An "old man" trying to vocode...

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dear All,
greetings from Italy - first time here, please excuse both my suboptimal English and my deep ignorance. Last time I tried to make music with a computer it was 1990, and I used a Voyetra sequencer under DOS...
Now nearing 59 years of age, after 25+ years I am trying to understand whether or not I can set up sort of a vocoder for free, using only freeware modules.
I read all that I could, and it seemed to me that the quickest way was using the simplest VST plugin available for MULab (I had to learn very quickly and very superficially some MULab fundamental too).
I'm very clumsy and uncertain if my moves, and I'm very far from obtaining my objective.

In a few words, I would like to:
1) Record beforehand an audio track in which I talk or sort-of-sing (in the attached illustration it's in "Rack 3") - only the right channel is kept because the left is reserved for the carrier generated by "MDA vocinput". This existing audio track would be the raw material that I would like to vocode.
2) Activate the VST effects "MDA vocoder" and its accompanying "MDA vocinput"
3) Use the virtual midi keyboard and the basic synth (in one of its cleanest possible settings) to generate a different carrier frequency depending on the midi key pressed (I use the F-keys of the computer keyboard)
4) Feed the carrier in the "MDA vocinput" setting the "tracking" knob to FREE or QUANT so that (I believe...) it will be the input from the synth to determine the carrier frequency
5) Feed both the audio track in "rack 3" and the carrier form "MDA Vocinput" into "MDA Vocoder"
6) Get my voice vocoded according to the MIDI keys I press when I play the audio

Something in fact happens, in the general direction that I supposed, yet it's all very unpredictable.

Just to say one, with my voice muted I would expect that the 12 function keys (that in fact generate 12 successive tones for as many successive white keyboards) would generate a carrier in their respective frequencies. If I output "MDA Vocoder" to the master output, i don't get anything similar to a clean carrier, as its frequency seem more or less random (e.g. C4 get an higher pitch then A5).
Another thing that escapes me is that my "original voice" - the audio in Rack 3 - remains more or less clearly audible and is not completely obliterated by its vocoded version.

It's obvious that I'm missing something fundamental: I hope that from the attached illustration you can help me with some general hint without wasting too much time.

Hints may include an even simpler (yet free...) vocoder or relevant links to tutorials.

Many thanks for you attention, warm regards and all the best to everybody.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I would also post that in the Mutools forum, there are several experts there that might be able to help you:
viewforum.php?f=79

There is a Vocoder that was made in Mulab by AndreasD that is free and should do what you want. It can be found here
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... TFmbjZIOWs

If you want any more info just ask on the Mutools Forum like Fluffy said. :wink:
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

Thank you to both you helpful people, fluffy_little_something and bibz1st! I'll do what you suggest.

@bibz1st - I feel very ashamed but now that I downloaded the .mux files by AndreasD I don't now how to install them. If I add the plugins by using Mulab (by the feature that I used to install the other plugins) when I search the folder where they were downoaded nothing is found to install. Again thank you for the help.

You can just drag and drop them onto the modular area or other valid drop targets.

pljones wrote:You can just drag and drop them onto the modular area or other valid drop targets.
Yes MuLab is cool that way: just drop MUX files, samples etc around and they usually do good. For example you can drag drum samples to the MuDrum pads!
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”