Plug'n script CC data in Midi out ?

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Plug'n Script

Hi,

I'm using a demo version of Blue Cat Plug'n script and I get the following issue I could not solve despite many attempts :
I would like to transform MIDI data in order to add CC MIDI events in output, but it looks like such events are not sent by Plug'n script software.

Irrespective of what I'm trying to achieve, if you simply use the "MIDI log" preset, which is supposed to forward all the MIDI events received, you may be able to reproduce/fix/work-around my problem.

I'm using the plug-in in Cubase and here is what I strangely get :
- with Cubase 7 and "VST3" version of the plug-in : note on/off are correctly forwarded, but not the CC messages ! (Edit mode working correctly)
- with Cubase 7 and "VST" version of the plug-in : note on/off are correctly forwarded, and CC messages as well :), but the Edit mode is not working correctly (so not very useful)
- with Cubase 9.5, only the "VST3" version seems to be recognized. And I get the same symptoms : not forwarding of CC messages.

Could you help me with this ?
do you think there might be a bug ?
or is there something wrong in my setup ?
Could you confirm that you managed to have CC messages correctly forwarded from one MIDI track to another MIDI track in Cubase ?

For info :
"VST" version appears as "BC Plug'n script synth VST" in instrument Rack, and
"VST3" version appears as "Blue cat's plug'n scriptsynth" in the instrument rack.

regards,

Martin

I have forwarded CC messages from PlugnScript to multiple channels, using this code, but it was on OSX with Logic:

Code: Select all

const uint l = data.inputMidiEvents.length;

for (uint i = 0; i != l; i++) {
        const MidiEvent@ evt = @data.inputMidiEvents[i];
        ... else {
            for (uint voice = 0; voice < nrVoices; voice++) {
                MidiEvent evtcpy = evt;
                evtcpy.byte0 = (evtcpy.byte0 & 0xF0) | voiceChannel[voice];
                data.outputMidiEvents.push(evtcpy);
            }

Hi,

This is indeed a limitation of the VST3 format: it actually does not support MIDI at all (yes, it does not!). MIDI notes events work because we do translate note events into Steinberg's new proprietary format, but VST3 has no equivalent of MIDI CC. So you should definitely use the VST version instead.

For the VST issue in Cubase 9, do you have any error message in the plug-in manager? BTW are you running a Mac or Windows system?

Hi,

I'm running on Windows 7.

For Cubase 9.5, I had just installed it and it looked that the paths for the plugins were correctly imported from my previous version of Cubase but it was not actually.
Fixing this made Plug'n script VST version available.

However, I still encountered the issue with the editor dialog box. The editor dialog box is not visible on the right side. Instead, there is a black area above the main window.
By accident, I found the following work-around :
- activate the edit mode by clicking on the "pen" icon,
- switch to Cubase generic editor,
- switch back to the plug-in editor
=> the Edition dialog box now becomes visible
(for info, turning off the edition mode leave the edition dialog box with a large white area as if no window resize took place)

what you write about VST3 not supporting MIDI is worrying !

I was so delighted by the Blue Cat's promise about the "Automation and MIDI output: record output parameters as automation curves or send MIDI CC messages to other plug-ins for powerful side chain effects", but so frustrated after spending one day fighting with Cubase and Plug'n script that I would like to recommend you to explicit somewhere(in the user manual ?) this limitation, and especially, the "note event translation" that you are doing, in order not to make potential customer so disappointed...

thanks anyway for your message.

regards,

Martin

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Hi again,

expliciting VST3 limitations is what you do here :
https://www.bluecataudio.com/Blog/new-r ... -what-for/ (https://www.bluecataudio.com/Blog/new-releases/vst3-plug-ins-released-what-for/)

and note event translation is good per se

also, one can't expect you to thorougly educate users on all what they should know in this computer-assisted musical world.

regards,

Martin

HI Martin,

You are right, we should indeed add more information about the VST3 limitations in the manual. For the window resize issue in Cubase, that's unfortunately a bug Steinberg has never fixed on Windows (it works on Mac and for VST3 on Windows too...). The usual workaround is to close and re-open the window when you need it to be resized.

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”