Bitwig 2.3 announcement

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

tooneba wrote:So are they going to maintain several software package like 1.5.3, 1.6.2, 2.1.2, 2.3.1, 2.5.1, etc. to cater bug fix for previous subscribers and existing subscribers? It shouldn't be easy task, right?
Seems unlikely to me...

You pretty much only see bug fixes for one version back (or less) on most DAWs, you pretty much always have to upgrade to stay current anyway.

Happened to me a lot with Cubase!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

My biggest Bitwig show stopper was time stretching, next few smaller ones are vertical zooming and resource hogging (but if resource hogging is price to pay for solid and reliable experience, than let it be), so yeah, guess I'm good to go from 2.3 and everything they add from that point is just a huge bonus on already satisfying thing, well done guys, gonna just wait to demo 2.3 before going for it. :tu:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Still no rewire?
What sound do dreams make when they die?

I give Bitwig thumbs up for trying out a new way of puchasing software but this kind of confusion is just weird from a consumer point of view.

tooneba wrote:So are they going to maintain several software package like 1.5.3, 1.6.2, 2.1.2, 2.3.1, 2.5.1, etc. to cater bug fix for previous subscribers and existing subscribers? It shouldn't be easy task, right?

----------------------

I would not have bought bitwig if I knew they charged for minor updates after one year.
Asus CM6870 3AB, i7 3770 Ivy, 16GB RAM, 240GB SSD, 7TB Internal, Windows 8 64bit Pro,RME Firface UC, Reaper. Ableton Live 9, Sonar X2, Maschine.

Aren't they going to generously :D give this update for all 2.0 purchaser?

I think its cool of them to give the update to everyone, although I suspect the main reason
being, that they don't want to be accused of withholding features to lure people to renew
their subscription at a time when many are due to lapse. Because that was something the
model was supposed to eliminate. Personally, I suspect that they, in fact, have been withholding
features contrary to what they had claimed at the time. I do believe that the reasons for
it are far simpler and not revenue related. Likely, its just much easier to save them for
a major update, rather than dole them out as they become available. This would be perfectly
reasonable, aside from the fact that such a practice could easily conflict with the subscription
model that they have chosen. By that I mean, people could miss out on features that could
have been made available during their cycle, which were withheld to simplify deployment
or whatever.

Think about it, does anyone really believe that all the features touted in 2.3 only materialized
since the last update e.g. in the last 35 days. Its possible, sure, but I seriously doubt it.

Anyway, pure conjecture on my part. Certainly, that much is true.

-Cheers

*My main point being, that the model seemingly, has done little to satisfy its initial intentions,
from the customer perspective at least. Good or bad... No judgments here, just observations.

pekbro wrote:
Think about it, does anyone really believe that all the features touted in 2.3 only materialized
since the last update e.g. in the last 35 days. Its possible, sure, but I seriously doubt it.

Anyway, pure conjecture on my part. Certainly, that much is true.

-Cheers
Of course they didn't just materialize... but if they were going for a regular paid upgrade, then some of the features in 2.1 and 2.2 would presumably have been held back...

But hell, I really just don't care... the pace of development is the pace of development... however they get doled out, it's a pace I'm now happy with

pekbro wrote: they don't want to be accused of withholding features to lure people to renew
their subscription at a time when many are due to lapse. Because that was something the
model was supposed to eliminate. Personally, I suspect that they, in fact, have been withholding
features contrary to what they had claimed at the time. I do believe that the reasons for
it are far simpler and not revenue related. Likely, its just much easier to save them for
a major update, rather than dole them out as they become available. This would be perfectly
reasonable, aside from the fact that such a practice could easily conflict with the subscription
model that they have chosen.
As a Live user that was excited about Bitwig then nonplused with the lack of similar features of Live etc. I'm waiting to see how this plays out. Already it's slightly less exciting to see them roll a bunch of features into an update rather than incremental updates with single new features etc.

I think the update is underwhelming in terms of dazzling new features to a DAW, just new to Bitwig. So until they add in their "modular" system and the online collaboration features they promised in v2 over two years ago I'm sticking with Live.

machinesworking wrote: I think the update is underwhelming in terms of dazzling new features to a DAW, just new to Bitwig. So until they add in their "modular" system and the online collaboration features they promised in v2 over two years ago I'm sticking with Live.
Unison (Voice Stacking) at the DAW level seems pretty new... how many DAW's have that? Or a modulator that allows you to set a parameter per unison voice. Also, the Instrument and Effect Selector Devices seem quite good.

Perhaps those features don't interest you, but they are for sure more than just 'catching up' to other DAW's

machinesworking wrote:I think the update is underwhelming in terms of dazzling new features to a DAW, just new to Bitwig.
That's really not a bad thing, especially if implementation of the feature is very well done, sometimes we just don't need new features, but old one to work efficient.

For example Cubase just got bezier automation curves, which made plenty of folks more happy than some never seen feature before, what would made more people happy is to have sample accurate automation that doesn't drift apart when you change buffer size.

My major complaint of Logic is the automation implementation, Bitwig on other way have done good job in that area, painless, solid PDC, it's joy working with automations in it. My major complaint in Bitwig was time stretching, voila, seems it's addressed already.

"We had that feature in DAW X for X years", yeah, but what you still don't have and how what you have is implemented should be taken in consideration too.

In the end of the day, I just want DAW that let me do stuff as quick and painless possible, to get away from me and music making, one that does that probably have to do plenty of catching up and plenty of polishing of that same things to really be great, new shinny feature means nothing to me, if some essential feature is giving me headaches.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

pdxindy wrote:
machinesworking wrote: I think the update is underwhelming in terms of dazzling new features to a DAW, just new to Bitwig. So until they add in their "modular" system and the online collaboration features they promised in v2 over two years ago I'm sticking with Live.
Unison (Voice Stacking) at the DAW level seems pretty new... how many DAW's have that? Or a modulator that allows you to set a parameter per unison voice. Also, the Instrument and Effect Selector Devices seem quite good.

Perhaps those features don't interest you, but they are for sure more than just 'catching up' to other DAW's
cant you do something similar to the unison and selector in Live by placing instances in an instrument rack... (multiple instances, chain selectors etc) - thats not saying its not useful, for BWS, just not unique.
I think the audio time stretching seems to be the 'big thing' in 2.3, but like most of the other updates, these (or similar) are already in Live/other daws

phase 4, nice.. sure, all daws are getting more instrument e.g. the new wave synth in L10 is fantastic.

none of this is bad... BWS is young, it does need to play catch up still, this will 'round it out', meaning some of its more 'unique features', like MPE, multi touch support , modulators can be used without feeling your are missing other things.

so yeah, i think it feels a bit lacklustre, unlike 2.0 where its modulators felt fresh (even if you feel M4L provided similar)

I think the 'disappointment' for me, as @machineslearning mentioned, is an open modular system was promised on release, but its constantly been pushed back... each year we hear less about it, to the point where I'm starting to doubt it will ever be released... (perhaps due to good technical reasons)

sure, one can argue about how good (performance/ease of use) M4L is, but Ableton/Cycling74 are still actively improving it (see L10 announcements), and we can use it today.

by comparison, the user accessible modular system in BWS seems to be vapourware - I'm sure thats ok for some, but as an early adopter it was part of the excitement I had for BWS ... so yeah 2.3 is a bit :zzz:

Resonant- Serpent wrote:Still no rewire?

Rewire??

Blast from the past!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”