Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
captain lysergicacid
KVRist

31 posts since 19 Jan, 2018

Postby captain lysergicacid; Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:51 pm What are your favourite parameters for "designing a sound"?

Hi guys!

What are your faveourite parameters for making sounds interesting?

For sure,
Frequency is a very important one
Pan is very effective as well

What parameters or effects do you use, to make sounds "interesting"?
vurt
addled muppet weed

35297 posts since 25 Jan, 2003, from through the looking glass

Postby vurt; Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:54 pm Re: What are your favourite parameters for "designing a sound"?

my mind :D
vurt
addled muppet weed

Postby vurt; Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:56 pm Re: What are your favourite parameters for "designing a sound"?

more seriously, extreme pitch manipulation (towards the low end normally) or bit reduction can yield interesting results, to feed in to delays/filters and such.
dark water
KVRian

798 posts since 2 Jun, 2016

Postby dark water; Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:05 pm Re: What are your favourite parameters for "designing a sound"?

ADSR (seriously), as it allows me to morph a synth's sound from short stabby to long legato, and from slow building to fast fading etc, to add intrigue to a (usually supporting) element.
Lotuzia
KVRAF

9567 posts since 19 Feb, 2004, from Paris

Postby Lotuzia; Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:18 pm Re: What are your favourite parameters for "designing a sound"?

Afaik,, every parameter in a synthesizer must have a setting, and most will be active, so that in the end, the sound is usable for a specific task. Or interesting. So I'd unfortunately say : all :shrug:
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there
vurt
addled muppet weed

Postby vurt; Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:33 pm Re: What are your favourite parameters for "designing a sound"?

Lotuzia wrote:Afaik,, every parameter in a synthesizer must have a setting, and most will be active, so that in the end, the sound is usable for a specific task. Or interesting. So I'd unfortunately say : all :shrug:

pssst... he didn't specify "synth" ;)
Lotuzia
KVRAF

9567 posts since 19 Feb, 2004, from Paris

Postby Lotuzia; Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:38 pm Re: What are your favourite parameters for "designing a sound"?

vurt wrote:
Lotuzia wrote:Afaik,, every parameter in a synthesizer must have a setting, and most will be active, so that in the end, the sound is usable for a specific task. Or interesting. So I'd unfortunately say : all :shrug:

pssst... he didn't specify "synth" ;)

Ooops :dog:
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there
phace
KVRist

178 posts since 21 Mar, 2015

Postby phace; Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:58 pm Re: What are your favourite parameters for "designing a sound"?

in FM - operator ratio
in VA - sync/ring mod, Filter distortion, osc phase, pitch lfo, unison detune, chorus parameters
captain lysergicacid
KVRist

Postby captain lysergicacid; Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:27 am Re: What are your favourite parameters for "designing a sound"?

Thanks a lot for all the inspirational answers! :)

Do you only use these parameters for designing your sound, or do you also use them to make the sounds "evolve",
like, for example,
starting an intro with a certain sound and slowy faiding it in
or slowly raising the frequency etc.

What is the correct name for having a sound and making it "change" while it's played?

And are there interesting combinations of these "morphings" or "evolvings" that go together very well?

For example, playing a sound sequence, and both,
changing the pitch and changing the pan

or somethin like this...
i hope you know what i mean, i am very new to this topic and i don't know the correct names of techniques yet.. But i want to research and learn! :)
AnX
KVRAF

2685 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Postby AnX; Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:03 am Re: What are your favourite parameters for "designing a sound"?

captain lysergicacid wrote:
What are your faveourite parameters for making sounds interesting?

Randomise :lol:
recursive one
KVRAF

3358 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Postby recursive one; Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:42 am Re: What are your favourite parameters for "designing a sound"?

captain lysergicacid wrote:Frequency is a very important one

Frequency of what?

just curious.
I hate incomplete sentences because they ...
thecontrolcentre
KVRAF

22222 posts since 27 Jul, 2005, from the wilds of wanny

Postby thecontrolcentre; Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:57 am Re: What are your favourite parameters for "designing a sound"?

recursive one wrote:

Frequency of what?

just curious.

:ud:
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

11266 posts since 5 Jun, 2012, from Portugal

Postby fluffy_little_something; Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:38 pm Re: What are your favourite parameters for "designing a sound"?

Attack and Decay of the envelopes and filter cutoff frequency 8)
Music Bird
KVRist

39 posts since 23 Apr, 2017, from Eastern US

Postby Music Bird; Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:59 pm Re: What are your favourite parameters for "designing a sound"?

Filter envelopes and resonance, pitch envelopes, and PWM on analog or VA.
Pitch envelope on FM and the many ways to make different sounds on it too.
I don't make EDM, so I don't need what those of you who make it need.
Gear
Casio and Yamaha keyboards (including MX49)
iPad
Soon getting
iPad Air
M-Audio Keystation II 61 (to control iPad and JP-08).
Roland JP-08
For my birthday.
captain lysergicacid
KVRist

Postby captain lysergicacid; Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:36 am Re: What are your favourite parameters for "designing a sound"?

recursive one wrote:

Frequency of what?

just curious.

I was talking about the frequency of the LFO
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Sound Design