What's wrong with my mix (hard techno)

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey KVR,

What's wrong with my mix?
I have EQ on master bus with low cut @ 30Hz with 96dB/oct slope.
After that a limiter turned up as far as I can go without having it doing any gain reduction (about 12dB gain). If I disable my limiter i have about 12dB head room on my master.

I still think it's not as loud as other mixes with similar sound. Also I don't think there's enough energy in the kick.

What did I do wrong? :roll:

Cheers

https://soundcloud.com/krixa/kvr-2018-01-15
Bitwig

Can't listen as I'm at work, but if your kick is missing energy, fix it in the mix, not when 'mastering'.
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

Your lowcut @ 30hz 96dB/oct is WAY TOO STEEP, you dont need that, you'll also create massive phase error there? I dont think you should go over 18dB/oct usually there...
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

ramseysounds wrote:Can't listen as I'm at work, but if your kick is missing energy, fix it in the mix, not when 'mastering'.
I think it's missing energy and is not loud enough. Even though I should fix it in the mix it's still strange I can't get the master audio louder over all?
legendCNCD wrote:Your lowcut @ 30hz 96dB/oct is WAY TOO STEEP, you dont need that, you'll also create massive phase error there? I dont think you should go over 18dB/oct usually there...
Have no idea of phrase issues? I'm gonna try a less steep curve but wouldn't that just add more low frequency and make it even harder to make the mix louder?
Bitwig

krixa wrote:... is not loud enough. Even though I should fix it in the mix it's still strange I can't get the master audio louder over all? ...
Turn up the volume. Job done.

And people think the loudness wars are over!

If you want really loud you could use multiple compressors/limiters, each one doing small to medium amounts of GR (5-ish dB) Use 2 or 3 on EVERY channel, and at least 2 limiters on the stereo out.
High pass everything except the bass and kick, maybe as much as 150 - 200Hz.
And add saturation on the stereo out.

It sounds over compressed to me and the kicks transient is to loud imo, needs more of the thump part.

Others are right about the master Eq being way to steep, if you need that steep of a Eq cut on the master then something is wrong with the mix.

I'd guess it's probably accumulated low end that is cause the master not to reach the levels you want.

Try ducking the volume of the rumble when the kick hits, side chain it, volume automation, auto pan, use whatever works for you.
"People are stupid" Gegard Mousasi.

shroom81 wrote:It sounds over compressed to me and the kicks transient is to loud imo, needs more of the thump part.

Others are right about the master Eq being way to steep, if you need that steep of a Eq cut on the master then something is wrong with the mix.

I'd guess it's probably accumulated low end that is cause the master not to reach the levels you want.

Try ducking the volume of the rumble when the kick hits, side chain it, volume automation, auto pan, use whatever works for you.
Thanks for the tips.
I want the compression to be there to have the vibe but still the kick needs to cut through. I've tried sidechaining instead before, but never got the result I wanted. I agree the kick needs more of the lower frequencies but still without long tail. That's where that rumble is supposed to fill up.
Bitwig

A compressor with highpass filter might help. Also what is the peak vs RMS meter says on the original kick ? And other sound sources ?
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

Re: Loudness - Lots of low-end energy here, and it's eating up your space.
Re: Kick - The low end is way too muddy. The kick has no room to breathe and only the high freq transients come through.

I don't know what you've tried so far but general tips:
- Find the freq of the low end peak of the kick and cut that freq away from the bass track as needed. It could be a few db with a wider scoop or a steep notch filter that cuts deep. Play with the EQ a bit to find the right mix.
- As others have suggested, sidechain the bass to the kick so the gain ducks when the kick hits. Or sidechain to an LFO.
- I think there is generally too much buildup in the mid bass, though my listening environment is currently not the greatest so take that with a grain of salt so to speak.

Return to “Production Techniques”