Korg Microkey-61 + Windows 10

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey all,
I can't seem to get this Korg to work since the Win 10 upgrade. It is my main MIDI controller and I could really use to hear from someone else who has any of these Korg controllers working!
It's weird way of installing the app that watches for the device to install the driver and MIDI port isn't working in 10.. :help:

anyone using any of these controllers?

Have you hit the driver limit.

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

I had the similar issue with my Roland A-49 after upgrading to W10.
Try this: unplug the USB cable, restart your computer and then plug it in again. Then run Windows Update in order to actively search for a driver for your keyboard.

Chapelle wrote:I have the microKEY-37 (2nd Generation). Works without problems here under Windows 10. I just plugged it in and the drivers were installed automatically. I didn't have to install any drivers or software from the KORG site.

I have no idea what could be wrong here, sorry.
I am planning on getting the 61-key version, how are those tiny keys? And how is the Midi interface, any lag?

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Looks like my Korg is actually broken. The USB ports still work, so I had to test around.
I'll have to replace it. The Roland A-49 looks really cool, but spensive...

I think it's a known issue with Korg microkey keyboards. They seem to randomly stop working. This happened to mine, then I saw amazon reviews and noticed I'm not the only one.

Now my microkey has reached the point where it doesn't work on any of my computers (be it Win 7 or 10), and some of them won't even boot when it's connected. There's something seriously funky going on with this keyboard and I never managed to troubleshoot it.

I think this one (from amazon) sums up this controller pretty well:
Good for its price class and key size - until it suddenly, unexpectedly dies
Metal in my heart
Synths in my sound card

A lot of my newest devices with micro/mini USB ports have died :(
It seems that USB cables and ports can be made cheaper than when this started.

bill45 wrote:Have you hit the driver limit.
Driver limit?

It lead me around and around checking Windows' internal list of MIDI devices.
It contains things that have been unplugged for a long time until it's slots get filled.
Maybe some users messed with the ports until they rattled their Korg back to working randomly. It seems like an internal build quality kind of thing. Not related to that Windows list...
Korg: $100 (61-key)
Roland: $280 (49-key)

There's been an issue with the MIDI device limit in Windows, but that can be fixed. It even helped in my case in the beginning, but not for long. There's probably some kind of hardware fault, one of my computers wouldn't boot with it plugged in (a faulty USB device connected), other one wouldn't boot with it plugged in because BitLocker detected some startup changes. At this point I'm not even letting this thing be around my computers.

Normally I would think it's just me being unlucky, but (sorry for repeating myself) just look at the low-star reviews on amazon. It's what it does - it dies. This keyboard is the one thing I ever bought that I admit is a useless piece of junk.
Metal in my heart
Synths in my sound card

I tried mine in a different computer with no reaction. No sound from Windows and no device manager change I mean. That was when I noticed a rattle from inside while carrying it around to try another PC.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”