Cheap vs Expensive Headphones

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

SAMSON SR850 + SAMSON SR950
cost around 28-29 euro each from Thomann - i didn't see anything that is good enough and worth 200 euro as mixing mastering monitor headphones,but these two was highly recommended www so i thought
'Why not' - even if sucks,not big deal.
Received,So...
SAMSONS are nothing special in my opinion but better than Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO as monitors.
- SR850 is semiopen,not really flat with pumped low end but nice to listen or work with everything
- SR950 seems more correct but closedback,dull and somehow boring ,both have nice treble ,
sound is nice but not great,details are ok without to be amazing
so will use them untill find that need something better.
Also ear cups could b little bit bigger - i have small ears and still there is some pressure on them cuz both are not around ears entirely but press edges of the ear.
In another topic was discussed Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO which i had last year for 139 euro and send back after few days painful trying to justify the money and impossibility to be used as monitors with terrible wrong artificial high end,despite DT990 are super comfortable v shape good to listen favorite tv shows so please don't even discuss it,cuz my old Sony MDR-XD200 is better monitor.
This review is based on my subjective opinion and don't require agreement :)
Conclusion :
Rely on world proven models like Sennheiser HD600 or better,DON'T MAKE COMPROMISE - my problem is that there is not options to hear what i buy so must rely on internet reviews.
If you have any suggestion for good headphones or experience with cheap vs expensive please share it.
Last edited by VELLTONE MUSIC on Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I don't have any idea about "good" headphones, but... i bought these years ago: https://www.thomann.de/de/superlux_hd66 ... 1e38d4e5b8 and i find them absolutely superb. Not only for playing around with synths, but, also for listening to music, and gaming. They might be less clinical than other headphones (again, can't really judge that, just going from stomach feeling), and a bit more hi-fi, but, they're dissolved so precisely, and don't mush up anything, that i have a hard time believing that there's anything 100% better. Maybe 10 %. ;) So, ya, price is not always a measurement. But, i read that Superlux also produce for more "high end" companies, so, might be a hint that they know what they're doing. I absolutely love these 'phones, and would buy and recommend them again for sure.

Thanks for reply - by the way i did consider to take SR850 and 668b - probably will include it in next order from Thomann - open headphones are definatelly better than closed-back when is needed monitor.
Years ago i had chance to compare whole spectrum of cheap and more expencive(under 100 euro) regular headphones from popular brands like Philips,Sony so on and since then i like Sony MDR seria ,had few and will buy again - recomended for everyone who need ordinary,cheap but really good everyday headphones.

Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pros. Love them. Less than €140 at Thomann.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I used to be a big fan of the Samsons - great value for money, but the quality dropped off a cliff a couple of years ago, the last set I bought were horribly flimsy and uncomfortable.

I switched over to Audio Technica and haven't looked back.

This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

My pick from the Superlux lineup, the slightly more recent https://www.thomann.de/de/superlux_hd_6 ... o_297902_1

Better than the initial edition (not as harsh), they really are surprisingly good for the price. Out of the Superlux lineup, I have used the original 681, 681 F, 668 B, 662 Evo and ^ these ones. These and the 668 B (that chk071 linked) are in regular gaming (etc) use over here :), and they are both very nice for that. Played through Fallout 4 on the 668 B during the holidays, heh. These double as backup / a/b headphones for audio/music duties as well.

My all-time fave is my trusty pair of Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pros. If I had to pick just one pair, they would be it. When doing actual audio work and using headphones, I prefer having both them and Audiotechnica ATH-M50 handy, though. They complement each other very well, giving a nice a/b opportunity even when it's "headphones only" time.

But yeah, the 681 Evos... When I started out, there literally wasn't anything like that available. I mean, buying headphones that cost something like bulk whatever-nameless-brand supermarket headphones, and getting that sort of sound quality. For anyone starting out, especially if just testing the waters so to speak, the Evos are a great budget choice, while you can concentrate more on other aspects of the setup and your technique.

Guenon wrote:My pick from the Superlux lineup, the slightly more recent https://www.thomann.de/de/superlux_hd_6 ... o_297902_1
Might pick up a pair of those, just in case the 668 B's will break at some point. :) Actually, the plastic ring on top already has some "bruises" so to say (or let's rather say, it broke at some points, the metal ring inside is still intact though, so, no problem), it's the only thing on them which really shows the price, not the best quality. Anything else is really good, especially as they're only 30 €.

Oh, and i played through Fallout 4 with the 688 B's too, lol. :D 355 games hours on the clock in the end.

And oh, the Samson SR850 is equivalent of an older model of Superlux 681 headphones. They are the exact same headphones, with some cosmetic modifications to the frame.

See the measurement graph of both:

https://www.kopfhoerer.de/test/samson-sr850/
https://www.kopfhoerer.de/test/superlux-hd681b/

Okay, not IDENTICAL results because of those design differences :), the Superlux one seems to be more neutral overall, but you get the idea. The same manufacturer and essentially the same stuff.
Last edited by Guenon on Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

chk071 wrote:Oh, and i played through Fallout 4 with the 688 B's too, lol. :D 355 games hours on the clock in the end.
Hah! That's great.

I rushed it in something like 104 hours though ;) ... I'll perhaps return to the wasteland at some point for all that I missed, but I think the next time the 688 Bs see a gaming spree over here (when ever that might be) ... it will have to be Skyrim Special Edition.

Thanks for ideas :)Years ago i did visit of MUSIC STORE in Köln and was amazed how many options have people in Germany when buy music instrument...here the reality is 2x2 m2 shops with not very much of choice ... whatever thanks to internet :)
SAMSON sr950 seems very neutral by d way - not increadible but good monitor,mixes are better when use it.Cheerz :)

Bought a new headband cushion for my old Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's recently (after 7 years or so the old cushion was literally falling apart), now they look like new again, and they still sound as good as ever.
And should they ever break, I will get the same model again, they have optimized it several times over the years, the latest version has an improved headband for instance.

100 bucks is neither cheap nor expensive in my view.
They are among the most widely used studio headphones, if not THE most widely used ones. Otherwise Sennheiser would probably have long ceased to make and sell them :hihi:

i am very interested of Sennheiser HD-600 cost 325 EU - i could have it by now if doesn't spend for cheap stuff ...not sure is it worth it but everybody ww say they are golden standard ...

I own the Samson 850 (open air) phones and love them. They are equivalent to the Superlux 681 I believe.

Only upgrade I've made is velvet ear pads.

The best cheap closed air phones I've found are Monoprice 8323 but I use them for DJ applications.

I have to admit that the more i work with SR850 the more start to appreciate it - it's surprisingly good for mixing and sound design ... ...that 50 mm driver is a wonder,had to play a few different projects to see the goodies :)

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”