So many tape sim plugins out there, help me figure out which ones would meet my needs?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So, these days, it seems like a new tape sim comes out every time you turn around! I've completely lost count of how many there are, and then I'm sure there are plenty more I've never even heard of. However, it seems like most of them are targeting a fairly narrow range of possibilities, and some of the results I'm particularly interested in obtaining rarely seem to be on the menu. The modeled tape machines nearly always seem to be 2-inch 24-track models, which isn't quite what I need. Here's what I'm looking to simulate, preferably as convincingly and authentically as possible:

- 1/2-inch, 16-track machines, particularly the Fostex B16 and E16. These have a pretty specific, readily identifiable sound, quite different than anything I've heard from the major tape sims I've checked out so far.

- Those cheap home-studio 4-track recorders with built-in mixing that were totally inescapable in the 80s and 90s.

- Plain old everyday consumer-grade stereo cassettes--i.e., the ones so many of us spent our formative years listening to on a Walkman... :)

Ideally, I would like it if someone could recommend a tape sim that deliberately targets one or more of the above kinds of tape (rather than having to hack together a vague approximation by starting with a 24-track/2-inch sim and adding or changing stuff to get it into the ballpark, which seems like it'd be an extremely error-prone process). However, failing that, I'd be happy to hear about any and all strategies, methods, or techniques that might allow me to get as close as possible to authentic simulation of the kinds of tape I listed above, using any combination of currently available plugins.

Just to pre-empt what I'm sure will be a common response: yes, obviously I realize that for the last two categories of tape I mentioned, the sane and reasonable thing to do would be to simply use a real 4-track or Walkman, given that the results would then be perfect and the cost would be practically nil. No need to point that out, I promise! ;) Suffice it to say, I have my reasons for wanting to see how close I can get using a fully ITB process.

Thanks very much for any and all advice.

Satin is the best all-rounder. It even has Dolby A, B and C compnders.

http://www.u-he.com/cms/satin

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/u-he-satin

Seconding Satin. Sounds great when all the instances comes together. It has multiple tape machine modes to let you do tape chorus and echo effects as well.

I like Toneboosters Reelbus, although I don't know how accurate its simulation is. It has a lot of models to choose from.
A well-behaved signature.

Honestly i haven't found a vst that sounds close to tape, and i know the difference cause i recorded on tape for a decade. I guess Real Tape is the better of them but its protools only and is bloody expensive. But even that doesn't do it like the reel thing.

As for Satin like others r peddling, its really nothing but mild harmonics. It doesn't sound like tape, doesn't have the same wetness or bouncy quality tape has.

Bear in mind a lot of people recommending this or that probably have only ever known hard disk so id advise you to just try them and forget about what others say.

I've tried:

-Scream 4 Tape -mode (it's good!)
-Slate Virtual Tape Machines (Don't like it, too much noise and distortion)
-Waves Kramer Tape (pretty ok, a different flavor than on Scream 4)
-U-He Satin (very clear and undistorted, subtle. Would work well as a mastering "sweetener", but not for more aggressive tape effects)

Out of these I've sticked with Kramer Tape and Scream 4 for most of my tape emulation needs. Usually I stack several of them with light settings, because I've learned that putting e.g. 3 Scream 4s with subtle settings, instead of one with all the effect, gives a better result.

However, in general, I've also learned that: nothing beats the real thing. So if I really want tape sound, I would record to real tape.

Slate VTM is great if you gain stage it properly and no it doesnt distort nor it has too much noise. Biggest contender is Softube Tape, sounds amazing on all settings. Also, Tonebooster ReelBus is great, some models are free of aliasing. Anyway, to me all tape emus sound like harmonic enhancers and none sounds like the real deal. So, do you need tape sim to sound great itb? Definitely not. Its just a flavor which most people will never perceive.

don't sweat too much on details. a tape plugin won't change ur life.

if u are choosing one, think what u want.

fatness? would probably go slate vtm (by everything bundle).

softness of transients? probably softube tape

most realistic and the one u can mess around for endless days? Satin

if u like waves plugin, go with them. the abbey road bundle is incredible and there is someone selling at usd 100 in the market place, which is a huge bargain. but they are all cpu hogs.

they are all very similar, in my opinion. and any of them are likely to get the "tape effect" u are expecting. if u madly compare each of one of them, sure u are likely to find differences, but in the end very similar. it's useless to sweat the details, unless it's a key component of ur music making. if u still don't have one, it's not that important in my honest opinion.

oh, and if u are going for effects, strictly effects, I think goodhertz tape plugin has no competition at all!!!

Kinh wrote:... Bear in mind a lot of people recommending this or that probably have only ever known hard disk so id advise you to just try them and forget about what others say.
You do realise that a lot of folks here can remember wire and cylinder recording? :D

Try the hornet tape demo. If it gets you what you want it'll be the cheapest option.
I own several and almost never like the results. When I want the old analog sound...Harrison Mixbus with it's console and tape sounds the best to me.

IMO, all the Airwindows tape plugins:
-ToTape5 (the best to put at the end of the mix bus).
-IronOxide5 (for saturation and crushing of individual tracks).
-IronOxide Classic (a more transparent IronOxide).
-FromTape (a more simple ToTape).
-TapeDither (tape-like noise).

And all of them are free, suported by Patreon: http://www.airwindows.com/

I was legit curious to see if anyone had any suggestions to meet the super specific request OP had, but it seems like everyone is ignoring the request and just listing out Tape Emu plugs they use. Oh well... :hihi:
Chris H.

I recommend put an EQ before and after the tape sim. Chop the bandwidth down a bit. Turn up the wow n flutter. The most distinctive aspect of the 4 trak cassette recorders was/is the limited bandwidth and the warbly sounds.

Kinh:
I'm sure i'm not the only one here on kvr audio who knows the sound of tape well from years of using it.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

lunarchris1 wrote:I was legit curious to see if anyone had any suggestions to meet the super specific request OP had, but it seems like everyone is ignoring the request and just listing out Tape Emu plugs they use. Oh well... :hihi:
OP asked about casstte tape - Satin has Dolby A, B and C encoders and decoders, part of the "casstte/Walkman" sound. Walkmans rarely had Dolby but a lot of tapes in the day were encoded with it. So play back was usually hissy, bright and pumped. All that as well as the crap sound off tape. Satin can replicate this. Although why you'd want to is a mystery to me. Unless it's for special spot fx?

What gets me is that so many want to ruin their productions with processing designed to do just that. Ruin it.

Return to “Effects”