Ableton LIVE 10 ... Officially Announced. (plus: Buy LIVE 9 now with 20% discount, get LIVE 10 free)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Live

OzoneJunkie wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:Anyone know how much longer the upgrade discount is running?
I'm not sure. But, if you "sign up" for the upgrade, you're not actually committed to buying it. Ableton gives you up to something like 2 weeks after the public release of 10 to make the actual purchase. So, there's no harm in going with the upgrade, as you can cancel (not actually purchase) the upgrade.
OK I selected it in the shop but it does seem to want payment - not sure how long it stays in the checkout but can't see it being weeks. Is there somewhere else I should 'sign up'?

I've only just got it installed but I'm not seeing any obvious performance issues on a 2009 Mac Pro running Sierra. It's indexing but seems to be doing it well in the background – the only real sign that it was doing it was that user clips suddenly appeared.

I noticed in the beta forums that complaints about sluggish performance are cropping up, and they are not limited to OS X. Some Windows 10 systems seem to have issues as well and Ableton wants more details about how they're showing up.

You have to select a payment method but you won't get billed ... as I just did the same thing three hours ago I presume this behavior has not changed in the meantime.

There are people telling they have especially high resource consumption when using high resolution.

The forums on Centercode are hidden. Does that mean I'm banned, or are they doing something universal? Can't think of a thing I said to get my butt kicked off...

Back online. I guess it wasn't me.

Live 10 is announced for Feb 6th!

Is it possible to pre define loop recording lengths for audio clips like you can with midi? Yet?

memyselfandus wrote:Is it possible to pre define loop recording lengths for audio clips like you can with midi? Yet?
I think this m4l device will do just that (though limited to 1, 2 or 4 bars for a clip) - http://maxforlive.com/library/device/4490/clip-length

mcbpete wrote:
memyselfandus wrote:Is it possible to pre define loop recording lengths for audio clips like you can with midi? Yet?
I think this m4l device will do just that (though limited to 1, 2 or 4 bars for a clip) - http://maxforlive.com/library/device/4490/clip-length

What works:
- Creating new loops with fixed bar length on the track the device is on
- Mapping midi or a knob as a bar length selector
- Overdubbing works as usual (the fixed length does not interfere)

Boujaj wrote:Live 10 is announced for Feb 6th!
:party:

Not much time for me to decide whether to upgrade to Suite with the discount or not.

Is M4L worth it? What about the orchestral content? I'm kind of intrigued by the idea of dumping a bunch of plugins in favor of the Ableton devices.

memyselfandus wrote:
mcbpete wrote:
What works:
- Creating new loops with fixed bar length on the track the device is on
- Mapping midi or a knob as a bar length selector
- Overdubbing works as usual (the fixed length does not interfere)
Erm ... yeah that is indeed some text from that page I linked to - Any reason ?

.jon wrote:
Boujaj wrote:Live 10 is announced for Feb 6th!
:party:

Not much time for me to decide whether to upgrade to Suite with the discount or not.

Is M4L worth it? What about the orchestral content? I'm kind of intrigued by the idea of dumping a bunch of plugins in favor of the Ableton devices.
I think it is worth it but I would question if you would actually use M4L to replace plugins. In my experience, M4L is most valuable where it adds functionality to Ableton that goes beyond what plugins can do. You can, for instance add modulators that function similar to the Bitwig modulators. Or you can use it to do multichannel stuff such as Ambisonics though the Envelop framework (http://www.envelop.us), etc. The possibilities are practically endless.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

Agreed, I use m4l stuff all the time in addition to VST plugins rather than instead of (more-so effects than synths, though saying that the Max For Cats modular and semi-modular stuff is incredible). So really looking forward to the closer integration of it in A10

Under Live 10 M4L devices behave pretty much exactly like VSTs. Big improvement imho. I was hoping that I could play around with Sonic Faction's Hypermorph to get a better feel about how stable everything is (because that one has given me some grief under Live 9). But unfortunately, Hypermorph does not show up as a M4L instrument under Live 10, only as a M4L Midi effect. I haven't had time to look into this yet so I might be oblivious to an existing discussion, but it appears to me that some M4L devices might need an update to work properly under Live 10.

Edit: my bad, you have to access Hypermorph through the pack and not as an M4L instrument. I completely forgot that. :oops:
Unfortunately, stability of Hypermorph is not where it should be. Live 10 does not help there. I managed to crash Ableton within a minute. It feels snappier though.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”