TAL Sampler

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TAL-Sampler

Saukar30 wrote:I would love a plus version. Multitimbral, multiple outputs, more envelopes & lfos, instead of the eq (That's at the bottom) an additional filter, more reverb delay algorithims, a ring modulator effect..and of course the ability to have more samples per layer.
More envelopes and lfo (not a lot more, just a 2 more of each of them would do for me) and an additional filter would be very well received here.

I'd like also a bigger matrix (at least double the current slots number), because I easily run out of slots when I use modwheel or aftertouch to add variations for performance. Right now, scaling a modulation amount (for example lfo to filter cutoff) by another parameter (for example modulation wheel) requires two slots (the modulation wheel targets the amount of the other modulation slot), because the matrix lacks a "scale" feature like in Thor (also z3t4+, if I remember correctly).

More effects could be interesting as they could be targets for performance controls (for example you can use the modwheel to increase both the filter cutoff and the reverb amount at the same time while playing).

The eq can useful in my opinion, I'd even like one more band. It's a target for the modulation matrix, so it can be used to dynamically sculpt the sound (that's its strenght).
For example, you can modulate the gain with the third envelope, so it cuts the most only when the main filter cutoff is going through certain frequencies (where maybe there's a build up or something else that may sound bad and require cutting in some specific parts of the sound to compensate). It can be used as a sort of dynamic eq...

Now you may have an idea of how I manage to run out of modulation slots... :lol:

Kontakt or Halion may give me more of these features, but they don't have the sound of TAL Sampler and its fast workflow... :(
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

I made a bunch of preset files for owners / users of the old Bitword Oxide Kit Vol1 (Wavefront Edition).

You can get the download here.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=498803
Last edited by V0RT3X on Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote:
Saukar30 wrote:I would love a plus version. Multitimbral, multiple outputs, more envelopes & lfos, instead of the eq (That's at the bottom) an additional filter, more reverb delay algorithims, a ring modulator effect..and of course the ability to have more samples per layer.

Lemme introduce you to Kontakt then, you'll love it

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... kontakt-5/

:lol:
I have Kontakt. The only reason i have it because it does do all of that... but Kontakt is not Tal. I can assign controllers to the parameters and they stay no matter which preset I use. And I dont wanna go into how I feel about how Kontakt sounds. However... besides Tal Sampler.. its my most used VST.

Kontakt is Kontakt. But sometimes there is a need for something simple & focused as far as workflow on 1 screen.

Btw... I didnt know that in Tal you cant right click a control to assign it. That definitely needs to be added
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

Well, I would like to see the effects gone onto a separate page and with a nice, hefty off/on on them, because I don't use them, only for fun. When you use something like Effectrix, or just some seriously good quality FX chain on it, you will see why I say that. The FX are a joke. Especially 1-band EQ [seriously?!]. Why is that useless thing taking up GUI space at all?

That would leave more space on the main page for things that matter, like synthesis. Not that I miss much, but a second parallel/serial filter would be welcome, as well as multiple outputs and more layers routeable to different outputs. So you could have a nice drum kit, for example and you could put different FX on them without having to open 8 instances of TAL-Sampler.

This might sound like a rant, but it's not. :hihi: I'm seriously satisfied with TAL-S! Even though it's a bit hard to work with it since you can use only one sound per instance. I have 6 hardware samplers and all of them have multiple outputs and extensive layering capabilities. In a mix you have to be able to process different sounds with different FX so it doesn't make sense to put more sounds into TAL-S if there are no more outputs than one stereo output.

The solution? Use 156 different TAL-S instances in a project! [a bit sarc.] :hihi: But it's worth it IMO. :cool:

3 envelopes, 3 LFOs, great filter, mod-matrix which can route everything to anything is pretty good for me. Many VSTis lack the 3rd ENV and 3rd LFO. I simply love having them. :tu:
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

egbert101 wrote:Would you guys be interested in a more complex version of Tal-Sampler? More synthesis capabilities, for example? Or do you prefer it as simple and straightforward?
Simple and straighforward!

straightbackward and simples
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Straightforward and simple is perfect.

Just one thing I'm missing, or I just haven't yet found it:
In the mapping editor page, I'd like to have layer switch, so I don't have to go back and then select another layer to go into its details.
Last edited by stardustmedia on Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

The description the author gives TAL Sampler is exactly the reason I love it exactly how it is:
The idea is to bring back the fun sampling was in the good old times with small samples, fast loading times and an intuitive work-flow to create your own sample presets without getting lost in the settings.

<delete>
<List your stupid gear here>

Another vote for multiple outputs here.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

I do like simple and straightforward but I’d welcome multiple outputs.

mjudge55 wrote:I do like simple and straightforward but I’d welcome multiple outputs.
Completely agree. The reason why I use this over Kontakt is the simplicity.
Multi outs won't change that at all.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

The problem is, they've done it in a different way. Not the usual velocity layers>key-groups>program>multi hierarchy way as Akai samplers use, for example. [Kontakt uses it and takes it to anther level] Which is pretty intuitive, for me at least. TAL-Sampler has key-groups with velocity-layers within a program, so it's like having one "program" in Akai sampler, except that you can layer 4 such sample-groups, but with only one DCA/DCF setting. <--that is weird, but interesting.

In Akai, every program has an assignable output and different DCA, DCF etc. settings. It is something that made Akais great IMHO. ;) If only everyone into making software samplers would stick to the same simple philosophy... It makes it possible to have different drums, with different DCA/DCF settings routed to different outputs. Every drum/sound can be a program in Akai. Implementing this would require too many changes in TAL-sampler, I'm afraid. :(

What would be useful and more easily implemented is to at least have a different output and settings [DCA/DCF] per layer. You can lose the A,B,C,D buttons on the filter then, which I find extremely weird. When you select a different layer, you get another set of envelope and other settings. :tu: This might be even planned, judging by the looks of it. ;)

But if it had like 8-16 different programs, each with its own mono/stereo output, envelope/filter settings and mod-matrix, each program having key-groups with velocity-layers... that would be a perfect hardware sampler emulation. :tu: :pray: [not just Akais use this same sample hierarchy. It just makes so much sense.]

This is not a rant. Just a "dissection", or like a mini-review of TAL-Sampler's "ways". ;)

Cheers!
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

I would actually love to see an even simpler, single-layer version of Sampler with a smaller GUI and no effects, MOD matrix or macros.

Speed and workflow are everything to me and what currently bugs me a lot is that the pitch tracking button and the root note & high/low settings are behind another tab I have to go in every time to set correctly, while half of the GUI is full of stuff I don't ever use (because I already have a dozen EQ/reverb/delay effects, like everyone else).

If you're looking for interesting *sampler* features that could make TAL Sampler even more interesting, look at plugins like Vengeance Phalanx, which has a very cool retrigger feature and a random start offset knob, which makes every note sound slightly different and thus more organic.

Just my 2c. I use TAL Sampler occasionally for drum sampling duties, I like the DAC and stretch/density part of it a lot, because that's something other samplers *don't* have.

PS: I also wouldn't mind paying more for TAL Sampler if it had more unique features that made it stand out - it's very affordable as it is. I think something like $99 would be very fair for a sampler that has a feature set that clearly no-one else does.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”