Computer Issue

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Since my computer guy isn't available, and nobody I know on Facebook is a computer nerd, I have to ask this somewhere and hope for some answers...

I turned on my PC the other morning and no picture came up. I figured it might be a graphics card problem, so I prepared to turn off and switch to my on-board graphics... pushed button in and held it for 10+ seconds and nothing. I had to cut the power switch in the back to turn it off. Since then, I've tried switching monitors, power cords, and graphics cards... still doesn't work!

My PC is an 8-core AMD with a terabyte platter drive and a 256gb SSD, 16gb ddr3 ram running windows 7 pro. Any ideas on anything else I can check?

Help! :cry:

Maybe its the monitor itself. Have you tried it with another one?
Can this thread be erased?
Im tired of the fanboys and the clueless know it alls.

Yes, I have... no luck...

Here's an idea - long shot but you never know!

A friend of mine had exactly the same problem, after a bit of random trial and error it boiled down to it being the little usb dongle for the wireless mouse which was stopping it booting for some reason. I'd try unplugging any usb things and see, just to be sure.

donkey tugger wrote:Here's an idea - long shot but you never know!

A friend of mine had exactly the same problem, after a bit of random trial and error it boiled down to it being the little usb dongle for the wireless mouse which was stopping it booting for some reason. I'd try unplugging any usb things and see, just to be sure.
Tried that, too. I have a dongle for the wi-fi that I unplugged and it still doesn't work... grrrr!!! :evil:

Fortunately, my computer guy finally got back to me and he's going to look at it tomorrow... thanks everyone that tried to help out.

Karl the Hermit wrote: I turned on my PC the other morning and no picture came up. I figured it might be a graphics card problem, so I prepared to turn off and switch to my on-board graphics... pushed button in and held it for 10+ seconds and nothing. I had to cut the power switch in the back to turn it off.
swap out the powersupply for a known good unit - it's most likely that

jdnz wrote:
Karl the Hermit wrote: I turned on my PC the other morning and no picture came up. I figured it might be a graphics card problem, so I prepared to turn off and switch to my on-board graphics... pushed button in and held it for 10+ seconds and nothing. I had to cut the power switch in the back to turn it off.
swap out the powersupply for a known good unit - it's most likely that
Good idea, but I think my only other good power supply is real old and doesn't have the wattage to crank up the newer computer. I will run that by my tech guy, though... thanks!

I assume youve removed/unplugged anything that isnt essential to the running of the PC
i.e. its barebones

Youve tried running it in safe mode?
From safe mode you can try running a selective or diagnostic start up

Check your BIOS settings or try resetting the BIOS to factory config
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Maadfoo wrote:Maybe its the monitor itself. Have you tried it with another one?
Karl the Hermit wrote:Yes, I have... no luck...
maybe sounds silly...but did you also use a cable you know is good? doesnt really help to swap out just the monitor, you need to swap out everything.
ImageImageImage

VariKusBrainZ wrote:I assume youve removed/unplugged anything that isnt essential to the running of the PC
i.e. its barebones

Youve tried running it in safe mode?
From safe mode you can try running a selective or diagnostic start up

Check your BIOS settings or try resetting the BIOS to factory config
Can't get to safe mode. I turn on computer, tv screen stays blank, and when I try to hold the button in to turn it off (10-15 seconds), it stays on... fans going, lights on, etc...

Does it beep? If yes, how often?
If not, +1 for power supply or motherboard, in that order.

noizetronic wrote:Does it beep? If yes, how often?
...jot down in morse-ISH The beep sequence and check bios manual for a match

noizetronic wrote:Does it beep? If yes, how often?
I had a similar problem with my iMac. The display went black, and from that moment onwards, it never came back. I was able to hear the fans working, but no image.

It happened it was the MoBo that died. Probably, it's the same with you. Some fuse in the MoBo went down, and it doesn't pass the init tests, therefore, no boot.
Fernando (FMR)

Only time I've had this happen is when my monitor died and another time when my PSU died.

We can rule out the drives because you should at least get it to boot from the bios which it does automatically before the OS starts.

Switch it off at the wall to make sure it's fully powering off.

Try booting with some hard wear disconnected like the hard drives power leads disconnected and unplug all USB devices.

Try another PSU a PSU looses output over time, buying one that has more juice than you need allows it to live longer with less loss over time.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”