Reverbs!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yeah everyone on the internet especially kvr is a professional... :lol: :lol: :lol:

oh dreamvoid removed one of his posts.

Dreamvoid if you're still following this thread, I wasn't sarcastic when i said to render a few files 100% wet with both REVerence and SREV1...

Finally I had the chance to demo most of the plugins. My feelings:

Most of the reverbs I tried sounded "sandy" when they had long tails and I didn't like that. In some plugins this "sand" even sounded a bit digital to me (EDIT: in breeze2, when I used it on a techno beat). I really don't know much about the technical side of reverbs but I was left with the impression that a convolution reverb without eq would never get rid of this "sand"...

EDIT: no disrespect for breeze2, a very elaborate plugin with a distinct sound.

The ones I liked the most were:

* Seventh Heaven (this is where I liked the most the tails, sandy but in a "smoother" "organic" way)
* Waves H-Reverb (I couldn't test it because Waves Central was hanging but I liked the sound of several video demos...)
* B2 (didn't like it as much as Seventh Heaven but sounded quite special...)
* Some presets of the Vallhallas also interested me but I need to test them a bit more...

EDIT: I made this selection by simply trying different presets on every plugin with a techno loop with drums and synths playing in the input....

EDIT: Eos slowed the UI of every other plugin when its UI was on (I was running it though in a Windows 7 box when they say that they only support Windows 8 and greater...), *I greatly missed a "gain" knob* (to compensate to the variation of gain between different reverbs) and it had a very small collection of factory presets: only 23.

EDIT2: I also miss the gain knob in the Vallhallas!

Reverberate2 also disappointed me: I didn't like the sound of most presets even if the plugin seemed to have a lot of options to shape the sound of an IR (do you recommend some presets other than the factory ones?).
Last edited by drwx on Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:02 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Huh, Seventh Heaven seems to be an IR reverb at heart.
Which is wierd, since Bricasti M7 is an algorithmic reverb. I mean... Why not partner with Bricasti and make a legitimate plugin version which is algorithmic?

IMO the best B2 presets are by Simon Stockhausen - I found so many gems there. Regarding stock presets, ambiences are very lively.

IF you still haven't found what you're looking for, you can also try TSAR-1 by Softube. I generally like Softube but they're expensive.

If "sandiness" is what i think it is, try EQing your source before it goes into reverb, and slightly roll-off highs, and/or compress transients.

I remember when good VST reverbs just didn't exist. Now, ya darn kids are just spoiled for options. Right now, some of my favorites are (in no particular order other than alphabetical):

Exponential Audio R2
Exponential Audio Nimbus
Relab VSR-S24
Relab LX-480
Slate Reverb Classics (made by Liquidsonics)
Valhalla VintageVerb
Valhalla Plate
Waves Abbey Road Plates

And when I need more springy or effect type reverbs, stuff like Aegean Spirit Reverb, Audio Thing Outer Space (for the RE-201 spring), and Valhalla Shimmer when you want those Blackhole type reverbs and pitched out ambient washes.

And I haven't even used a lot of the other stuff in this thread, so it just goes to show many fantastic options there are these days.

I'll definitely check your favs old wise Funkybot! :) Sounds like an interesting list and I haven't tried yet some of them.

and thanks for your feedback again too Ploki.
Ploki wrote: IF you still haven't found what you're looking for, you can also try TSAR-1 by Softube. I generally like Softube but they're expensive.
I'll add it to the list but my heart didn't fall for it...
Ploki wrote: If "sandiness" is what i think it is, try EQing your source before it goes into reverb, and slightly roll-off highs, and/or compress transients.
How would you "compress transients"? Are you thinking about a particular tool?

I think that I'm expecting the reverb box to take care of this kind of stuff. I'm a bit spoiled... When I mix, I like to drop different presets quickly to compare different sounds and I don't like having to build processor chains every time if it's not stricly necessary...

I consider all of the Valhalla 'verbs as a comprehensive reverb/modulation suite.

Hell, even just Valhalla Vintage, Room, and uberMod can cover A LOT of territory between gritty, "character" verbs to super clean rooms, delays, and modulation. (These are the three I use the most.)

