Is it time for a post-modern interpretation of nineties music?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ghettosynth wrote:
cron wrote: I had no idea there was a US equivalent to the UK's Criminal Justice And Public Order Act 1994. Just reading about it now. Interesting stuff. It was framed more as a public order thing over here (open air raves in particular, a messy rave at Castlemorton in 1992 being likely the final straw) rather than a war on drugs thing though.
Yeah, my sense is that the UK tolerated the push into clubs better than we did here. Of course in most of the big cities there were enough venues to at least keep things going, but this was much less so in the smaller U.S. cities, many of which had thriving scenes.
Indeed, although I can see things regressing and squat parties/huge open-air affairs becoming more common again because our clubbing scene (especially in London) is so f**ked. Half of all UK clubs have shut in the last 10 years, while London has managed the same feat in the last 5 years. There are only around 200 left in London, and that includes all the mom and pop high street affairs as well as the clubs you'd actually want to go to.

In London it's a mix of landlords selling off to property developers, property developers who've built luxury apartments near clubs and their tenants complaining about noise, but mostly, increasingly insane licensing conditions imposed by councils/police crippling the few left. I've seen sniffer dogs on the door, needing to take your passport to gain entry (this one is depressingly common now), minimum number of people caught with drugs to be handed to the police every night, brighter internal lighting... Any less than perfect, consider your club permanently shut down. It's just grim out there man.

pretty much the same thing happened up north.
gone are the clubs where image was irrelevant, sweating wasn't frowned upon and people weren't there to meet a potential shag...

theres a few decent rock clubs left, but even they are dying :(

and i shit you not, there is a club within walking distance of here where things like eiffel 65 "blue" or that scatman john feller are played and worse still, fill the f**king floor!

how is an experimentalist like me suppose to even explain what i do to these f**king philistines?

cron wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
cron wrote: I had no idea there was a US equivalent to the UK's Criminal Justice And Public Order Act 1994. Just reading about it now. Interesting stuff. It was framed more as a public order thing over here (open air raves in particular, a messy rave at Castlemorton in 1992 being likely the final straw) rather than a war on drugs thing though.
Yeah, my sense is that the UK tolerated the push into clubs better than we did here. Of course in most of the big cities there were enough venues to at least keep things going, but this was much less so in the smaller U.S. cities, many of which had thriving scenes.
Indeed, although I can see things regressing and squat parties/huge open-air affairs becoming more common again because our clubbing scene (especially in London) is so f**ked. Half of all UK clubs have shut in the last 10 years, while London has managed the same feat in the last 5 years. There are only around 200 left in London, and that includes all the mom and pop high street affairs as well as the clubs you'd actually want to go to.

In London it's a mix of landlords selling off to property developers, property developers who've built luxury apartments near clubs and their tenants complaining about noise, but mostly, increasingly insane licensing conditions imposed by councils/police crippling the few left. I've seen sniffer dogs on the door, needing to take your passport to gain entry (this one is depressingly common now), minimum number of people caught with drugs to be handed to the police every night, brighter internal lighting... Any less than perfect, consider your club permanently shut down. It's just grim out there man.
Remind me not to bother clubbing if I ever visit again. We still have some undergrounds around here. Fortunately the cops seemed to have lost interest, however, the events that I go to aren't really frequented by the youngsters that triggered the mass shutdowns back in the day. The kids still go to events, but the scene seems to have fractured into old-school vs new-school. All of the events that I go to these days, not counting the noise and experimental stuff, are pretty much about house and techno.

wagtunes wrote:. I'm dropping it and going to play some video golf where I can curse at the ball for not going where I want it to go.

Later.

sounds like youre not that good at video golf, maybe you should not be doing it...

vurt wrote:pretty much the same thing happened up north.
gone are the clubs where image was irrelevant, sweating wasn't frowned upon and people weren't there to meet a potential shag...

theres a few decent rock clubs left, but even they are dying :(

and i shit you not, there is a club within walking distance of here where things like eiffel 65 "blue" or that scatman john feller are played and worse still, fill the f**king floor!

how is an experimentalist like me suppose to even explain what i do to these f**king philistines?
The 90s? Raves? It's grim up north? Ave it;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tisV0IPaYwQ

vurt wrote: and i shit you not, there is a club within walking distance of here where things like eiffel 65 "blue" or that scatman john feller are played and worse still, fill the f**king floor!
I was surprised to hear some 90's "classics" on the World Championship of Darts on TV the other day. :) In Germany, most of those tracks are almost forgotten, but, the Brits seems to still play them.

i meant its died more recently.
as grim as the klf fellers may have thought it was, we had some great clubs and free partys up north throughout the 90s and early 2000s.

in the past ten years though, pretty much most of the decent places have closed. same thing with pubs too, more and more are closing all over.

i blame bargain booze.

chk071 wrote:
vurt wrote: and i shit you not, there is a club within walking distance of here where things like eiffel 65 "blue" or that scatman john feller are played and worse still, fill the f**king floor!
I was surprised to hear some 90's "classics" on the World Championship of Darts on TV the other day. :) In Germany, most of those tracks are almost forgotten, but, the Brits seems to still play them.

yeah, us brits know how to party...

:hihi:

vurt wrote:
chk071 wrote:

Brits gave us some of the greatest rock artists of all time.

wagtunes wrote:
vurt wrote:
chk071 wrote:

indeed, many great musicians from various genre.

but we also gave the world coldplay, so im sorry.

... and the Beatles. :roll:

chk071 wrote:... and the Beatles. :roll:

aw cmon man, they did some ok stuff once they found lsd.

vurt wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
vurt wrote:
chk071 wrote:

indeed, many great musicians from various genre.

but we also gave the world coldplay, so im sorry.
Hey come on man, Coldplay is great. And no, that's not sarcasm.

Love these guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4V3Mo61fJM

/blocks.

noiseboyuk wrote: Good, well made points, all valid. What is striking though is that no-one has suggested any technology that has actually brought a new sound to the party. The discussion of 90s music vs music today is really about form, structure and the vagaries of changing fashions, the endless re-hashing of ideas in their limitless combinations.

But my suspicion is - if you had the right kit in the 90s, you could do pretty much anything you can do today. It would have been harder, and the process might have been radically different which itself was likely to alter the final result. But in terms of a specific sound or effect.... it was pretty much all there, right?
To an extent yes, but I think that things like Recycle, Ableton and other workflow enhancing software have utterly changed the end result as you point out. If you figure that up until that point breaks needed to be cut up manually in a hardware sampler, layered to keys, resequenced, pitched, filtered, and then resampled, often with only 16mb sample time to play with, it's clear that much of what may have taken days can now be done in a matter of minutes.

I was speaking to people who were doing live techno sets a few years back and they branded a lot of modern dance music as ADHD music, as it seemed that much of it was musically quite simplistic but in terms of sound design, it couldn't just leave a riff or bassline to repeat and get into your head, which added to its mesmeric (or boring depending on your point of view) quality, just endlessly tinkering and adding in further fx and modulations which didn't add to the song but just showcased technical skills, in much the same way that shred guitar solos used to do in otherwise unimaginative metal tunes.

Although it was possible potentially on old equipment, much of the new software means that people can make ridiculously complex, heavily automated music, but maybe, when it was far more effort, the backbone of the tune was far more important and fx and crazy sounds added otherworldliness and atmosphere, now it feels that the embellishments are all and the tunes are kinda irrelevant, which is why many of them sound so samey as they're essentially closer to 80s guitar wank than house :wink:

Not all mind, and not saying there wasn't an awful lot of utterly imaginative dross in the 90s either.

Return to “Instruments”