What synth to go next

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Halonmusic wrote:
Zexila wrote:Stick with Massive, you don't need another synth to make d'n'b or techno.
You can make DnB and techno with any synth
You can make music in any genre with any synth. But you need to buy them all. Because it's KVR after all :D
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Apratim wrote:for FM you can get sytrus
Isn't FM8 part of komplete select?

My suggestion would be to get a u-he synth as complement to your NI-heavy gear.
Bazille or something.

Chris-S wrote:

Bazille or something.
Yeah, indeed. Everyone must own at least one U-He synth. Even despite anyone can make any music with any synth. Because it's KVR :tu:

Though Bazille is seriously awesome and may be perfectly useable in techno and perhaps in DnB as well (you'll barely find relevant preset packs for that but Bazille is the most rewarding when you are making your own sounds and automate/control them within your DAW).
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

chk071 wrote: I'd get a more "modern" VA synth, as that's what's kind of missing in the Komplete bundles really. Think Spire, Sylenth1, or Dune 2, if you happen to like its sound.
Concur, that is Komplete's biggest gap IMO. Monark just doesn't cut it as a 'VA supersaw' type of synth. I would add Hive and Avenger to the list, although hard to beat the sheer number of presets available for Sylenth1 and Spire and Sylenth1's low CPU usage. I would probably just go with Sylenth1 to begin with, as I do like the sound a bit more than Spire, it's easier to learn on, tried and true and all that.

JerGoertz wrote:Get all of them, it's the only way to be sure.
:hihi:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

NI Absynth
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=498464
Something very special (like good old vine)

serum isn't better than massive at all...

imo, dig deep into massive, make it your main, don't focus elsewhere until you're mastered it. takes a long time, it's huge.

90% of what Serum does, Massive was doing nearly 7 or 8 years or more earlier.

I'm not saying Serum isn't good, I'm saying it's reputation was built from excellent marketing and hype, etc. It's primary argument over Massive is user-imported Wavetables. But I bet most folks extolling its virtues rarely if ever even use that. After that, just about anything you do in Serum you can do in Massive. And Massive *invented* the modulation system that Serum happily copied almost identically.

Anyway.

IMHO the coolest, most rewarding, interesting, challenging soft-synth is Bazille, and judging from other posts in this thread, I'm not alone in thinking that.

I was scared of Bazille for a long time. Now that I have it, I love it. It sounds fantastic, is deep as hell, you can (almost) do whatever you want with it. Now that I think about it, it's still a little scary... :)

mholloway wrote:90% of what Serum does, Massive was doing nearly 7 or 8 years or more earlier.

I'm not saying Serum isn't good, I'm saying it's reputation was built from excellent marketing and hype, etc. It's primary argument over Massive is user-imported Wavetables. But I bet most folks extolling its virtues rarely if ever even use that. After that, just about anything you do in Serum you can do in Massive. And Massive *invented* the modulation system that Serum happily copied almost identically.

Anyway.

IMHO the coolest, most rewarding, interesting, challenging soft-synth is Bazille, and judging from other posts in this thread, I'm not alone in thinking that.
You are forgetting one very important thing. Serum and Massive sound nothing alike. I'm not saying one sounds better than the other because that's totally subjective, but the sound engines are totally different. I can easily tell them apart.

So what it comes down to is which sound engine a person likes better as the two synths are not really interchangeable.

Zexila wrote:
JerGoertz wrote:Get all of them, it's the only way to be sure.

chk071 wrote: I'd get a more "modern" VA synth, as that's what's kind of missing in the Komplete bundles really. Think Spire, Sylenth1, or Dune 2, if you happen to like its sound.
generaldiomedes wrote: I would add Hive and Avenger to the list, although hard to beat the sheer number of presets available for Sylenth1 and Spire and Sylenth1's low CPU usage. I would probably just go with Sylenth1 to begin with, as I do like the sound a bit more than Spire, it's easier to learn on, tried and true and all that.
Thanks, I will demoing them later. I like U-he Hive sounds though. Between Hive and Sylenth1, what would you choose? Aside from presets. Hive is also cheaper, and low cpu too.

Chris-S wrote:

Bazille or something.
FM8 is in Komplete standard, not in Select. Yeah I'm thinking about U-he stuff too, but don't know which one. Bazille is really appealing, I like Hive too, Diva and Repro have that analogue(ish) tone that i really like. Although most of them are cpu hungry! Something I should consider about in my i5 laptop :dog:

Yes Massive is great, especially in DnB, its my most used synth.. But sometimes I kinda like that thick analogue synth tone in some recent DnB tunes. Massive have this, I dont know, 'metallic' character tone. Other than that, Massive is still great for my bass.

The things is, my Komplete Select is bundled with Maschine hardware, so i can't sell it. So in my mind, i better be using what I have, like Massive and Monark, then buy another synth to complement. Oh well I'm on a tight budget :hihi:

What about Strobe 2 ? Actually I'm getting this synth as a prize in Indaba competition, but not yet received it, its over a month now. Is Indaba even legit? Anybody know? :roll:
I've demoed this, tweaking sounds and some presets, it sounds good. But not really sure if this is what I'm looking for.

Planning ahead a bit, you should aim to upgrade to Komplete when the upgrade is on a good sale. If that is the plan, then it doesn't make sense to buy a pure FM synth, high-end sampler, or virtual eurorack modular because these will be redundant when you upgrade. A modern supersaw VA thing (as suggested above) would be a good complement. Another option would be some different virtual vintage synths that complement Monark; a Juno or SH-101 sim maybe? I haven't tried Lush-101 but it seems to be well-liked.

Return to “Instruments”