Why is the Cubase Upgrade more expensive then a Crossgrade?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Update from 6.5 to 9.5 = 299 EUR
Crossgrade to 9.5 = 269 EUR

I don't get the meaning of it. Maybe somebody can enlighten me?
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Perhaps they value "converted" customers more and hence the more attractive price point? Every crossgrade customer means a growing user base for Steinberg.

I remember similar "tactics" used by telecoms - new customers would get a better price on mobile phones and monthly plans than the existing ones wishing to just extend their contracts.

Campaigns often brings absurdities like that.

Was it Cakewalk Sonar that brought 50% on crossgrades recently.
They don't look through entire price policy over that.

Recently look at Adobe Premiere Elements upgrade - and it is the same Adobe store, but target US customers with extra 30% off - but not on europeans and we are the ones with extra 20-25% VAT as well on top of prices.

Makes no sense really - but that is campaigns for you.

Possess 2nd DAW and buy another crossgrade package and sell old license 8)

murnau wrote:Update from 6.5 to 9.5 = 299 EUR
Crossgrade to 9.5 = 269 EUR

I don't get the meaning of it. Maybe somebody can enlighten me?
Because the upgrade you quoted is from a 6 year old version?

From 7.5 it's only £171. From 8.5 it's £136 :shrug:

(Crossgrage in Sterling is £231)

Probably they consider that someone who is still at version 6.5, when they already launched 7, 7.5, 8, 8.5, 9 and 9.5 baiscally abandoned Cubase, therefore, is not interested in the product anymore :shrug:

Thjat doesn't mean I agree. Many labels have just a single upgrade price, no matter which version you are upgrading from. Although this may be considered as penalizing the more loyal customers, I think that Cubase upgrade pricing is too much for older customers.

They could still have a progressively raising pricing but one that didn't raise so much.
Fernando (FMR)

The crossgrade price is normally 325 bucks. The price was temporarily lowered because of the death of Sonar.

That's it. It has nothing to do with the assumptions others have posted in this thread.
fmr wrote: They could still have a progressively raising pricing but one that didn't raise so much.
It's already like this. People upgrading from 7.5 (2013) or older to Cubase 9.5 pay slightly less than someone who bought every upgrade.

Romantique Tp wrote:The crossgrade price is normally 325 bucks. The price was temporarily lowered because of the death of Sonar.

That's it. It has nothing to do with the assumptions others have posted in this thread.
fmr wrote: They could still have a progressively raising pricing but one that didn't raise so much.
It's already like this. People upgrading from 7.5 (2013) or older to Cubase 9.5 pay slightly less than someone who bought every upgrade.
That's right. I see that the crossgrade is 339€ now.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”