Logic X controller assignments make no sense!?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Why is it so bloody complicated? I want to be able to simply assign cc16 to X and cc17 to Y in Alchemy. There doesn't seem to be any way to manually enter this, instead there's this ridiculously complex assignment setup page where you either have to learn a control, which is really hit and miss, or a gazillion options to enter stuff, most of which mean nothing to me, but nothing that looks like 'enter cc no here'.

How do you manually add CC's (not learn which doesn't seem to work well)?

Hit B (opens the MIDI controller assignment GUI window in the bottom = way easier to handle), click learn for MIDI, turn MIDI controller, deactivate learn, click learn for plugin, click parameter in Alchemy, deactivate learn.

There you can also define min, max values, select a non-linear behaviour. You can even assign multiple parameter to one MIDI CC = MACRO.

When you hit B, you already get a preconfigured MIDI assignments, depending on what is in the channel. It will use the most common parameters automatically.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

I want to enter CC's manually - learn is too erratic

Really? It works quite straight forward here.
What do you mean by erratic?

What you can do is to assign [any] MIDI CC to the desired parameter, then in the expert view (the pop up window, not the one in the bottom) you enter the MIDI CC you want. But that's not as simple as you wanted.

I don't know of an easy way to enter MIDI CC values manually.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

It just doesn't seem to learn or remember stuff consistently. The expert view is the one that's confusing me, so many options but can't see any for simply entering a cc number.

stardustmedia wrote:What do you mean by erratic?
Simply if you have a controller which pulls out several different ccs at the same time, like an expressive instrument or a joystick, you need to be able at least to correct it after learn...

Not sure you'll like this solution but this is the one I prefer to assign CCs.
I use the Modifier MIDI FX.
At "Input Event" I'd place 16 General Purpose 1.
Then for "Re-Assign To" I'd use the - Lear Plug-in Parameter -.
But, to "learn" the said parameter I'd use Alchemy's Controls View setting and just change/touch the Transform Pad X slider's value.
Changing the slider's value when learning is quite easy.
My 2 cents.

Would be simply nicer if you don't need that work around...

Yeah I don't understand why it doesn't seem possible with all those options to enter cc manually

Still trying to find a way for SMART controls to be assigned to CC that works consistently with my controllers. Logic is so advanced in most respects and yet support for controllers is terrible. Can't get it to work properly with my Lightpad M block either now.

This is the area where Logic is frustrating... you also cannot easily use two different controllers at the same time.

In most other respects Logic reigns supreme, but controller support seems poorly thought out, on the one hand over complicated, and yet not able to do simple things like manually enter a cc or pre configure a SMART controls mapping that works for all instances of a device.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”