Arturia Minibrute 2

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well, looks like the S2 is the best option. I have the original Brute, and the want more keys. The seq is cool, so using it with my controller kybds is a better option. No interest in the racks. Price is just right too. 8)

Well done Arturia :clap:

I guess we can expect some modules from Arturia soon too....

man, they really uniquely nailed a Euro solution IMO. The 2S + rack is spot on. The fact that I find the form factor and configuration compelling is a sure sign that it will be a terrible flop though :lol:
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

The price on the cases is good. The 2S seems pretty clever overall. Both kind of miss the mark for me personally I'm afraid:

-- The sequencer output on the 2S is the "MIDI" section of the patchbay -- which means you can't sequence the synth via MIDI/USB, while also using the sequencer for other things. Most likely, you can't use the pads as a MIDI controller while using the sequencer either.

-- I need 9U. I don't have the horizontal surface for an MB2 and a 6U + 3U RackBrute, given the configuration options.

-- The MB2 does what I need -- master MIDI controller as well as modular synth. I just wish it was 3 octaves of mini-keys, and the sequencer and arp could be skipped to save some space. The width is fine, but I'll have to rearrange for the depth. Probably I'll find a new place for my Saffire Pro 40 so I can slide my rack stand back to make room. Slightly annoying since it's in an ideal place right now, and I don't necessarily want my main Eurorack gear pushed back 6 inches. It's making me reconsider the upgrade altogether.

I suppose another option is getting rid of a few HP of modules, switching my Field Kit FX pledge back to standalone format (and putting it in front of the rack stand where the Microbrute currently is), and putting a Minibrute 2 + 6U where my Mantis currently is. Hmmm. Except that would put the left side of the keyboard in an awkward place. :dog:

Just found the copy of this month's Sound On Sound on my doormat, and its got a review of the full set of new Brutes in it.

Quick skim version of the main architectural changes in the Mini beyond the patchbay: loses the sub-osc, adds a second (simpler) oscillator, loses an ADSR for an AR/ASR contour generator
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I'm kind of bumbed out and/or relieved. I'm spending all of my toys budget converting a garage into a studio. So, no funds for this. But, a 2S + 6U combo is way up the list when I start buying gear again.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

whyterabbyt wrote:Just found the copy of this month's Sound On Sound on my doormat, and its got a review of the full set of new Brutes in it.

Quick skim version of the main architectural changes in the Mini beyond the patchbay: loses the sub-osc, adds a second (simpler) oscillator, loses an ADSR for an AR/ASR contour generator
I'm not familiar with the Mini, but compared to the Micro:

- second osc
- noise
- sync
- audio input for the Metalizer
- both linear and exponential FM
- two LFOs instead of one, with more shapes
- AR env
- better sequencer
- aftertouch
- CV over filter resonance
- much better patchbay that makes it basically modular

Now that I think about it a little differently: while the MB2 is certainly a big step up from the Mini, most of these features would just be more of what I already have, not something new. Thinking about the cost of replacing my rack to make room (while likely losing some ergonomic benefits) combined with the upgrade cost to the synth itself, I should probably rein in the excitement and spend more wisely.

(If I were starting fresh though? Starting with an MB2 and then adding a 6U Rackbrute would be a pretty good path.)

This looks really cool. Thanks
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

love the Rackbrute 3U, a bit pricey though at 250+ euros
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwUQKHvmRb4

Two questions for the esteemed panel:

1) For those (like me) who already have the Minibrute 1, is the 2/2S a different enough synth to keep both?

2) I have a Moog Mother 32 that I was planning to use as the basis of a new, small Eurorack system. I had not yet bought the case, though, so the Rack Brute looks perfect. Seems to me that the Minibrute 2 would be a perfect complement, as I would not need a separate keyboard. However, most of the commenters here seem to conclude that the additional features of the 2S warrant choosing that one over the 2 (with keyboard) - curious as to why? The 2 has a sequencer, also, no, but not as advanced? Especially if I go the Eurorack route, I could probably get a fairly advanced Eurorack sequencer module . . . .

Thanks everyone! Just don't want to make a purchase (or sale, in the case of the Minibrute 1) later that I will regret.

bharris22 wrote:Two questions for the esteemed panel:

1) For those (like me) who already have the Minibrute 1, is the 2/2S a different enough synth to keep both?
For me, yes. Im keeping the MB and getting the 2S. I love the original, but also, its currently selling for less than half original price. The 2S offers much bigger mod possibilities with the same classic sound and a great seq. I wouldnt get V2. Dont need another tiny kybd.

Edit: i should add, i have no interest in a euro/modular set up, so my needs are diff.

bharris22 wrote:However, most of the commenters here seem to conclude that the additional features of the 2S warrant choosing that one over the 2 (with keyboard) - curious as to why? The 2 has a sequencer, also, no, but not as advanced? Especially if I go the Eurorack route, I could probably get a fairly advanced Eurorack sequencer module . . . .
It really depends on what you're looking for.

There's a lot of variety in Eurorack sequencers (and combinations of sequencers/utilities) -- some more powerful than the 2S, others more immediate and performance-oriented, and plenty that will get into non-traditional sequencing/modulation/generation. They should work equally well with the 2 or 2S.

I'd say the choice of 2 or 2S should depend more on whether you want a keyboard.

foosnark wrote: I'd say the choice of 2 or 2S should depend more on whether you want a keyboard.
... or the sequencer. I think they should make one without either (a 2R perhaps)?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”