Wavestation Shootout: Hardware vs. VST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Captain wrote:I have to take back some of the comments I made earlier about the KLC... I realized that the Korg Legacy Collection is actually now called just Korg Collection, and they have a new webpage, and it looks much better and current (just why didn’t they take the old one down / redirect it?). So I went ahead and bought the M1 & Wavestation plugins anyway, at about 20 e / pcs it was hard to resist. :D

Both plugins seem to work perfectly (OS X High Sierra, Logic), no crashes or other problems. The small and clumsy UI remains a problem of course, but it’s easy to zoom in with OS X’s built-in magnifier. Has anyone found a way to easily go to next/previous preset in Wavestation? In the M1 plugin, I can just use the cursor keys, as long as the preset list has focus. In Wavestation, I have to click the preset name or drag up/down with mouse, but didn’t find any way to just easily move to the next preset.

But those sounds! Of course some of them are pretty horrible and aged and bad-kind-of-digital and whatnot, and the reverb is a contender for the worst reverb ever... but many presets are very playable and dynamic, and have a nice wide stereo image and ambience. Some bell/pad/fantasy-type sounds could easily be featured in newer synths/plugins, they sound just fine even by today’s standards (or at least mine :phones: ) I played and used the real synths years ago until moving 100% to ITB, so many of the sounds are familiar to me, but it’s nice to come back to them after a long break. Now I really want to do some 90’s inspired music! :D
I totally agree with you. Whatever sounds are horrible to my ears, I drench them in the Space Reverb preset on MDE-X and it solves their ugliness. :D BTW, I've been using KLC on PC since 2004 and never had crash issues on XP, 7, or 10. I've been using it on my 21.5" iMac since 2015 and it crashes randomly no matter what OS. I downgraded back to Yosemite and it has been working fine. UI-wise, it's small on 1080P but it doesn't bother me one bit.

PS: I migrated a week ago without a hitch and also bought the ARP Odyssey...and I love it. :) Thank God they got with the times...because they were stuck in 2004 for over a decade. :hihi:

wagtunes wrote:You realize what you just said? You have a HUGE monitor and yet you're running it at a resolution that's smaller than mine (1280).
No he isnt.
o yeah, a larger monitor might in fact help me but ONLY if I still use the same resolution that I'm using now.
Tosh. For the umteenth time, its about the pixel size, not the pixel resolution. Will you please stop ignoring the facts youve been given.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

fallacy wrote:
beely wrote:Yep. :(
My WS hardware hasn't shrunk in size because pixel density standards changed
Of course you *do* have the option to buy hardware where the UI has significantly shrunk in size. It's called Roland Boutique xD

fallacy wrote:
fallacy wrote:
beely wrote:Yep. :(
My WS hardware hasn't shrunk in size because pixel density standards changed
Of course you *do* have the option to buy hardware where the UI has significantly shrunk in size. It's called Roland Boutique xD
:lol:
Fernando (FMR)

I finally went ahead and grabbed the korg collection since it was on sale. It's kinda fun playing with old rompler sounds after all these years. After looking at the iPad interface for the wavestation I'd much rather have it than the weird tiny tabbed nonsense they are using at the moment. I'm a bit underwhelmed with the odyssey though. I would rather use oddity 1 personally. I'm really digging the ms20 though even though they decided to make it in their weird zoom in and scroll around way. Having played extensively with wavestations way back when, I'd still rather have the vst version than the hardware. None of the digital rompler/ workstation synths were any fun to program. At least now there's no need to look at a little LCD screen.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

egbert101 wrote:I'm sure Korg are busy programming the new Wavestation GUI. Just be patient!

LOL!

But I hope this statement is true! I'm still filled with great skepticism, as they've known about the GUI issue for so long, and done nothing! I'll believe it, when I see it! Until that time, it's just so much "big talk", IMO.

We shall see...

I'll get over it if they don't change anything. It's all worth what I payed even considering how lame the odyssey is. The md-x(?) or whatever they're called, fx are pretty nice and all the stuff is useable even if it's mostly for nostalgia aside from the ms20.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Return to “Instruments”