Reverbs!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I'm sure this will be a déja vu for the veterans. Can anybody point me to relevant threads about finding a "good" reverb? I'm struggling with the forum search to find relevant stuff!

I found one for ambient reverb:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=452009&hilit=best+reverbs&start=45

Orchestral reverb:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=485412

On the cheap end:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=494022&p=6917008

But I'm rather looking for reverbs:
* to realistically simulate an acoustic room (for drums, piano, guitar, etc).
* for techno/drum and bass/electronic music: one that can place the sound in a big room (factory, cathedral, hall) or something for the build ups.
* for mastering (subtle reverbs that add warmth to my tracks).

I'm basically open to all kinds of reverbs, IR, plate, algorithmic, etc. Quality, versatility have to come first. Low CPU would come second and finally, well obviously a nice price is also welcome!

I have been producing a list of plugin VST reverbs from what I've been finding in this forum... Feel free to add, comment, and correct! (I may have got some of the names wrong)

Liquidsonics Reverbs: Seventh Heaven, Reverberate2, Liquidsonics Verbsuite Classics
Ear Reckon EAReverb2
2C Audio Aether, B2, Breeze2
Valhalla Reverbs: Shimmer, VintageVerb, Room, Plate
FabFilter Pro-R
Waves Reverbs: H-Reverb Hybrid Reverb ... and Abbey Roads Reverb Plates, IR1 Convolution Reverb, OneKnob Wetter, IR-L Convolution Reverb, TrueVerb, Manny Marroquin Reverb, IR-Live Convolution Reverb, Renaissance Reverb, IR360 Convolution Reverb, R360 Surround Reverb
Nu Space Audio Muze, Zephyr
Zynaptiq Adaptiverb
Audio Damage Eos
Audio Ease Altiverb
MeldaProduction Reverbs: MTurboVerb, MReverb, MReverbMB, MConvolutionMB
EastWest Spaces
TC electronic Reverbs: Vss3 Native, M40, NonLin2 TDM, DVR2 TDM, VSS3 TDM
Acon Digital Verberate
Eventide Blackhole
Lexicon Reverbs
Audiority XenoVerb
PSP Plugins Reverbs: 2445 EMT, Nexcellence, PianoVerb, PianoVerb2, SpringBox, EasyVerb
Quikquak Fusion Field
Softube TSAR-1
Ircam Verb v3, Ircam Verb Session v3
Exponential Audio Reverbs: R2, Nimbus, PhoenixVerb
Relab Development Reverbs: LX48 complete, LX48 RHall, VSR S24
Blueverb DRV-2080
UVI Sparkverb
IK Multimedia Reverbs: Classik Studio Reverb, CSR Room Reverb, CSR Inverse Reverb, CSR Hall Reverb
VSL Hybrid Reverb as part of the Vienna Suite
Signaldust Abstract Chamber
Variety of Sound Epic verb
SIR2 Reverb
Native Instruments RC24, RC48

DAW specific:
Cubase: REVelation, REVerence
Logic: SilverVerb, EnVerb and SpaceDesigner

(EDIT: I updated the list with new reverbs and links, thanks for your contributions!)
Last edited by drwx on Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:20 pm, edited 19 times in total.

Speaking from experience:

* acoustic room:
- 2C Audio Aether - algorithmic but rooms are gorgeous.
- Any convolution (probably bundled with your DAW?) + you just need decent IRs.

* techno/drum/electronic (halls, sound design)
- 2C B2 (makes insane spaces) its very CPU intensive.
- Audio Damage Eos 2 (makes great huge spaces, but not as lush /complex as B2 - but its cheaper and still an amazing reverb)

* mastering
- FabFilter Pro-R (it has very unique controls, where you can control decay based on frequency - so its not "one decay for broadband", but rather you can shorten decay for a specific frequency band. Very unique - i don't know any other that has it.
- Breeze2 (i suspect, but haven't had enough experience with it)

I haven't played with Breeze2 that much unfortunately so I don't know where to put it.
Breeze1 is my go-to track reverb because its very cpu efficient and has a great sound, for plate, simple ambiences, etc.
Breeze2 looks much more versatile than Breeze1 because it has more algorithms, but out of three 2C reverbs I'd say Aether can stretch the farthest. (But Breeze2 might be close - I don't know)

Kaleidoscope is not a reverb but an insane spectral synth.

Beside these I mentioned, I've only really used Lexicon. I currently have 2C Perfect Storm, Pro-R, and logic's SilverVerb, EnVerb and SpaceDesigner. Frankly I pretty much stopped searching when i bought 2C audio because with one of the three + Logic's convolution, I didn't really have the need for anything else.

