Korg Prologue

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dammit, I just bought a Minilogue last month and now this beauty is coming out. The past few weeks I've been loving the Mini and was pleased with my purchase, but upon reading this news about the Prologue I was hit with instant buyer's remorse; I wish I'd waited. Anyone want to buy a used Minilogue in mint condition? :hihi:

AnX wrote:
sqigls wrote:it seems these were created to simply boost sales of the other 'logue's..?
apart from the open source oscillators, who would really buy one of these? [you don't need to answer this]
the listed price for the 8 voice is $2000. Mono-timbral? even duo-timbral at $1500 is asking a bit much.
8 voice is 1499, 16 voice is 1999.
yeah i know, but another page had it pegged at $2200 and $2500 for whatever reason.

looking over the specs, i just can't see how these 'flagship' synths are so un-flagship like.
I'm sure the FX will be good, but... i guess the open source thing could open up some crazy options.

Pretty nice overall. I'm curious about programmable oscillators / effects. Not for myself, though :hihi: It is interesting to be able to customize your own synth, but who actually has time and will for that? Probably only modular / DIY geeks. Minilogue has been exact opposite of that, so far.
Just now I realised I didn't use many option Serum has to offer, even though it's my favourite synth and so easy to use. So how about programming own OSCs with sparate SDK and importing them to hardware? :nutter:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

I won't trade in my minilogue and Rev 2 for this one.
Most of the fat juicy sounds on the Prologue comes from unison and the L.F Comp which i can replicate on my Rev 2 or minilogue with unison and eq + Comp.

I guess that many of the 8 voice Prologue will end up in second hand sales after people realize that it doesn't sound like the demos where they use the L.F comp in the 16 voice version demos to beef up the sound.

So unless i see a deep review of the 8 voice version i will wait to try it out myself to see if it is worth adding to my collection :)

too expensive.
I hope they can do a downsized 4 voice version for the budget market.

adding a 3rd oscillator (digital) was a smart move.
also the drive option for the filter is interesting, as the minilogue filter is a bit sterile at times.
plus the high quality korg effects are nice to have on board.

If they could add these in a Minilogue2 at a 500$ price I'd upgrade.

It is not clear if the filter in the Prologue is 12db or 24db. it doesn't say in the specs. If it is a 12db then I'm not interested.

so long as it suits the synth i guess. many synths are better off with a 12 dB filter, i'm interested to get my hands in one and check it out, but yeah, it's a tad expensive on paper in my early opinion.

olikana wrote:too expensive.
It does seem a bit high. That said, it's an RRP and in time Korg products can become more heavily discounted than other brands such as DSI. Disappointing to see the 8 voice misses out on keys, compressor, timbre controls etc.

olikana wrote:too expensive.
I hope they can do a downsized 4 voice version for the budget market.
LOL.

@EvilDragon
Have you seen inside pictures of 16 voice one? It has *surprise* 4 voice boards that look almost identical to minilogue one. So why it's not Minilogue filter?

Murderous duck!

It's weird that some people find a single lfo more limiting than a monophonic synth.

david.beholder wrote:@EvilDragon
Have you seen inside pictures of 16 voice one? It has *surprise* 4 voice boards that look almost identical to minilogue one. So why it's not Minilogue filter?
Because they are not 100% identical. The filter was definitely adjusted, plus it doesn't have a 4-pole mode, so that should give you some hints.

EvilDragon wrote:Because they are not 100% identical. The filter was definitely adjusted, plus it doesn't have a 4-pole mode, so that should give you some hints.
If you look at the board components are rearranged but count and grouping is almost identical - so may be they've simple threw away second pair of poles.

No 4-pole filter :borg: I thought they just don't use it.
Murderous duck!

masterhiggins wrote:It's weird that some people find a single lfo more limiting than a monophonic synth.
What's so weird about that? Depends on what you want to do. Have you heard all those people with modular synths complaining about monophony? :P

david.beholder wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:Because they are not 100% identical. The filter was definitely adjusted, plus it doesn't have a 4-pole mode, so that should give you some hints.
If you look at the board components are rearranged but count and grouping is almost identical - so may be they've simple threw away second pair of poles.

No 4-pole filter :borg: I thought they just don't use it.
Prologue has filter drive, Minilogue doesn't. Also, Prologue's filter doesn't lose as much bass as MInilogue when increasing resonance. They are definitely different. Similar flavor, but different enough.

EvilDragon wrote:Prologue has filter drive, Minilogue doesn't. Also, Prologue's filter doesn't lose as much bass as MInilogue when increasing resonance. They are definitely different. Similar flavor, but different enough.
I'm reading GS too :hihi:. and since famous Diva vs OB8 I'm taking reports from GS with grain of salt or two.

I might recall wrong but minilogue 2 pole was losing less bass than 4 pole but different gain staging/post filter shifts character of sound. I'm seeing it on Bass Station 2 that has mixer drive, filter drive and distortion.

But no 4 pole filter. God why???
Murderous duck!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”