Problem with UKU

Official support for: acousticsamples.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi I just purchased UKU. I think it's fantastic.
However, I found a problem (maybe a bug, not sure).
When I go to "Song Builder" and select "Set All Chords", some chord types work just fine (the most used ones, like maj, min and several others), but many others don't work. I mean, the appropriate chord voicings do not appear (some wrong voicings appear, usually the ones of the last chord used) and, even worse, the edit function of the voicing section doesn't seem to work either - in other words, I try to edit and / or insert the appropriate voicings but the program doesn't seem to save or insert the edited voicing. Please notice, this only happens for some chords shapes (for example, 9, Madd9 and several others). For other chord shapes (maj, min etc) everything seems to work just fine.
Help would be highly appreciated, because right now I can't play several chords types at all (cause I can't even fix the missing voicings).
Thanks a lot
JM

Just a follow up.
I'm finding more little problems with the chord recognition engine.
Even without using the song builder function - just using the chord recognition capabilities of the program - some chords are not fingered correctly. For example, the madd9 chord is recognized correctly as such, but then the fingering plays a Major add 9 chord, not a Minor add 9 as it should. This can be fixed manually by changing the fingering, but then when I fix the min add9 then the maj add99 is messed up, and viceversa. There's seems to be a sort of weird "interference" between them.
Some other chords have similar problems (the 9 chord for example, but others too).
If you could fix it, it would be highly appreciated. I think it's pretty obvious that a VST instrument made for strumming should have the right chords ..
Also, in the fingering window, the role of the "insert" button is not clear at all (the manual doesn't explain it), and the difference between "insert" and "apply" (and how to use "export" and "load" as well - again, the manual does not provide help.
Overall, I wish the program would allow the user to edit specifically the way each chord is associated with the fingering - this way we could at least fix the problems ourselves and/or change the voicings to our "taste".
For everything else, the program is really, really great.
But the chords MUST be right .... :)
Thanks for your attention.
JM

I'll look into that.
Btw (and i know it says support forum on our website and i'll change that), but this forum is more for help between users. If you want to submit a bug like it seems to be the case here, it's better to create a ticket.
Anyway, i think i understand what the problem is. We used the chord database for the GD-6 and Sunbird libraries, but some chords like the Major Add 9 don't really make sense here as only 4 sounds are available. So every complex chord for which it does not find a correspondance just plays the previously played chord...
So the bug is that some chords in the list should not be there... This will be fixed soon.

I forgot to answer on the role of the insert and apply.
Iy's pretty obvious though,
- insert: inserts the chord you just created into the list of chords for the current chord you are pressing.
- apply: applies the current edited chord and overrides the previously selected one.
- export: exports the voicing configuration
- load: loads a voicing configuration.

You should look at the tooltip that is shown at the bottom of the UVI interface, it usually explains what each button does.

Here is a tip though, when you want to play a series of "weird" chords, you can just leave the 5 chords, then play just that one note and then edit the voicing for that to whatever you want (don't forget to hit apply once it's modified). Since most song use only a few chords, you can do that for a few notes and then you can focus on just strumming or picking.

Btw, the new UKU version without the complex chords is online, you can download it from your account.

Hi Thysm00
thank you very much for your reply and the advice!!
I haven't downloaded the new version yet, I'll do it later today.
Just one quick comment - but I am sure you already considered this, so ... please ignore what I am about to say if it''s not relevant.
I just want to point out that you can play relatively complex chords on a uke. The example you gave (maj add9) is actually perfectly feasible, because you only need 4 notes (1-3-5-9) and with 4 strings you can easily do that. But even chords that require 5 notes are feasible, as long as you omit a note that is not so relevant for the "sound" of the chord. That's how ukulele players do it. For example, if you need to play a m9 chord, in theory you need 1-3b-5-7-9, but you can omit the 5 (so you play 1-3b-7-9) because the 5th is less relevant to the sound, and with 1-3b-7-9 you would get something "musically equivalent" to a m9 on a uke, perfectly usable for the vast majority of musical applications. And so forth ... almost all 5 notes chords can be reduced to 4 notes if you omit the 5th. Or you can even omit the 1st, especially if the uke is used within an arrangement where the "tonal anchoring" is provided by the bass or other instruments. In that case, to play a m9 on a uke you could play 3b-5-7-9 and it could work just fine in the context of an arrangement.
I am sure you knew all that already :-) (but maybe this can help some other users)
Thanks again!!
JM

JoMas wrote:I just want to point out that you can play relatively complex chords on a uke. The example you gave (maj add9) is actually perfectly feasible, because you only need 4 notes (1-3-5-9) and with 4 strings you can easily do that. But even chords that require 5 notes are feasible, as long as you omit a note that is not so relevant for the "sound" of the chord.
That's how ukulele players do it. For example, if you need to play a m9 chord, in theory you need 1-3b-5-7-9, but you can omit the 5 (so you play 1-3b-7-9) because the 5th is less relevant to the sound, and with 1-3-7-9 you would get something "musically equivalent" to a m9 on a uke, perfectly usable for the vast majority of musical applications. And so forth ... almost all 5 notes chords can be reduced to 4 notes if you omit the 5th, Or even the 1st, especially if the uke is used in an arrangement where the "tonal anchoring" is provided by the bass or other instruments. In that case, to play a m9 on a uke you could play 3b-5-7-9 and it could work just fine in the context of an arrangement.
I am sure you knew all that already :-) (but maybe this can help some other users)
Thanks again!!
JM
Yes, i know all that, but this is mainly a matter of database and what chord is there. Redoing that database with omitted notes would be a nightmare, and since it's possible to create your own voicing for any chord, there isn't really a need to premap all of them.
Btw, the m9 works fine ;)

Thank you very much Thysm00
everything seems to be working fine now! Fantastic job!!
I noticed that add9 (1-3-5-9) and madd9 (1-3b-5-9) are not there anymore, unfortunately. They are useful chords on the uke, and they sound nice. Any chance to reintroduce them in the future? :-) They both are relatively simple 4 notes chords, so I dont think they should create problems.
Anyway, thanks again.
Wonderful product and fast customer service!!

If you can give me the tabs for the finger position for these two chords and for each note, then i'll add them back ;)

Thank you Thysm00
I just sent you a PM, let me know.
Thanks again and Merry Christmas!

Return to “AcousticsampleS”