What are your favourite parameters for "designing a sound"?

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys!

What are your faveourite parameters for making sounds interesting?

For sure,
Frequency is a very important one
Pan is very effective as well

What parameters or effects do you use, to make sounds "interesting"?

my mind :D

more seriously, extreme pitch manipulation (towards the low end normally) or bit reduction can yield interesting results, to feed in to delays/filters and such.

ADSR (seriously), as it allows me to morph a synth's sound from short stabby to long legato, and from slow building to fast fading etc, to add intrigue to a (usually supporting) element.

Afaik,, every parameter in a synthesizer must have a setting, and most will be active, so that in the end, the sound is usable for a specific task. Or interesting. So I'd unfortunately say : all :shrug:
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Lotuzia wrote:Afaik,, every parameter in a synthesizer must have a setting, and most will be active, so that in the end, the sound is usable for a specific task. Or interesting. So I'd unfortunately say : all :shrug:

pssst... he didn't specify "synth" ;)

vurt wrote:
Lotuzia wrote:Afaik,, every parameter in a synthesizer must have a setting, and most will be active, so that in the end, the sound is usable for a specific task. Or interesting. So I'd unfortunately say : all :shrug:

pssst... he didn't specify "synth" ;)
Ooops :dog:
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

in FM - operator ratio
in VA - sync/ring mod, Filter distortion, osc phase, pitch lfo, unison detune, chorus parameters

Thanks a lot for all the inspirational answers! :)

Do you only use these parameters for designing your sound, or do you also use them to make the sounds "evolve",
like, for example,
starting an intro with a certain sound and slowy faiding it in
or slowly raising the frequency etc.

What is the correct name for having a sound and making it "change" while it's played?

And are there interesting combinations of these "morphings" or "evolvings" that go together very well?

For example, playing a sound sequence, and both,
changing the pitch and changing the pan

or somethin like this...
i hope you know what i mean, i am very new to this topic and i don't know the correct names of techniques yet.. But i want to research and learn! :)

captain lysergicacid wrote:
What are your faveourite parameters for making sounds interesting?
Randomise :lol:

captain lysergicacid wrote: Frequency is a very important one
Frequency of what?

just curious.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote:
Frequency of what?

just curious.
:ud:

Attack and Decay of the envelopes and filter cutoff frequency 8)

Filter envelopes and resonance, pitch envelopes, and PWM on analog or VA.
Pitch envelope on FM and the many ways to make different sounds on it too.
I don't make EDM, so I don't need what those of you who make it need.
Many paid and free VSTs as well as Kontakt libraries. As well as HW synths/drum machine and acoustic instruments.

recursive one wrote:
Frequency of what?

just curious.
I was talking about the frequency of the LFO

Return to “Sound Design”