Is the novation launchkey 25 worth getting?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is the novation launchkey 25 worth getting? I've been thinking about buying it, but am unsure if I really need it. Some of the features have made me want it such as the rgb pads and having 16 of them as well as the compact size being a convenience. I have an axiom 49 midi keyboard, but having a smaller would be nice. It's just that I probably don't need it.

I've also been interested in the free software included such as ableton live lite and some vsts. But I have Komplete 11 and sonar x3 studio, so I don't necessarily need the free software.

What do you guys think?

I've never understood the point of 25 key keyboards, if you want a controller, buy a controller without keys. Or simply buy a proper controller keyboard/synth with 61 keys as a minimum. 48 key keyboards have always been restrictive in not really allowing people to be as expressive as they would otherwise be with their music with that limiting factor.

Anyone else learning to play a keyboard, shouldn't settle for anything less than 61 keys (full size keys if your hands are big enough) imo experience also.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

THE INTRANCER wrote:I've never understood the point of 25 key keyboards, if you want a controller, buy a controller without keys. Or simply buy a proper controller keyboard/synth with 61 keys as a minimum. 48 key keyboards have always been restrictive in not really allowing people to be as expressive as they would otherwise be with their music with that limiting factor.

Anyone else learning to play a keyboard, shouldn't settle for anything less than 61 keys imo experience also.

I think there's a convenience factor to having a smaller keyboard to work with for me.

I have a 61 key m-audio keystation too.

I have a Korg M1.

But I often use Launchkey 25. Easy, comfortable keyboard for electronic sketches.

If you are a guitarists and not natively comfortable with a keybed than I would suggest a Launchpad Pro instead.

3.5 octaves as opposed to two with a layout that is easier to recognize work around.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

No, too many folks have same problems with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjJYKH8WR8Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJHCz34rCNk

Look at Nektar Impact LX25+ instead, really great DAW integration, here's nice review of bigger one

http://www.nektartech.com/impact-lx25-plus.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICNDR7JcOVM
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

3ptguitarist wrote:
THE INTRANCER wrote:I've never understood the point of 25 key keyboards, if you want a controller, buy a controller without keys. Or simply buy a proper controller keyboard/synth with 61 keys as a minimum. 48 key keyboards have always been restrictive in not really allowing people to be as expressive as they would otherwise be with their music with that limiting factor.

Anyone else learning to play a keyboard, shouldn't settle for anything less than 61 keys imo experience also.

I think there's a convenience factor to having a smaller keyboard to work with for me.
Indeed. Not everyone has room for a full 61, or 88 keys keyboard. For me, 49 keys is the maximum possible. I wouldn't go again for 25 keys either now though (i used to have a 25 key keyboard as my first MIDI keyboard). But, if you have very small space, a 25 key keyboard might be the only possibility.

This is as close to a 25 key midi keyboard that I have which bought way back 2003. It's 4cm deep, 23.5cm in height and 10.5cm in breadth, but it's much more than just a controller, rather more of a portable daw / module synthesizer. The musical keypads were just a bonus. :D

KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm thinking about not buying one anyway as I don't really need it and have two other keyboards even though they're bigger (49 and 61 keys).

3ptguitarist wrote:Thanks for the advice guys. I'm thinking about not buying one anyway as I don't really need it and have two other keyboards even though they're bigger (49 and 61 keys).
Maybe add something like this, doesn't have pads tho.

http://www.akaipro.com/products/ableton ... rs/midimix

This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Is the MIDIMix good? I thought one or two times about getting one, but, the knobs look very cheap-ish, so, i'm a bit concerned about the quality.

3ptguitarist wrote:Thanks for the advice guys. I'm thinking about not buying one anyway as I don't really need it and have two other keyboards even though they're bigger (49 and 61 keys).
I love my ReMote 25SL ... If I had to replace it, I think I'd go for the Mk2 version. It fits nicely on my desk, alongside PUSH2. The integration with Live is excellent. Mines more than 10 years old now, but still going strong.

chk071 wrote:Is the MIDIMix good? I thought one or two times about getting one, but, the knobs look very cheap-ish, so, i'm a bit concerned about the quality.
Some folks doesn't seem happy with them, never touched one, been intrigued with it too.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... dimix.html

Funny that they all talk about replacing the knobs. :) Anyway, on the positive side, it is really inexpensive. For the comparable Novation Launchcontrol XL, you pay about 40 € more. It looks better though.

3ptguitarist wrote:...

I have a 61 key m-audio keystation too.
Is it the old keystation? I always loved mine, but it died on me. When I tried out the version II in Guitar Center, it felt spongy by comparison, so I'm still looking for a similar keybed for my replacement. (Nektar lx61+?)

Back to the topic, though. I've found my Axiom 25 to be invaluable. I'm a keyboard player (not a great keyboard player, mind you), so even if it's primarily for triggering stuff, the feel of the keys matters to me; so, bearing that in mind, I just don't enjoy the keys on the Launchkey.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”