Perhaps?

Review - 2016 Stereo Room Reverb Plug in By Eventide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDS0WrdGgO8

I think Liquidsonics Seventh Heaven Pro, even considering it's price, is the current king of Reverb. It's just ridiculously awesome.

On the cheaper spectrum I always recommend EAReckon EAReverb 2 (which isn't on your list. Check it out! Especially good for "realistic" simulated rooms and stuff).
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Ploki wrote:Speaking from experience:

* acoustic room:
- 2C Audio Aether - algorithmic but rooms are gorgeous.
- Any convolution (probably bundled with your DAW?) + you just need decent IRs.

* techno/drum/electronic (halls, sound design)
- 2C B2 (makes insane spaces) its very CPU intensive.
- Audio Damage Eos 2 (makes great huge spaces, but not as lush /complex as B2 - but its cheaper and still an amazing reverb)

* mastering
- FabFilter Pro-R (it has very unique controls, where you can control decay based on frequency - so its not "one decay for broadband", but rather you can shorten decay for a specific frequency band. Very unique - i don't know any other that has it.
- Breeze2 (i suspect, but haven't had enough experience with it)

I haven't played with Breeze2 that much unfortunately so I don't know where to put it.
Breeze1 is my go-to track reverb because its very cpu efficient and has a great sound, for plate, simple ambiences, etc.
Breeze2 looks much more versatile than Breeze1 because it has more algorithms, but out of three 2C reverbs I'd say Aether can stretch the farthest. (But Breeze2 might be close - I don't know)

Kaleidoscope is not a reverb but an insane spectral synth.

Beside these I mentioned, I've only really used Lexicon. I currently have 2C Perfect Storm, Pro-R, and logic's SilverVerb, EnVerb and SpaceDesigner. Frankly I pretty much stopped searching when i bought 2C audio because with one of the three + Logic's convolution, I didn't really have the need for anything else.
I actually think this is a fair assessment and advice based on what you're asking for.... And specificity for end results will get you hopefully good responses rather just listing everyone's favorites.

Rooms
Aether really is beautiful for rooms, but can be CPU intensive, so depending on your workflow that might be a non-issue. I would consider it more as a finishing tool only because that is how I use it.
Valhalla Room has to be mentioned and probably will be mentioned quite often. Where this one excels IMHO is on dark rooms. It is versatile and affordable, but its not my preference for using when isolating snare hits, for that plates (including Vanlhalla Plate should be discussed).
Convolution is actually great use here for achieving realistic rooms and you can usually supplement your IR collection cheaply as needed.

I can't comment on Techno, but again Ploki describes well enough IMO two major strengths of EOS and B2. Both are wonderful for that.

Good luck on this as the number of responses can be as numerous as the number of reflections in a dense reverb tail.
Last edited by elxsound on Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

breeze 2 if you can afford it.
XenoVerb if you just want one to do everything.
done

For realistic reverbs no one can beat a convolution reverb with some premium quality IR
Win 10 x64 with specs enough to run DAW without bouncing any track
KZ IEM,32-bit 384Khz dac running at 32bit 48Khz
mainly use REAPER, MTotalbundle, Unfiltered Audio TRIAD and LION, NI classic collection,......... ETC

Apratim wrote:For realistic reverbs no one can beat a convolution reverb with some premium quality IR
Except for when the room you want is not available

Here's a bunch videos I did that might be helpful. THe 30 Shades video has links to jump to the different reverbs in the video description. Please consider subscribing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usr__kFk2qQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FaZ3ehHU1A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCzyIxjgad0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvxlypJxohc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Frg8JGSt0jY

For convolution stuff these are really, really good (nice selection of halls, rooms, plates ambience) and it's just a donation (if you like em..);

http://www.samplicity.com/bricasti-m7-i ... responses/

Liquidsonics Reverberate 2 does all that you ask, and does it beautifully. It is my favorite, and I own many - including the awesome Seventh Heaven Pro.

H-Reverb would be my second choice, great graphical editor/easy to maneuver, covers huge ground of great sounds.

Acon Verberate is an algo verb emulating convolution reverb, and is very good at it.

On top of the already good suggestions, you might also look at http://relabdevelopment.com/

K

MTurboReverb will do all of these duties and depending on the preset it can be very light on CPU.

VSL Hybrid Reverb. Big subject, I don't feel like a lot more typing today. But it's very efficient on CPU while delivering a huge benefit and there is probably something crafted for yer use case scenario. Rooms, chambers, churches, plates, 'scoring stages', special (reverse taps for instance), the whole shebang. Control over algo tail from convo'd early reflections like nobody's bizness...

Return to “Effects”