Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
AnX
KVRAF

2407 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Postby AnX; Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:53 am Re: Roland JV-1080 finally, as virtual instrument!

Ok, you talked me out of it... :hihi:
Spirit2017
KVRist

65 posts since 11 Jan, 2017

Postby Spirit2017; Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:26 am Re: Roland JV-1080 finally, as virtual instrument!

Any news about the bin converter?
beely
KVRian

1457 posts since 6 Jul, 2013

Postby beely; Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:53 am Re: Roland JV-1080 finally, as virtual instrument!

Spirit2017 wrote:Any news about the bin converter?

As I've said, I'm working on it.

Edit: As far as progress goes, I can convert XV-5080 patches to the plugin format. I'm going through the FX stuff next, running test conversions on known data to check all FX data for each MFX come across correctly (ordering issues), and work out which FX need to be substituted for different algorithms, and the impact that has on the parameters.

I will probably leave out the rhythm set conversion (at least in the initial version), as that is a lot of extra parameters to handle (apart from the common and FX stuff, there are four tones of full synth data for each of 88 keys) and is of less use to most people.

Once the 5080 conversion is solid, I'll move on to adding in the extra 1080 patch conversion mode, which *should* be mostly fairly straightforward. Again, I'll need to check the FX, and also need to figure out the wave numbering differences (I think these are documented online already) and build those in - and again, run tests to make sure the files are converted as expected.

Then a bit of work to update the test code stuff to the web version.
beely
KVRian

Postby beely; Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:42 pm Re: Roland JV-1080 finally, as virtual instrument!

Some updates: Ok, more FX hacking on the conversion tonight, and I've finally figured out what that unknown block of data is.

It's all FX parameters. In the Roland sysex spec, the way the MFX, Chorus and Reverb data is handled is that each gets a few parameters like type, output level etc, and then you have a bunch of generic parameter values - 32 4-byte values for the MFX, 12 for Chorus (20 in the Fantom), 20 for Reverb.

So you'd have something like:
Chorus - Type 2,
Parameter 1 = 08 00 00 01 (Depth)
Parameter 2 = 08 00 05 0A (Rate)
etc. to describe the parameters necessary for that chosen effect.

I wondered why the plugin wasn't using the MFX, Chorus and Reverb data layout from the sysex spec, even though it's there in the file format (the parameters are actually saved in our "Unknown" block). It seemed a weird choice, until I (finally) discovered why.

*All* the "Unknown" block is FX parameters, and instead of laying the data out in the same way as the sysex spec, each parameter for each effect gets it's own unique parameter in the file. So rather than the Chorus block of data having 20 parameters, it actually has 40+, Reverb goes from 20 to 30+, and the MFX block, instead of having 32 parameters now gets 1000+..! (One unique value for each parameter in each of the 77+ MFX types, averages about 14 parameters per effect, so 77*14*4 = 4300 bytes or so).

So I'm glad I've solved that puzzle (it was niggling me), but it does make converting the FX parameters a bit more tricky - I can't just blindly dump the 32 values into the 32 MFX parameters as you'd expect, but I've got to put them in different positions based on the selected FX types (and handling any parameter reordering as necessary).

And because all this stuff is undocumented, you don't have an easy documented map to work from, it's a bit painstaking to go through each effect and document what each parameter is so I can target source values there.

In any case, all the conversion of the patch/tone parameters is great (bar a couple of minor things to do) and I can convert whole preset banks which come across fine (apart from the FX obviously).

So, it will take a bit of time to sort out the whole FX stuff but at least I know what's happening there now...

(You can see why this is requiring significantly more effort than the D50 convertor, where apart from a few exceptions and some spec extensions, the data layout was essentially the same as documented in the sysex spec - and with *far* fewer parameters).
tristan-
KVRist

329 posts since 11 Dec, 2004

Postby tristan-; Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:00 am Re: Roland JV-1080 finally, as virtual instrument!

beely, those are wonderful notions. You're very insightful about this plugin and patch conversion. thanks for sharing it all. It does appear to be fairly complex. crazy amount of parameters for simple MFX. they probably didn't have compatibility in mind I guess.
Spirit2017
KVRist

65 posts since 11 Jan, 2017

Postby Spirit2017; Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:20 am Re: Roland JV-1080 finally, as virtual instrument!

Hi beely,are you closer xv5080 banks in bin for the plugin ?
Still waiting for your good work on the converter:)
beely
KVRian

Postby beely; Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:37 am Re: Roland JV-1080 finally, as virtual instrument!

