Analog Synth. I own one, it replaced my Virus TI2.
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

C-note wrote:Came late to this thread but I chose the JD-XA over Peak or the System 8 and am extremely satisfied. Does analog and all the System 8 stuff.
JDXA does Analog?
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

BasariStudios wrote:JDXA does Analog?
Yeah, it's a hybrid with digital (SuperNATURAL) and 4-part analogue.

BasariStudios wrote:
rod_zero wrote:The System 8 does offer more filter models (the sideband filters sound quite unique, and the Jp8 and Juno models are very different) and so it offers different characters.
Not that the Peak has an actual Analog Filter, no Digital Mimics. It also has better Oscillators running at 24 MGHZ so basically is an Analog Synth. I own one, it replaced my Virus TI2.

Yeah but the peak filter has its own character and that's it, the S8 has just in the S8 engine 3 filter models which do sound quite different, then the juno and the Jup too. Not saying the peak (as I said I would have gotten it if I didn't need the kb) is worse because of this (that single filter model maybe more to your liking, I like it a lot in fact) just being objective about the tonal differences that each synth can offer.

The oscillators are more extensive in the Peak without a doubt, but the S8 engine has some tricks too: Vowel, 2xFM, Logic and cowbell models, not much but it does allow for a greater sonic palette than any pure analog synth.

Definitely I want to get a Peak too down the road, specially for all the modulation options.
dedication to flying

system-8 sounds way better than the peak, that's a certainty. the S8 engine is deceptively deep. 18 resonant filters on that alone. had my system-8 a year now, and i am still glued to it every day.
rod_zero wrote:The System 8 does offer more filter models (the sideband filters sound quite unique
the sideband filters are UNBELIEVABLE! worth the price of the system-8 alone... i'm not kidding. the sounds i have been able to get out of the SBFs are MINDBLOWING. the note-perfect jupiter and juno are boring by comparison, but still sound lush as fook.
Last edited by rubez on Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

double post

Not a chance in hell I would pay $1500 for a digital keyboard that did not even have aftertouch.

pdxindy wrote:Not a chance in hell I would pay $1500 for a digital keyboard that did not even have aftertouch.
Its funny that System 8 is digital but it's Juno and Jupiter plugins sound par on par with Analog ones :phones:

yep, i've spent the last year combing through this synth and loving it more each day. essentially identical sound to or better than the analogue originals and the system-8 engine is the best by the far on the synth.

pretty sad these drive by 'plastic' comments, the system-8 is in a class of its own. eye popping sound, expansive and creative control. extremely versatile and extremely fun and inspiring. worth every penny imo.

it has no after touch. yes a shame, but neither did the originals that i'm sure the same people would shell out thousands for. here we get a reliable and enhanced vintage experience for a fraction of the price.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”