Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
fmr
KVRAF

6686 posts since 16 Mar, 2003, from Porto - Portugal

Postby fmr; Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:24 am Re: Use machine learning to generate brand new never-before-heard sounds

to_the_sun wrote:Such hostility. I fear this post is no longer on a productive track. Oh well…

I do play several hours a day. And even when the AIs are making better music than I ever could, I still will be, because I find it enjoyable not because it might make me money.

True that new sounds are not necessarily usable. That's the point of the adversarial network. It refines the results until the discriminator can't tell the difference between real and generated.

What discriminator? And what is the "real" in this case?

to_the_sun wrote: No, machine learning doesn't make choices. That's not how it works. But what's "good" is determined by the training examples

So, what you will end up is variations of something that already existed. There are synths that already have this incorporated. Not exactly what you may looking for, but there are. And it's no big deal.

to_the_sun wrote: Oh, and yes, the AIs are beginning to program themselves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVv68aHYSs4

Believe in just half of what you see, and even that half, you should keep questioning. The problem is always "the choices". Humans learn basically by trial and error, But machines can't sepoarate what is "right" from what is "wrong" (because that's subjective, right from start). So, they can be guided by someone, but that will just lead to results that are considered good buy that "someone" - not necessarily by others.

Remember that we are not dealing with some objective and measurable reality.
Fernando (FMR)
Gamma-UT
KVRAF

3927 posts since 8 Jun, 2009, from UK

Postby Gamma-UT; Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:26 am Re: Use machine learning to generate brand new never-before-heard sounds

vurt wrote:look at the image thing they did, it was great if you wanted every pic to look like some hideous dog lovecraftian abstraction.
was great for five mins...

Based on your recommendation I went to look at the video and imagine my disappointment to find, instead of nameless horrors of the deep and the subjugation of sanity at the mountains of madness, pictures of golfers attempting a hole in one from a coral reef.

Cthulhu will not be pleased.
to_the_sun
KVRist

35 posts since 14 Jun, 2013

Postby to_the_sun; Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:59 am Re: Use machine learning to generate brand new never-before-heard sounds

@fmr It seems this thread has reached the point where people are commenting without having read the whole thing (or watched the original video), so it's probably time that it should end. If you had, you would know what "discriminator" is referring to. I would suggest educating yourself a little more about what machine learning is and what it can do before being so assertive with your opinions on the topic.
vurt
addled muppet weed

34296 posts since 25 Jan, 2003, from through the looking glass

Postby vurt; Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:27 am Re: Use machine learning to generate brand new never-before-heard sounds

Gamma-UT wrote:
vurt wrote:look at the image thing they did, it was great if you wanted every pic to look like some hideous dog lovecraftian abstraction.
was great for five mins...

Based on your recommendation I went to look at the video and imagine my disappointment to find, instead of nameless horrors of the deep and the subjugation of sanity at the mountains of madness, pictures of golfers attempting a hole in one from a coral reef.

Cthulhu will not be pleased.

no, that machine learning art thing they did a couple years back.
vurt
addled muppet weed

Postby vurt; Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:29 am Re: Use machine learning to generate brand new never-before-heard sounds

to_the_sun wrote:@fmr It seems this thread has reached the point where people are commenting without having read the whole thing (or watched the original video), so it's probably time that it should end. If you had, you would know what "discriminator" is referring to. I would suggest educating yourself a little more about what machine learning is and what it can do before being so assertive with your opinions on the topic.

or are commenting on previous ai experiments, that while interesting never really did much.
hopefully in the future ai will be amazing, but where we are now, im not so sure.
Gamma-UT
KVRAF

3927 posts since 8 Jun, 2009, from UK

Postby Gamma-UT; Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:37 am Re: Use machine learning to generate brand new never-before-heard sounds

vurt wrote:no, that machine learning art thing they did a couple years back.

Ah, OK. Missed that one.

I take it back anyway. The baby pics from the MIT mob that did this do look as though they've been designed by a couple of Old Ones armed with a large mound of flesh-coloured plasticine: http://carlvondrick.com/tinyvideo/
vurt
addled muppet weed

Postby vurt; Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:46 am Re: Use machine learning to generate brand new never-before-heard sounds

as a slight off topic, ive recently discovered on talk radio, a guy who think ai is actually going to summon the old ones and that geordie rose(sp?) is in league with satan.
and were bad for not agreeing that ai is the future of sound design? :o
Previous

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Sound Design