Ribs

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sinkmusic wrote:Wow, this new skin looks very good :)
Thanks! I also think so. But my favorive spectral strip on top of the GUI had to turn into a small two-digit numer on the left :cry:

can't wait. Meanwhile, if there is ever an archaeology of ribs versions, this is the piece I made testing out 1.0. https://soundcloud.com/richrath/ribs
my experimental improv duo, rreplay.
more of my music
occasional experimental sound blog all things vst, guitar synth, and more.
The Digital Guitarist.

rcrath wrote:can't wait. Meanwhile, if there is ever an archaeology of ribs versions, this is the piece I made testing out 1.0. https://soundcloud.com/richrath/ribs
Cool, thanks for sharing! I like the atmosphere in it a lot :)

Great work! Really looking forward to the new release :love:

Ribs is an amazing granular resampler!
Beautiful GUI that belies the manifold states of behaviour. i have no idea why this plugin is tucked away, almost hidden, on the internet.
A far worthier entry than others in often collated 'best free plugins'.
1eqinfinity wrote:… my favorive spectral strip on top of the GUI had to turn into a small two-digit numer on the left :cry:
:cry:

@levendis thank you very much!
Well, Ribs is very geeky. After discussing it with other sound designers, I understood, that its geekiness is over 9000. And not all hosts allow to use it, btw.
Also, I spent almost no resources of any sort on any kinds of messages on social media.
The 1st point is becoming less of an issue in the upcoming version with its FX mode.
The 2nd is kind of my weak spot. From time to time I do cool stuff but I don't go around plugging it everywhere. I should become more annoying person :)

By the way, here's v1.2.1 beta while I'm polishing things up:
https://yadi.sk/d/061hnwjv3Riowj
Main new features:
- FX mode (button on the top-left). Enable voices by clicking on the tabs.
- envelope refill mode (refills on fast input changes, new params will appear to the right of the refill mode)
- even gaps distribution option (was only random before. all gaps params are to the left of the tabs now)
- formant filter. funny to play with.

It is stable, but has a couple of things that will be improved.
Standalone versions will most likely keep beta status for now due to a number of audio device setup issues.

1eqinfinity wrote:… here's v1.2.1 beta
Thanks!
The plugin state written with previous versions doesn't transfer over, in the case of Zynewave Podium at least.

One thing that puzzles me relates to monophonic mode. Why are use for <note> flags ignored? It would be more convenient to request picked buffers with MIDI note in, as another option over MIDI cc, automation, or mouse-click. Using those flags could determine which buffer triggers with which note. This already occurs in polyphonic mode but that has parallel voicing.

levendis wrote:The plugin state written with previous versions doesn't transfer over, in the case of Zynewave Podium at least.
That's bad. Could you make a backup of your old project file with the old state and tell me which plugin file you use (Win/Mac 32/64)? By the backup I mean that I'll try to fix that and you could check if the state is restored as it should.
One thing that puzzles me relates to monophonic mode. Why are use for <note> flags ignored? It would be more convenient to request picked buffers with MIDI note in, as another option over MIDI cc, automation, or mouse-click. Using those flags could determine which buffer triggers with which note. This already occurs in polyphonic mode but that has parallel voicing.
Hmm.. You can try POLY mode and portamento CC, this should give you the behavior you want, if I understood you right.

@levendis also, if you used it, did v 1.2.0 beta restore the state right?

Hi 1eqininity,
1eqinfinity wrote:Could you make a backup of your old project file with the old state and tell me which plugin file you use (Win/Mac 32/64)? By the backup I mean that I'll try to fix that and you could check if the state is restored as it should.
Arg! i'd revisited the projects after replacing Ribs to v1.2.1.
i don't recall the differences, but noticed the init preset was instantiated, as opposed to the customised plugin state.
i think it was the multi-input setting that is least persistent between versions.
Don't sweat over it, as it's fun to build a new preset, and i've hardly had enough time with Ribs to create anything that's mission critical. i'm operating on Win10, 64bit.
levendis wrote:One thing that puzzles me relates to monophonic mode.
1eqinfinity wrote:Hmm.. You can try POLY mode and portamento CC, this should give you the behavior you want, if I understood you right.
i'll give that a try. What i envisaged was being able to have different selection ranges, in different buffers, and monophonically gliding between them. The same as if L-clicking tabs to request picked buffers, but with MIDI notes.
1eqinfinity wrote:… also, if you used it, did v 1.2.0 beta restore the state right?
Yes, replacing the Ribs_64.dll v.1.1.0 with v.1.2.0 was seamless.

levendis wrote:replacing the Ribs_64.dll v.1.1.0 with v.1.2.0 was seamless.
Thanks!
Arg! i'd revisited the projects after replacing Ribs to v1.2.1.
No worries, the fact that 1.2.0 did everything correctly is already a lot of info. I've also found some old projects to test with. Interestingly, states from v1.2.0 restored fine in Reaper when I was testing.
What i envisaged was being able to have different selection ranges, in different buffers, and monophonically gliding between them.
I thought about that some time ago. It is doable, but requires some developments. I can't promise to add it now, but I'l think about it more.

levendis wrote:The plugin state written with previous versions doesn't transfer over, in the case of Zynewave Podium at least.
1eqinfinity wrote:That's bad. Could you make a backup of your old project file with the old state…
Here's my best effort to convey preset incompatibility between Ribs_64 version 1.2.1 and its predecessors.

Attached is a zip file containing 4 *.fxp files:
Presets across versions.zip
There are two pairs of presets. Each pair constituted by exports from different versions of Ribs.
The filenames make explicit which version of Ribs was used when the fxp presets were exported. Exporting to fxp was done with exactly the same projects. There was no adjusting of the plugin parameters.
If you're able to replicate the behaviour i'm experiencing, then you'll notice that the plugin state created in v.1.2.0 didn't transfer to v.1.2.1.
Manually loading the fxp, exported from v.1.2.0, into v.1.2.1 isn't a workaround; in case it was host related.

My apologies if my wording comes across confusing. i struggle to communicate complicated scenarios like this. Thanks for your time, and again, this has been of no inconvenience.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

@levendris thank you very much, everything is clear and detailed :)

1eqinfinity wrote:By the way, here's v1.2.1 beta while I'm polishing things up:
https://yadi.sk/d/061hnwjv3Riowj
Main new features:
- FX mode (button on the top-left). Enable voices by clicking on the tabs.
- envelope refill mode (refills on fast input changes, new params will appear to the right of the refill mode)
- even gaps distribution option (was only random before. all gaps params are to the left of the tabs now)
- formant filter. funny to play with.

It is stable, but has a couple of things that will be improved.
Standalone versions will most likely keep beta status for now due to a number of audio device setup issues.
Thank you very much.

I am using Cubase on a PC. Is there still something to be aware of when installing and uninstalling your VST regarding the delete all folder bug?

Thank you and all the best wishes.

Return to “Instruments”