No way to automate Resonance in RePro-1 under Reason 10

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In Reason 10, I've been trying to automate filter resonance of a bass patch and none of the 3 ways to do that work:
- I can't add relevent parameter from the drop-down list in Sequencer, as resonance is not there,
- I can't add automation lane clicking the "Automate" button in VST window,
- I can't record tweaking the parameter manually, because the automation lane is not created

Just to verify, I can do all and any of above for filter cut-off frequency. I can also automate filter's resonance in RePro-5, but it doesn't work in RePro-1

It's as if this particular parameter (and maybe others as well) was not exposed to the DAW (although it works just fine in Bitwig 2.2).

Any ideas?
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Maybe Reason has a limit of 128 or so automatable parameters per plug-in like Live used to?

Urs wrote:Maybe Reason has a limit of 128 or so automatable parameters per plug-in like Live used to?
That could be the case :( I mailed support so let's see what they have to say...

Thanks for getting back to me so quick! :)
Music tech enthusiast

I haven't tested Reason 10 yet, but in Reason 9.5, they only support the first 249 parameters of a plugin.
I had hoped they would have increased this limit for version 10, but it seems they didn't.

There is a workaround to automate parameters you can't reach:

Put the VST plugin inside a Combinator and then assign a Combinator knob or button to the parameter you want to automate. Then you can automate the Combinator knob/button, which in turn controls the parameter.
That QA guy from planet u-he.

tasmaniandevil wrote:Put the VST plugin inside a Combinator and then assign a Combinator knob or button to the parameter you want to automate. Then you can automate the Combinator knob/button, which in turn controls the parameter.
Thanks, yes I'm aware of this but I typically automate more than 4 parameters so that's where Combinator's own limitations come into play... Bummer.

There are two ways to solve it:
- for Reason, to increase the number of available parameters,
- for U-He, to change the order of parameters exposed to DAWs, because I can see dozens of parameters for the sequencer, which I'd never use
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote:[- for Reason, to increase the number of available parameters,
- for U-He, to change the order of parameters exposed to DAWs, because I can see dozens of parameters for the sequencer, which I'd never use
I'd vote for former. Limiting the number of accessible parameters is a rather backward idea which I'll happily award the golden badge of "almost compatible with VST2 standard". Live at least lets one choose the actual parameters within its up-to-128 contraint.

Urs wrote:
antic604 wrote:[- for Reason, to increase the number of available parameters,
I'd vote for former. Limiting the number of accessible parameters is a rather backward idea which I'll happily award the golden badge of "almost compatible with VST2 standard". Live at least lets one choose the actual parameters within its up-to-128 contraint.
Obviously that's preferable, as RePro-1 isn't probably the only VST affected by that.
Music tech enthusiast

I’d have thought something as basic as res would be within the first 250 odd though? Does it even have 250+ params?

aMUSEd wrote:I’d have thought something as basic as res would be within the first 250 odd though? Does it even have 250+ params?
Yes, there's well over 100 parameters for each sequencer step alone :(
Music tech enthusiast

I tried something that might work for you. Using a CV generator, that is just a knob and not an LFO.

https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... generator/ (Free)
Filter Resonance.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

antic604 wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:I’d have thought something as basic as res would be within the first 250 odd though? Does it even have 250+ params?
Yes, there's well over 100 parameters for each sequencer step alone :(
Wow really? Still, I'd have thought given that basic params like res would be towards the top of the stack, above things like sequencer steps that clutter things up.

We group parameters by module. Hosts and plug-in formats which can handle this can display automatable parameters in logical groups such as oscillator, filter, etc. The order of these groups typically matches the order of the signal flow. Sequencer first, then modulators, then oscillator/filter/amp then effects.

Please ask host manufacturers to respect the possibilities of the plug-in formats they support.

Urs wrote:
Please ask host manufacturers to respect the possibilities of the plug-in formats they support.
Happy to ping propellerheads support.

If anyone else wants to, this is the problem.
Where is the rest.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ok. Unwritten Host Law: If a parameter is named "VCF:Cutoff", "VCF" is the module name and "Cutoff" the parameter name. Host then creates submenu "VCF" and throws all params pre-fixed "VCF:" into that menu. Even Logic did that in 2001.

Urs wrote:Ok. Unwritten Host Law: If a parameter is named "VCF:Cutoff", "VCF" is the module name and "Cutoff" the parameter name. Host then creates submenu "VCF" and throws all params pre-fixed "VCF:" into that menu. Even Logic did that in 2001.
That is very insightful, and I would not have thought of that. Totally true.

Their implementation is notoriously bad. I stopped using the "DAW" and rewire from Tracktion Waveform now which fixed every gripe I had. I still like the rack. Their releasing VST support is actually what led me to the U-he product line however it looks like they rushed it.

Return to β€œu-he”