Spirit2017 wrote:Hi beely,are you closer xv5080 banks in bin for the plugin ?

No need to keep asking - as soon as I have something to say here, I will say it! ;)
tristan-
KVRist

Postby tristan-; Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:53 am Re: Roland JV-1080 finally, as virtual instrument!

Spirit2017 wrote:Hi beely,are you closer xv5080 banks in bin for the plugin ?

Relax mate. You just asked him 4 days ago! nobody here works for anybody. If there will ever be anything for everyone's benefit, it will be posted here and you'll know. :tu:
walker1
KVRist

34 posts since 5 Sep, 2016

Postby walker1; Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:10 am Re: Roland JV-1080 finally, as virtual instrument!

Amazingly, the old classic sound of JV-1080 followed with the classic sound from Korg M1 and its vst cool.

mp3 sound https://vocaroo.com/i/s07OaAUhVIgW mp3 sound

I think I have more advantage of M1 but Pick bass on JV is a good sound.
tristan-
KVRist

Postby tristan-; Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:35 am Re: Roland JV-1080 finally, as virtual instrument!

walker1 wrote:Amazingly, the old classic sound of JV-1080 followed with the classic sound from Korg M1 and its vst cool.

mp3 sound https://vocaroo.com/i/s07OaAUhVIgW mp3 sound

I think I have more advantage of M1 but Pick bass on JV is a good sound.

Well, the M1 is a classic among classics. the JV series was no slouch either.
crystalmsc
KVRist

409 posts since 18 Aug, 2012

Postby crystalmsc; Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:39 pm Re: Roland JV-1080 finally, as virtual instrument!

The SRX Orchestra is coming, I wonder if it's going to be available within the JV-1080 plugin. The main interest is for being able to create a patch from the variety of expansion boards. When they add the SRX-01 Dynamic Drum Kits, the cloud is going to be more complete, especially with the upcoming TR-808/909 plugin. They will have Synths, Orchestra, Acoustic and Drums. Just add a decent Sampler and FXs, it's going to be enough for some people/projects to rely completely on the Cloud only.

Hopefully they don't dump the SR-JV80 line, especially the Vintage board. In the Axial page, they already have most of the SRX boards including the complete presets of the XV-5080 for the Juno-DS/XPS line. Supposed to be an easy port to the Cloud version, but no sign of the SR-JV80. It will be awesome if they include all 512 patches of the SR-JV80-04 Vintage board to the JD-990 plugin, but in another way around it would be awesome to have it in the JV-1080 plugin as well.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 9 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums
walker1
KVRist

34 posts since 5 Sep, 2016

Postby walker1; Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:52 pm Re: Roland JV-1080 finally, as virtual instrument!

A trip with JV 1080 vst song

mp3 link stream >> https://vocaroo.com/i/s133yl1oSxZ5

:o
Munin
KVRist

54 posts since 23 Aug, 2004

Postby Munin; Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:31 am Re: Roland JV-1080 finally, as virtual instrument!

As I understand it the JV 1080 has a complete bank of General MIDI presets. Does anyone know if it is possible to use the JV 1080 VST as a GM output device through VST MIDI Driver / SAVIHost etc just as you're able to do with the Sound Canvas VST or Yamaha S-YXG50?
EvilDragon
KVRAF

15791 posts since 6 Jan, 2009, from Croatia

Postby EvilDragon; Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:40 am Re: Roland JV-1080 finally, as virtual instrument!

JV-1080 plugin isn't multitimbral, so no.
sinemotor
KVRist

85 posts since 24 Dec, 2015

Postby sinemotor; Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:50 am Re: Roland JV-1080 finally, as virtual instrument!

crystalmsc wrote:Hopefully they don't dump the SR-JV80 line, especially the Vintage board. In the Axial page, they already have most of the SRX boards including the complete presets of the XV-5080 for the Juno-DS/XPS line. Supposed to be an easy port to the Cloud version, but no sign of the SR-JV80. It will be awesome if they include all 512 patches of the SR-JV80-04 Vintage board to the JD-990 plugin, but in another way around it would be awesome to have it in the JV-1080 plugin as well.

If I remember correctly, SRX expansions contains all waveforms from previous SR-JV expansions but have different -but newer- patches instead. Like the SRX Ultimate Keys which contains all waveforms from the SR-JV80-04, 08 and 10 exp. plus some of the SR-JV80-09 waveforms too.

Releasing each SRX exp as individual virtual instruments is a stretch. As I'm pretty sure each of these SRX will have the same interface and the same engine and FXs as the current JV-1080 plugin. Business is business I guess...
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments