2CAudio Breeze | 2.5 | Simple. Light. Pristine. Intelligently Adaptive.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Breeze

Andrew Souter wrote:Yes, I need to explain this, and of course it will be explained in detail in the manual, but a quick short version:

The mix/balance label is actually a switch between two different mix modes:

1) When the label shows "MIX", the numerical mix value simply shows a mix between the completely dry signal and Breeze's normal wet output. This is the standard setting, and this can be used on sends or inserts.

2) When the label shows "Balance" this is a "special feature mode", where we apply spatialization to the DRY signal. This spatialization is typically subtle, and happens instantly. You can think of it as early reflections in some way, but for reasonable sizes it will happen so quickly that you will not be able perceive any "Reflections" per say. It is therefore better to think of it as "instant early energy" or "Ambience", or simply instant spatial impression if you want to be technical. The numerical value then becomes the balance control between this instant invisible ambience, and the normal wet signal which can then be considered more as late energy.

This works best with the Chamber modes, but it can also work well with Hall modes if Size is kept at moderate values, as well as Plate at small values. It can be used with Colored modes for special FX, but it is not transparent in this case. I can be abused for various special FX also as I am sure some people will figure out.

You should consider it a special features, and should not use it in every case. Check the presets I made in the Simply Better expansion. I think maybe 25% to 40% or so use it.

It is best used when using Breeze on an insert instead of a send. Since breeze is so efficient now this is a highly recommend way to use Breeze: directly on tracks, and save the sends for Aether or B2.

Perceptually the effect of using this will be that it will instantly recess the source sound back into the mix a little bit, so that lead instruments and vocals don't feel like they are floating in front of the mix or are detached from the imaginary sound stage. You can then use less tail to achieve a similar same sense of space, thus keeping the mix cleaner.

It can be used with low numerical values on lead vocals for example to give them an instant sense of space and width while keeping them sounding almost completely dry, without resorting to obvious chorus effects or other tricks.

It's great to spatialize mono sources also. You can think of it as a way to position sources on the virtual stage, or to randomize the position of stereo mics in the space. Try loading multiple instances of the same preset and apply them to different tracks. The result will have an incredible sense of realism where each source will have its own space even without panning, but with a unified tail gluing them into the same space. Try the randomize button to get different variations.

It's semi experimental still as we just added it earlier this week, but it can add some definite magic in the right circumstances.

The obvious request is: why not allow control over three way mix of dry, this early ambience, and tail like in Aether. The answer is simply bc we do not want to overcomplicate things in Breeze. This is enough for Breeze. A lot of novel things can be done with it as-is.

Hope it helps. Im out now for the night. :tu:
That certainly does help, Andrew - thank you for taking the time to explain it. No problem though to put a second instance of Breeze in series to take care of the tail. I like it when plug-ins aren't too complicated - so with you on that..
I'm really enjoying getting to know Breeze 2. There certainly is quite a bit of magic in this reverb - excellent work! :-)

Andrew Souter wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:When will the glitch fix be up?
Now. :D done. Give it a try. Redownload, re-install. :tu:
Done - still getting glitches. Worst of all in Logic (see movie) where I get 2 kinds:

1) whole gui flickering which increases when moved (see towards end) and occasionally gets very fast and annoying, almost strobe-like - this happens inside Logic and in other hosts (inc VST2) and doesn't correlate with playing notes. (annoyingly the flickering stopped when I was filming the screenie so I had to move it to provoke it - normally it does that even when not moved, I used Quicktime to film it, maybe that's a clue to what's causing it?)

2) bits of the host gui underneath coming through - this seems more of a Logic issue and to occur mostly when playing notes - as the video demonstrates.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kohktrn8773g5 ... h.m4v?dl=0

@aMUSEd:
I can't recreate that with the latest build, also running Logic (on high sierra). Did you remove it completely before reinstalling it?

Nope - on El Cap though

try completely removing it.
- go in finder, search, Breeze2, click on the little (+).
- a new window opens, search for "system", check "include system files"
- go back, select "system files", do "include"

Remove all related to Breeze2, install again from latest build, report.
(sometimes this actually helps)

The GUI is still misbehaving a bit.
It often has silver tinsel round its edges and the screen flickers with a vertical black line that seems to be synced to Logic's SPL..
Performance, sound etc is great though - no problems there.

timyork wrote: That certainly does help, Andrew - thank you for taking the time to explain it. No problem though to put a second instance of Breeze in series to take care of the tail. I like it when plug-ins aren't too complicated - so with you on that..
I'm really enjoying getting to know Breeze 2. There certainly is quite a bit of magic in this reverb - excellent work! :-)
I don't mean to run two instances in series. I mean a single instance will mix between "instant ambience" and the full late tail, when using the "Balance" mode. Technically it is always now 100% wet, in that there is no longer any exactly dry signal, but the "instant ambience" is generally so transparent that the only effect is that it will recess the sound back a little into the mix (slightly)... especially with the Chamber modes. (as long as you don't use this with huge sizes).

You could technically even use this mode on a send and use intentionally large/huge sizes, then this you could even consider this "instant ambience" more like traditional ERs, and since it is on a send you would still be getting some perfectly dry signal from the from the track itself. This scheme could work reasonably well with the Hall Modes for example.
Last edited by Andrew Souter on Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

re GUI flickering on OSX, ok, we will explore more... but there is definite major improvement compared to the previous build whcih would simlpy drawn some things completely incorrectly. Flickering etc, is comparatively minor. But of course we will investigate, thanks. :tu:

ps, sorry Jaguars, nice work Patriots. :party:

Go Eagles! :tu: :tu:

(and speaking of sports, nice work Cormier and Miocic.... these guys are total beasts... :o (UFC 220) sometimes during development we feel like we have to battle these kinds of guys in the form of bugs. Thankfully the don't punch us in the face though. :wink: )
Last edited by Andrew Souter on Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

that ambience thing is pretty neat.

Andrew Souter wrote:
timyork wrote: That certainly does help, Andrew - thank you for taking the time to explain it. No problem though to put a second instance of Breeze in series to take care of the tail. I like it when plug-ins aren't too complicated - so with you on that..
I don't mean to run two instances in series. I mean a single instance will mix between "instant ambience" and the full late tail, when using the "Balance" mode. Technically it is always now 100% wet, in that there is no longer any exactly dry signal, but the "instant ambience" is generally so transparent that the only effect is that it will recess the sound back a little into the mix (slightly)... especially with the Chamber modes. (as long as you don't use this with huge sizes).

You could technically even use this mode on a send and use intentionally large/huge sizes, then this you could even consider this "instant ambience" more like traditional ERs, and since it is on a send you would still be getting some perfectly dry signal from the from the track itself. This scheme could work reasonably well with the Hall Modes for example.
Well I was more using a second instance in slot 2 to provide some traditional reverb when the balance in slot 1 is set to 0 or Amb (as special FX), but I get what you're saying too..
As you mentioned before patches like the Drum Chamber presets in the Simply Better expansion use balance mode - I've been trying some of these and they sound really nice on percussion with balance set to around 5-7 (and the default EQ curves in those settings are cool for shaping the sound).

Andrew Souter wrote:Please be sure to download 2.0.2 that was posted yesterday. It has this command added back in.

Note these GUI artifacts are on OSX only. These issues are our next focus task.
[/quote]

Latest build is working fine for me - except for the preset order thing. Haven't seen any more graphic glitches.

I decided not to install both Breeze and Breeze2 on my machine since I never used Breeze before, and having both just complicated things. Glad to hear it's now working for Ploki though.

Sounds fantastic and looking forward to Simon's presets!

B
Last edited by bradkvr on Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ploki wrote:that ambience thing is pretty neat.
I agree!

timyork wrote:
Ploki wrote:that ambience thing is pretty neat.
I agree!
Agreed as well! It provides a sense of space that can be quiet realistic but without an obvious early relfections or attempt to create debth with late reflections. sweet.

Return to “Effects”