What's a good VSTi for supersaw/hypersaw patches?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

At the moment some of my favorite synths with a decicated Supersaw/Hypersaw feature (not just a "usual" Unison) are:

- U-He Diva (includes full JP-8000 oscillator with different modes, not only the Supersaw)

- Tone2 Electra 2.1 (the v2.1 includes additional modes for the Ulrasaw osc mode, several more than in v2.0)
new modes also include e.g.: Hypersaw Vir 7x, Hypersaw Vir 9x, Supersaw JP

- Waldorf Nave plugin : The VA ocillator has an "Überwave" mode that could produce up to 8 detuned waveforms (works for all waveforms of the VA oscillator like e.g. Saw, Square, variable Pulse, Triangle).
The "Überwave" does not work for the 2 wavetable Oscs but the plugin has an additional global Unison with up to 4 voices (also works in combination with the Überwave).
IMO the Überwave in combination with the Saw wave could sound quite "Roland like". Fo that the best is to use 7 detuned Saws like in the real thing.

- DUNE 2 : The "Supersaw" feature works for all waveforms, including the wavetables and the FM mode. The stereo spread feature is quite nice and also the options for "shaping" the detuned waveforms (e.g. decreasing volume for the detuned waveforms related to the central wave). Also allows up to 32 detuned waveforms, not "just" 8 or less.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:At the moment some of my favorite synths with a decicated Supersaw/Hypersaw feature (not just a "usual" Unison) are:

- U-He Diva (includes full JP-8000 oscillator with different modes, not only the Supersaw)
Pluugger has a DIVA bank using this oscillator exclusively.
http://www.plughugger.com/diva-the-seco ... sance.html
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Sounds quite good actually (despute I'm not a fan of this kind of trance). I should reinstall my ANA.

It seems that what some consider to be the weak point of ANA's sound actually makes it work in modern EDM context.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

The sound examples are nice, but whenever i demo'd it, i was a bit disapointed. Couldn't really compare to the likes of Spire, Sylenth, Electra and such.

I don't have ANA installed now, but I remember it sounds thin and bright or even noisy compared to Sylenth and Spire. Indeed either of these two sounds much better in isolation.

However, there seems to be the trend in current EDM towards such bright noisy sound, which is acheived by heavy equalisation and compression. Since Sonic Academy primarily make tutorials on this kind of music, they might keep this in mind when adjusting the character of their synth, to minimize the need of external processing.

As for me, I'm mostly into psytrance. Spire and Dune2 are my main synths, but when I heard these examples I thought that if I ever decide to write something in pop full-on style, ANA may be my synth of choice for that.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

You can make some nice supersaw in harmor too with some tweak into the env. unison /Volume/pan/pitch/phase/thickness/filter....

This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

I'd give this one to Zebra and Blofeld. Z3ta+ is a big miss.

I don't do supersaws as such, but I use SynthTech E370's Cloud mode a lot, with more interesting waveshapes. Usually I double up on VCOs so I can pan them separately.

Otherwise I'd use LuSH-101 because it's what I have.

Not a valid comparison as the tunings, envelopes and filters are way off. So this is a comparison of complete synthesizers tuned with a "roughly the same type of sound" and is completely inaccurate.

aciddose wrote:Not a valid comparison as the tunings, envelopes and filters are way off. So this is a comparison of complete synthesizers tuned with a "roughly the same type of sound" and is completely inaccurate.
I don't think the intention was to recreate the virus hypersaw with the highest possible accuracy (which is impossible unless emulation is what you're going for) but to create a similar feel in different synths because ultimately there is no "best" hypersaw patch cause it's all a matter of taste. Just because the virus is a popular hardware synth doesn't have to mean it's THE definitive synth for that kind of sound.

I didn't find it very accurate at the time of creation as well. Tunings are off, and, the first try of Sylenth1 even had phase retriggering, making the sound phase hard. According to the OP, the idea wasn't to make them as close as possible though, but, rather tune them the way the OP wanted them to sound. So, that's fine. I always thought about making a "real" supersaw comparison with the plugins i have, but, you know how it is... lazy. :P Frankly, i don't know how much sense it would make anyway. The synths with a good, solid supersaw are well known. Think Virus, JP-8k, Sylenth1, Spire, maybe Electra2 (check out the Ayin-Zahev sound set for it, really nice) and Diva with the Virus hypersaw, respectively JP-8000 supersaw.

Blofeld sounds horrible IMO, i mean the supersaw. Not much of a wonder though, as it doesn't offer per oscillator unison, the oscillators are quite bright and harsh, and 6x unison simply is a bit too few voices. Don't get me wrong, i really like the sound of the Blofeld and Largo, but, for supersaw sounds, they're pretty hopeless. And, in the Zebra example, you hear some harshness of the filter, when it's closed, which isn't very pleasant for me (it's one of those filters which sound attenuated (like they had some resonance on) by default, Dune 1 has the same "issue". Again, it probably has a reason why it is not largely used for those kind of sounds. Hive is probably a better candidate.

chk071 wrote:Blofeld sounds horrible IMO, i mean the supersaw. Not much of a wonder though, as it doesn't offer per oscillator unison, the oscillators are quite bright and harsh...
chk071 wrote:And, in the Zebra example, you hear some harshness of the filter, when it's closed, which isn't very pleasant for me (it's one of those filters which sound attenuated (like they had some resonance on) by default, Dune 1 has the same "issue". Again, it probably has a reason why it is not largely used for those kind of sounds.
It figures that the ones I liked are supposedly "harsh" :lol:

I don't listen to enough... whatever... to know what the Canonically Correct Supersaw is supposed to be. If I were tweaking a synth capable of all these variations, I would probably land on the Blofeld one. I definitely wouldn't take the Sylenth one as is.

Synth1 with some fx over it sounds like free Virus vst - just have to find right patches or learn to programm it :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyrN6VMp7Wc

They all sound very different but I actually prefer Synth1 in this comparison.

Return to “Instruments”