Then combine them all into Blue Cat Late Replies at will. :D :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkbx0v9Y9lU&t=82s

For my uses, these cover the entirety of my needs for reverb and modulation effects. And I'm still discovering new capabilities and sounds every time I decide to dig deeply into any of them. I also own Audiothing's Fog Convolver, but haven't gotten around to experimenting much with it yet.

drwx wrote: If "sandiness" is what i think it is, try EQing your source before it goes into reverb, and slightly roll-off highs, and/or compress transients.
How would you "compress transients"? Are you thinking about a particular tool?

I think that I'm expecting the reverb box to take care of this kind of stuff. I'm a bit spoiled... When I mix, I like to drop different presets quickly to compare different sounds and I don't like having to build processor chains every time if it's not stricly necessary...[/quote]
Well...
Compressor. :D or transient designer.
This is imo not something related to reverb, i usually do that regardless when i process something with reverb/delay (and regardless whether its convo or algorithmic). Things that are harsh (a lot of high frequency contentand/or a lot of transients) tend to make delays/reverbs grainy, smoothing this out pre-send can make it sound much better.

Vocals if they're very compressed/saturated also sound harsh through reverb. I never send processed vocals through reverb, i always process them a little differently. (if you eq them differently the phase de-corellation can actually in some cases be beneficial)

When CPU is a concern you should definitely check our UVI Sparkverb. Great sound with nearly no CPU use.

Breeze 2 has a digital sounding sandy tail...?

it's no wonder dreamvoid got the f**k out of here.

sqigls wrote:Breeze 2 has a digital sounding sandy tail...?
I've learned it's best for me not to participate in these kind of threads, but I should note that if "sandy" means sparse and "grainy" (meaning you can hear delay taps fairly late into the impulse response) then that absolutely CAN be true, and it is by design. Sometimes this is desirable for some sources. Synth pads and things with slow envelopes and no transients in general do not really require extreme density, and in fact unnaturally sparse settings can sound very very good. I've made a bunch of presets with the world "sparse" in the title which fall into this category. This is 100% intentional.

And sometimes ultra dense results that approach the density of a convolution verb using a real-world IR are preferable such as:

http://2caudio.com/sitecontent/products ... ber_IR.wav

...which Breeze 2 does just as well... Almost all the 2.0 Chamber and Plate presets are more in this direction...

(@ sqigls, I know that was rhetorical in favor of Breeze2. I just point out the above for everyone else in case its helpful.)
Last edited by Andrew Souter on Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Just to be clear. I didn't mean Breeze 2.0 sounds cheap. One can see there is amazing work behind it. It only didn't sound "natural" *to me* when I applied its hall factory presets on a techno beat.

drwx wrote:Just to be clear. I didn't mean Breeze 2.0 sounds cheap. One can see there is amazing work behind it. It only didn't sound "natural" *to me* when I applied its factory presets on a techno beat. Please calm down...

I'm perfectly calm, don't worry. :wink: I simply attempt to provide some insights in case it is valuable to anyone. The above info can be applied to reverb in general, not just our products. Simply the entire sparse-dense spectrum is valuable in different uses/contexts in verb... that's all I try to communicate in case it's helpful. I just like talking about reverb. :wink: and the ones I can talk most intelligently about are the ones I have helped create... But, ok, I'll stay out the this thread as it's too easy for developers to be perceived as trying to control the discussion or whatever. :tu:

drwx wrote:EDIT: I made this selection by simply trying different presets on every plugin with a techno loop with drums and synths playing in the input....
You slapped a bunch of reverbs straight onto a full mix loop with big kicks and didn't like the results 'cos they sounded a bit grainy? Colour me surprised.

oh pls guys, dont attack, try to educate instead, its more constructive.
sqigls wrote:Breeze 2 has a digital sounding sandy tail...?

it's no wonder dreamvoid got the f**k out of here.
tbh, i do wonder in all truth. I only asked him to render same IRs with both hardware unit and software and let us hear the difference ourselves.

Return to “Effects”