Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Viper

Stefken wrote:
Roman Wisniak wrote:
Just read this article taking into account Virus comparision to modern vsti's:

https://synthmorph.com/blogs/news/acces ... synthmorph
The guy who wrote this is obviously a fanboy. And his statement that vst's are without character is not true. We have come a long way and while that may have been true at some point and is still true for some synths ( for me e.g. the avenger has no character); if you look at the market today there is a lot of character to go round in the vst world. PolyM, Repro, Xils3, Korg Odeyssey, DX7 V, Legend, Easel Buchla.. are all very different beasts.

But the point you're still missing for me: Spire, Icarus, Sylenth, Viper, .. are all very much in the ballpark of that Trance sound and the guy listening to his ipod won't know the difference or care about it.
I just approach making sounds a bit old-school way. I mean, I rarely jump on the "new synth" bandwagon for other than business consideration. For me Virus is a perfect fit for most of my music work, I know it inside-out to its last detail and that's enough for me.

In my view modulations are much more important to create new, interesting and organic sounds than sound generation attributes. As Virus is a complete instrument with full MIDI implementation (no need for MIDI learn as with most sw synths), it is multitimbral with program change capabilities, for me these alone provide a very instinctive and fast layer creation workflow. I am not saying it is not possible with soft synths, but requires much more manual preparation - creating midi learn setup, setting up multiple instances, and only a few supports program changes. Not to say, good sounding layers are prone to kill cpu. In Virus, it is all there out of the box and fits the best to my personal workflow.

Regarding the character - you can over emphasize hence make its character clear some instruments easier than others. Older Virus models have even worse audio quality than new line of VSTi's but the overall character, its living, dynamic, moving character together with its imperfections is still hard to match. The same is true e.g. for a Nord Lead 2 - no effects, lame factory presets, heavy aliasing everywhere - BUT try it with 2-3 presets layered, played monophonically and each morphed mildly at 13-15 parameters at once using its built-in modwheel morph - you'll have an super unique sound noone else has, because it is too clumsy to setup on that bad UI, hence nobody cares (a product showcasing this kind of method is in work...)

The point is, you can get exceptional results with nearly any instruments if you approach it thinking outside of the box or try to misuse it.

Avenger is on the other side - the most intuitive UI, totally flexible engine, top sound, and with its modifiers like effects and osc tools it can be totally unique... not mentioning the armada of synthesis methods, etc, it is hard to find any limitation there actually, that makes it a bit hard to use sometimes, can be overwhelming, unless this is your only synth.

You can turn to different synths for different characters or just learn how to get the character out of one or two synths. I prefer the latter, but this is just for me.

Is there a 64-bit version yet? It's been 2 years and I'd love to give this a go. I don't do 32-bit plugs, though.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Two years? The plugin has been out for less than a month haha

Shiek927 wrote:Two years? The plugin has been out for less than a month haha
My bad. Thought it came out in 2016 haha

Ugh.. well if it just came out less than a month ago, why the hell is it only 32-bit in frigg'n 2018??!!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight wrote:

Ugh.. well if it just came out less than a month ago, why the hell is it only 32-bit in frigg'n 2018??!!
Because it's made with Flowstone, which as of now is only 32 bit.

That's why.

EnochLight wrote:My bad. Thought it came out in 2016 haha
2016 was start of the development.

EnochLight wrote:

A month ago it was 2017. :)
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

flowstone will go 64 bit soon.

EnochLight wrote:

Lol you clearly haven’t read much of this thread. Were you confusing Viper for another synth that came out earlier? There’s been a lot of very similar synths released.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Lol you clearly haven’t read much of this thread.
Lol correct - at 70 pages, there's no way I'd even start. ;)
v1o wrote: Were you confusing Viper for another synth that came out earlier? There’s been a lot of very similar synths released.
No, I just looked at the first post that was made in this thread and it was dated 2 years ago. Didn't realize the dev just updated that post when it was released last month.

Anyway, looking forward to the 64-bit version to try out.

yobare wrote:flowstone will go 64 bit soon.
This is very good news. I hope Adam is as enthusiastic to get the 64 bit version out on the back of this news. Whilst I am aware that coining it in was not the synth projects main goal I suspect that will be a nice big chunk of money coming his way for his 64 bit efforts.

Good for everyone. :tu:

tripleflows wrote:
You can turn to different synths for different characters or just learn how to get the character out of one or two synths. I prefer the latter, but this is just for me.
I'm not just talking about making interesting sounds but also about flavors. I doubt you could do that with just a few synths.

The fat flavor of the minimoog is very different from the bright character of the Dx7.
The sound and especially handling of a Buchla will yield very different results than a classic subtractive synths.
The sound of the Xils synths where you hear the virtual electricity flowing through the electronics is very different from a pure digital synth. I'm not talking about complexity or layers here. A simple sound from the PolyM will give you a flavor that is very hard to replicate with just any synth.

Goddammit i want Viper reverb as a standalone effect...

goddamit

Stefken wrote:
tripleflows wrote:
I'm not just talking about making interesting sounds but also about flavors. I doubt you could do that with just a few synths.

The fat flavor of the minimoog is very different from the bright character of the Dx7.
The sound and especially handling of a Buchla will yield very different results than a classic subtractive synths.
The sound of the Xils synths where you hear the virtual electricity flowing through the electronics is very different from a pure digital synth. I'm not talking about complexity or layers here. A simple sound from the PolyM will give you a flavor that is very hard to replicate with just any synth.
Exactly. I'd like to hear somebody try to get a Minimoog sound like a Polymoog.

That would be some neat trick if they could pull it off.

And neither can sound like a PPG Wave 2.3

And none of them can sound like Serum.

And on and on.

kmonkey wrote:Goddammit i want Viper reverb as a standalone effect...

goddamit
+1. Delay too. Please, Adam?

Return to “Instruments”