Ribs

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ribs v1.2.3 stable is finally here: https://yadi.sk/d/hPyKrGTk3KbiXJ
The manual is updated and included in the archive :)

Though standalones are still in beta and not the 1st priority, it'd be good if those of you who are OSX users would run Ribs.app on a real physical machine and check if you can get any sound from it.

If you want to support the project I appreciate that a lot, you can use these links:
https://www.paypal.me/EugeneYakshin
https://www.patreon.com/eugeneyakshin

Many thanks for the continued updates. Much appreciated!

Thanks, Eugene. This version is much more stable on Sonar X3. Great work!

sorry to be a pain, has anyone got it working in samplitude?

it seems to fill up with audio data ok, but doesn't seem to respond to notes?

its ok, i got it going.
spent the past few hours destroying/making sounds :)

you my friend have earned yourself a drink or two :D

Glad you liked it, guys :)

Thanks for the update, 1eqinfinity!
Love the envelope follower addition, for refilling.
i still think Ribs needs online presence. A KVR entry in the 'News' section and its own plugin page, at least.

Lets push it to the next OSC...

I can't be the first to mention this here, and it's briefly mentioned in the manual, but it bears repeating that BUFFER CONTENTS ARE NOT SAVED AT ALL, EVER! I learned it the hard way, spending most of last night cultivating the most awesome sound that of course no longer exists when I opened my project today.

So I misunderstood the function of this plugin. It's geared toward manipulation of a live input and I tried to force it to be a granular, sample-mangling Instrument; it's really more of an effect, so record your sound experiments or they will never be heard again. If you're in Reaper like me you need to set your track to "Record: Output (stereo)" and feed it live or recorded audio.

Wish I could have it both ways, but it's still the closest thing I've found to what I've been searching for in terms of sample manipulation, so thanks again for this top-notch and unconventional free tool, Eugene Yakshin! :phones: :tu: :D

While I'm here I might as well mention my only three small suggestions for improvement (apart from saveable buffers, obviously):

1) Concerning the somewhat "confusing GUI," It seems like it would help readability to simply make the ratio matrix look more clearly like piano keys (Black key backgrounds up top and white key backgrounds below). An octave of piano keys will at least look more familiar to most than a series of cryptic ratios.

2) I could also help simplify the interface if when some controls are dim and disabled, e.g. "step" knob in SIMPLE mode could state in the info tooltip to "activate SIMPLE mode to use this knob." Before I became accustomed to the interface, seeing full descriptions of a disabled parameters without understanding how to activate them was quick to to frustrate and overwhelm me.

3) Fine Playrate MIDI control. Is there a way? I'd prefer to work inside a smaller range with smoother transitions than I get when I map a rotary knob on my MIDI controller to the Playrate parameter. A way to "clamp" the range would be most helpful. It's smooth holding ctrl and LMB, but I'm trying to use only a MIDI controller.

Thanks again!
Last edited by Wyrrdbryyngr on Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

foxAsteria wrote:I can't be the first to mention this here, and it's briefly mentioned in the manual, but it bears repeating that BUFFER CONTENTS ARE NOT SAVED AT ALL, EVER! I learned it the hard way, spending most of last night cultivating the most awesome sound that of course no longer exists when I opened my project today.
Man... I feel your pain, seriously. It's posible to add manual buffer saving and loading in the future.
While I'm here I might as well mention my only three small suggestions for improvement
Thanks a lot, appreciate it! I'll improve param descriptions. Nice idea with playrate range for MIDI CC! As to the ratio matrix, I'm afraid I have to give an answer that I personaly don't like receiving myself: is't an intentional design choice :P

1eqinfinity wrote: It's posible to add manual buffer saving and loading in the future.
WOW, it would be the cherry on the cake, really ! :o :love:
U N I S O N : shoegaze/electronic wall of sound with heavenly voice
https://soundcloud.com/weareunison / https://www.facebook.com/unison666 / https://weareunison.com/

1eqinfinity wrote:As to the ratio matrix, I'm afraid I have to give an answer that I personaly don't like receiving myself: is't an intentional design choice :P
Fair enough, but would something like this really be such a departure from it?

All the same, thanks for listening to my requests! :)

foxAsteria wrote:would something like this really be such a departure from it?
Actually yes, imo it would. I had something like this in the early prototypes and experimented with options quite a bit. The only option that I really liked was the current one. If you unfocus your sight and look at the UI, perhaps you might agree that this thick light line creates some sort of redundant gravity to itself. It disbalances the overall feel, at least the way I see it. The same thing is true to use buf flags by the way - I'm not 100% happy with the way they look.
And anyway, you already solved the mystery :wink:

Btw, perhaps you would like to install Roboto Mono font from the distribution archive to make all the labels look like they do in the videos.
All the same, thanks for listening to my requests!
Thank you for sharing them, really!

foxAsteria wrote:
1eqinfinity wrote:As to the ratio matrix, I'm afraid I have to give an answer that I personaly don't like receiving myself: is't an intentional design choice :P
Fair enough, but would something like this really be such a departure from it?… (picture)
Personally, i like the current graphic of the matrix. The positioning alludes to 11 keys on the keyboard, and the colouring affords the user some free-association. The latter being in harmony with non-standard ratios, when set in BEATS mode or custom pitch intervals in NOTES mode.
foxAsteria wrote:… BUFFER CONTENTS ARE NOT SAVED AT ALL, EVER!
If this were to be implemented, then may i suggest it happens in the background, without the need for manually hitting a 'Store' button?! It could be only occuring when the Refill Mode is set to HOLD.

I'm finally getting my head around this thing. Got some interesting loops and textures going ... thank you for this cool (if rather cryptic) plugin. :tu:

Return to “Instruments”