Official Serum thread!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

plexuss wrote:Sorry to add life to a zombie-thread, but this is the offical Serum thread afterall.

Here's a little ditty (a 10 min long little ditty) using Serums and Simon's patches + MODO bass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g78Q3SLEvMQ
I totally missed this, thank you, great stuff, I'm delighted...

plexuss wrote:Sorry to add life to a zombie-thread, but this is the offical Serum thread afterall.

Here's a little ditty (a 10 min long little ditty) using Serums and Simon's patches + MODO bass.

Cool sound, cool vid!
How have you done this video?

martinjuenke wrote:

Cool sound, cool vid!
Magic Music Visuals

plexuss wrote:
martinjuenke wrote:

Cool sound, cool vid!
Magic Music Visuals
Okay, thanks, I‘ll check it out.

You guys got pretty angry with my remark, so, other people cant have opinion if they dont like something? I was speaking for myself, I dont like it, if you do, great for you. I wanted to sell my Serum, but cant since I bought it 2nd, too bad, waste of money...

HcDoom wrote:You guys got pretty angry with my remark, so, other people cant have opinion if they dont like something? I was speaking for myself, I dont like it, if you do, great for you. I wanted to sell my Serum, but cant since I bought it 2nd, too bad, waste of money...
Actually I think it's the sweeping generalisation, claiming only vst cracking kiddies use and enjoy Serum, which has rustled a few feathers here. If you don't like the sound of Serum, that's fair enough, that is your opinion, but to say that it is unusable (you didn't specify that it was specifically unusable to you, so it's fair to assume that you meant it in the general sense) or that it's not widely used and appreciated by a wide range of music makers of different abilities, is patently false.

I appreciate that this is also an opinion that you are entitled to have, but there are such things as good opinions and bad opinions, if you post bad opinions on the Internet, people will respond to them appropriately.

Seeing as we're here to discuss Serum, I'll have my 2c and say that it's one of my favourite vst synths. It's very digital and can be quite harsh, but when you want to make nasty, digital sounds with lots of movement, quickly and easily, it's hard to beat it, in my opinion. If I want warmer/smoother sounds then I will turn to something else, that is better to suited to the task.
Always Read the Manual!

PieBerger wrote:
HcDoom wrote:You guys got pretty angry with my remark, [snip...]
Actually I think it's the sweeping generalisation, claiming only vst cracking kiddies use and enjoy Serum, which has rustled a few feathers here. If you don't like the sound of Serum, that's fair enough, that is your opinion, but to say that it is unusable (you didn't specify that it was specifically unusable to you, so it's fair to assume that you meant it in the general sense) or that it's not widely used and appreciated by a wide range of music makers of different abilities, is patently false.

I appreciate that this is also an opinion that you are entitled to have, but there are such things as good opinions and bad opinions, if you post bad opinions on the Internet, people will respond to them appropriately.

Seeing as we're here to discuss Serum, I'll have my 2c and say that it's one of my favourite vst synths. It's very digital and can be quite harsh, but when you want to make nasty, digital sounds with lots of movement, quickly and easily, it's hard to beat it, in my opinion. If I want warmer/smoother sounds then I will turn to something else, that is better to suited to the task.
+1

Letting us know that you dont like Serum doesnt offer ANY value. people can try the demo and decide for themselves. and listen to all the examples oit there where Serum was used. So you personal opinion at this point is pointless. I often find this rule of thumb useful and particularly appropriate to audio forums: If you dont have anything good to say dont say anything at all.

When Serum gets nice analog filters, that's the question? This is the only thing that keeps me away from this, otherwise nice synth.

Igro wrote:When Serum gets nice analog filters, that's the question? This is the only thing that keeps me away from this, otherwise nice synth.
Serum's not an analog synth emulation. It's not meant to be. People who get Serum like it because of how it already sounds. I think it's safe to assume that after all these years since release, analog filters are the last thing Serum will be getting.

Steve Duda has an absolute killer winning formula here and he'd be crazy to mess with it.

wagtunes wrote:
Igro wrote:When Serum gets nice analog filters, that's the question? This is the only thing that keeps me away from this, otherwise nice synth.
Serum's not an analog synth emulation. It's not meant to be. People who get Serum like it because of how it already sounds. I think it's safe to assume that after all these years since release, analog filters are the last thing Serum will be getting.

Steve Duda has an absolute killer winning formula here and he'd be crazy to mess with it.
Is it possible to mess Serum with analogue filters?

PieBerger wrote: Seeing as we're here to discuss Serum, I'll have my 2c and say that it's one of my favourite vst synths. It's very digital and can be quite harsh, but when you want to make nasty, digital sounds with lots of movement, quickly and easily, it's hard to beat it, in my opinion. If I want warmer/smoother sounds then I will turn to something else, that is better to suited to the task.
That's why Serum is not for me. I basically never make harsh nasty sounds...

I dug into the demo for a few months because so many people rave about it, and I did manage to make some sounds I like but it was a lot of work to overcome the basic tone which I don't like.

Igro wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

Any time you make changes to a synth you risk screwing things up. Now, if the majority of his customers (those who already bought the synth) said "Please give us analog filters" he night consider it if there was enough of a demand.

So write to him. Tell him what you want. Unless people do that, I'd bet a whole lot of money that at this stage, analog filter ain't gonna happen.

you don't have to make "harsh nasty sounds" with it.Try some work with the parser or import some softer analogue waveforms to work with.
http://www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for PHASEPLANT ACE,PREDATOR, SYNPLANT, SUB BOOM BASS2,PUNCH , PUNCH BD
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and V-Haus Card For Tiptop Audio ONE Module
https://soundcloud.com/somerville-1i

wagtunes wrote:
Igro wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

Any time you make changes to a synth you risk screwing things up. Now, if the majority of his customers (those who already bought the synth) said "Please give us analog filters" he night consider it if there was enough of a demand.

So write to him. Tell him what you want. Unless people do that, I'd bet a whole lot of money that at this stage, analog filter ain't gonna happen.
Maybe. But then it sounds like any synth made in 00's. Very dull. But still can satisfy the contemporary dull sounding high frequency overloaded music. With some synths i have to do minimal processing to sound it nice, with Serum i have to do a lot of work to not irritate my ears.

Igro wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Igro wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

Maybe. But then it sounds like any synth made in 00's. Very dull. But still can satisfy the contemporary dull sounding high frequency overloaded music. With some synths i have to do minimal processing to sound it nice, with Serum i have to do a lot of work to not irritate my ears.
Well, then Serum isn't for you. Plain and simple. I mean it's like a guy going into a piano store and saying "I would really like this Spinet to sound like a Steinway Grand." It's not happening. Buy the Steinway Grand or do without the piano.

I bought Serum because I like Serum. I didn't buy it because I wanted it to sound like something else. If you want it to sound like something else, buy something else.

Return to “Instruments”