Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
zzz00m
KVRian

1093 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Postby zzz00m; Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:42 pm MIDI Learn for Tracktion Collective & Biotek

I cannot find any way to assign a MIDI control to a parameter knob in the Tracktion synths.

The automation parameters work, but I am looking for a way to assign a performance control by mapping a knob on my controller to a control knob in Biotek.

Is there any way to do this? A text search of both manuals for "learn" came up with "0" hits.

Thanks!
Windows 10; with instruments from AIR, Ample Sound, AAS, Cakewalk, IK Multimedia, iZotope, KV331, NI, SONiVOX, TAL, Tracktion, u-he, Way Out Ware, XLN, others...
TSC
Tracktioneer

504 posts since 31 Dec, 2012, from Seattle

Postby TSC; Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:48 pm Re: MIDI Learn for Tracktion Collective & Biotek

Tracktion Software Corporation
zzz00m
KVRian

Postby zzz00m; Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:45 pm Re: MIDI Learn for Tracktion Collective & Biotek

TSC wrote:Check this out:

Yup, thanks! I got that part. That works fine in the context of the Tracktion DAW. But that feature is totally dependent on the Tracktion host.

The Biotek and Collective instruments are VST plugins, so they may be used in other hosts. In all other modern VST instruments that I have, they offer an internal MIDI learn feature, that is completely independent from the host. Click learn in the plugin UI, move a knob on the controller so the VST can capture the MIDI CC#, and you are good to go.

I have been unable to locate this feature in the Tracktion synths. I also use Studio One and Ableton Live as VST hosts, and it would be great to be able to use these synths with other DAWs, while still being able to have MIDI learn functionality.
Windows 10; with instruments from AIR, Ample Sound, AAS, Cakewalk, IK Multimedia, iZotope, KV331, NI, SONiVOX, TAL, Tracktion, u-he, Way Out Ware, XLN, others...
chico.co.uk
KVRAF

2090 posts since 17 Jun, 2003

Postby chico.co.uk; Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:11 am Re: MIDI Learn for Tracktion Collective & Biotek

Do the midi learn features built into those hosts not work with Biotek and Collective?
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"
zzz00m
KVRian

Postby zzz00m; Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:04 am Re: MIDI Learn for Tracktion Collective & Biotek

chico.co.uk wrote:Do the midi learn features built into those hosts not work with Biotek and Collective?

I realize those hosts offer control surface mapping.

But what I was referring to was the simple grab and go 'MIDI learn' offered by many plugins, without needing to map CC#s in the host. A controller is capable of sending MIDI CC to a plugin without being mapped in the host. Useful for quickly mapping volume, cutoff, resonance, etc.

For a good example, load up an instance of SynthMaster One or 2 in your host of choice. Right click on any knob and select "Midi Learn". Then turn a knob on your controller. The plugin remembers this CC link without needing the host to manage it.

I like both methods, as each is suited to a different task. Just noticed recently that the Tracktion synths do not appear to have this feature as far as I can tell, so that was why I was asking. This is a fairly common feature with many other plugins, although some do use a "Learn" button instead of 'right-click' context menus.

A short list of a few companies that enable this MIDI learn function in their synths: AIR, Cakewalk, IK Multimedia, iZotope, Native Instruments,TAL, u-he ... :tu:
TSC
Tracktioneer

504 posts since 31 Dec, 2012, from Seattle

Postby TSC; Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:01 pm Re: MIDI Learn for Tracktion Collective & Biotek

Its been requested a couple of times - and is on the development list - just not got a date when it will be released :)
Tracktion Software Corporation
zzz00m
KVRian

Postby zzz00m; Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:19 pm Re: MIDI Learn for Tracktion Collective & Biotek

TSC wrote:Its been requested a couple of times - and is on the development list - just not got a date when it will be released :)

Thanks for that info and clarification. :tu:

It would be a worthy feature update. :D

Especially for folks who work with more than one host. Having the plugin remember its CC links globally would be an advantage. For example, if you started a project in Waveform with Biotek, then exported your tracks to another DAW to finish the project, your plugin could remember the CC mappings, without having to duplicate the control surface setup in a 2nd host.
chico.co.uk
KVRAF

2090 posts since 17 Jun, 2003

Postby chico.co.uk; Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:50 am Re: MIDI Learn for Tracktion Collective & Biotek

zzz00m wrote:
TSC wrote:Its been requested a couple of times - and is on the development list - just not got a date when it will be released :)

Thanks for that info and clarification. :tu:

It would be a worthy feature update. :D

Especially for folks who work with more than one host. Having the plugin remember its CC links globally would be an advantage. For example, if you started a project in Waveform with Biotek, then exported your tracks to another DAW to finish the project, your plugin could remember the CC mappings, without having to duplicate the control surface setup in a 2nd host.

Does that actually work? If you map a hardware controller to a plugin, in one host, then use the plugin in another host, it remembers the mappings? I'm not sure I understand how that would work ...
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"
zzz00m
KVRian

Postby zzz00m; Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:35 pm Re: MIDI Learn for Tracktion Collective & Biotek

chico.co.uk wrote:
Does that actually work? If you map a hardware controller to a plugin, in one host, then use the plugin in another host, it remembers the mappings? I'm not sure I understand how that would work ...

Sorry, have been away and forgot to answer this question...

Yes, it can work very well. The MIDI learn function in a plugin is not dependent on the host MIDI map, or control surface settings. It will even work if your controller is not configured as a control surface in the host. The plugin simply receives a MIDI CC# directly from your MIDI hardware and responds to that CC#, if configured to do so.

But it up to the plugin developer, as there does not seem to be any standard. I think the gold standard may be the way that KV331 implemented it in SynthMaster and SynthMaster One, giving you a choice for MIDI Learn (Preset) or MIDI Learn (Global) in the right click context menus.

The KV331 synths can store this data and if opened in another host, will continue to respond to the assigned CC#.

Some other synths have MIDI learn, but are dependent on the host to save the learned assignment with the project. In that case, just opening another project, or creating a new one will require resetting the controls for that synth.

My best example for this would be with using my keyboard controller as a control surface in Tracktion Waveform, but only assigning the transport controls, and the master volume fader assigned to rotary control (knob #1) in the control surface mappings.

By using MIDI learn In SynthMaster, I might have some rotary knobs set up for wavetable index (knob #5), and phase (knob #6), and the filter cutoff (knob #7) and resonance (knob #8).

These SynthMaster knob assignments will follow me to any project or host on the same computer.

Nice! :clap:

Moderator: Tracktion Mods

Return to Tracktion

FEATURED
KVR Developer Challenge 2018 is Go
Advertisements